Keep cutting, or recomp?

Options
Hello all and thanks in advance for any advice.
I have lost about 34 pounds and am already well below my original "goal weight" I am currently sitting at about 14% body fat % and want to get down to 10%
I want to eventually be about 10# heavier but with lean muscle. Is it better to just keep cutting till I hit 10% then start a lean bulk, or should I work on trying to recomp at maintenance?
Not looking for the "quickest" way, or any shortcuts, just trying to do it the best way.
Thanks all!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Pics would help
  • dmankruoss
    dmankruoss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on you. I would personally cut to 10% then bulk as you will already be lean. If you are okay with being 14% then bulking go for it
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Cut to 10% if you're really 14%. The question is are you really 14% body fat?
  • vallenato1978
    vallenato1978 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...that is kind of what I thought but I wanted some feedback.
    Am I really 14%? Good question, but I think so. Its what the caliper says and my Nokia scale fluctuates between 14%-15% (even though I have heard that these scales aren't the most accurate).
    Any tips to get down those last few percent? I haven't stalled yet...but I have heard that getting down the last bit to 10% can be tough. Thanks!
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    In terms of getting down more, it’s just losing more weight, lower your cals. Also, calipers and scales are pretty inaccurate, go by the mirror or post a pic so we can help you....
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...that is kind of what I thought but I wanted some feedback.
    Am I really 14%? Good question, but I think so. Its what the caliper says and my Nokia scale fluctuates between 14%-15% (even though I have heard that these scales aren't the most accurate).
    Any tips to get down those last few percent? I haven't stalled yet...but I have heard that getting down the last bit to 10% can be tough. Thanks!

By personal experience, I usually stall when I am close to 10% or under, so you should be fine. Since you have not much to lose, you're better off cutting at 0.5 lbs per week. I did the mistake on my recent cut of going at 1 lb and I notice I lose strength much more easily at that rate.
  • vallenato1978
    Options
    Yeah I hear you....I realize the accuracy isn't perfect. Its more how I look and feel. Interesting on changing to 0.5 a week, I will try that. Here are a couple current photos. 4w3q0b8ip4da.jpg
    cu835oeq2whw.jpg
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Tbh you look a little more in the 15-18 range. I would definitely keep cutting further until you see more definition before you decide on a bulk. You could run a very slight deficit and recomp as well, because cutting down a lot without muscle base/ composition (just stating the truth to help you) kinda just makes you skinny lean, unless you did that and then bulked up, but I’d just run a slight deficit and track your programming to know you’re making progress. How/ what is your program/ goals in terms of lifting
  • vallenato1978
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense. For me its more how I feel and look than the number I guess. Do you think that a slight deficit is better than a moderate one? I am currently on the 1lb per week plan. I don't mind continuing that, but if doing a smaller deficit would be better and hopefully help me lose less muscle I would be open to that. I am not in a huge rush, just want to do it the best way I can. As for lifting I do PPL 3 days a week currently. My goals are just to add some definition and muscle, but nothing too crazy....I am 40 :)