Perspective

Options
pinuplove
pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Having been here since 2011, I've got a fair bit of weight history in MFP. I lost ~65 pounds in 2012-early 2013 to reach a low of 136. Over the next 5 years, through some ups and downs, I managed to re-gain 50 pounds.

Gah! How horrible! What kind of glutton was I to gain 50 pounds?? Then I broke it down by the numbers.
50 pounds in 5 years = 10 pounds per year = 35,000 extra calories / 365 days = 95.89 calories over maintenance per day. Let's say 100 just because I like round numbers.

Put another way, that's:
A (small) roll with dinner
An extra spoonful of the main course
A banana with breakfast
(Not even) one can of soda a day

Or:
One restaurant meal out per week, with appetizer and maybe a drink
A bottle of wine over the course of a week
A decadent dessert (and then some) (Example )

Or:
Parking as close as possible, always taking the elevator, and watching a TV show instead of taking a walk.

Do any of these little things look familiar? They certainly do to me. Now I've managed to convince myself of 2 things:
1. I'm not a horrible huge failure for succumbing to weight creep. I was just a little over-indulgent and a bit lazy over a long period of time.
2. Small things matter. This is just as applicable to weight loss as it is to weight gain. That's why forming small, good habits during weight loss is more effective at keeping the weight off than a crash diet followed by a return to your old behaviors.

I'm 12 pounds from my previous low of 136 and taking it nice and easy. I'm not doing anything I'm not willing to continue into maintenance. And it feels good :smile: Be kind to yourself, but also be consistent. Your patience will be rewarded.

Replies

• William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Best message ever for others struggling
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you.
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think I need to print your breakdown and post it on my fridge! It puts things in perspective when you realize it's the small things that add up like that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Way to go! I think this way as well in breaking down data, but you made it happen, what an inspirational post!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. Some tough-minded arithmetic really puts "weight creep with aging" and similar quibbles into a context. Well done!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great perspective. i'm a big fan of the extra bread roll and celebrate that awesome close parking spot
  • Silhouette199
    Silhouette199 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Extremely eye opening!! I've gained approximately 33 lbs. and this posts really hits home!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Exactly! It’s amazing how eating something as little as just an extra cookie or something like that a day can lead to so much weight gain over time. It’s really no wonder how people wind up overweight. Maintaining a healthy weight takes a conscious effort for most people.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’ve run my numbers this way before and it’s kind of depressing knowing I’m just a cookie away from returning to my highest weight (if I were to have an extra 100 calories or so every day) So I must remain vigilant! For me, keeping up my activity is key as well as weighing myself once a week to catch any creep-up early enough to stop it in its tracks.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!