KETO JOURNEYS

Options
I am 12 lbs down in last two week. Would love to share experiences and recipes i have 40/50 lbs to go. What is happening with you guys?

Replies

• Changin4Me44
    Changin4Me44 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m interested in starting the Keto diet can you give me a run down on some of the things you eat thanks
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    NilsaNYC wrote: »
    I am 12 lbs down in last two week. Would love to share experiences and recipes i have 40/50 lbs to go. What is happening with you guys?

But you're not 12 LBs down because of a Keto diet. You're 12 LBs down because of a calorie deficit. Should be clear about that first.

Presumably, their calorie deficit is because of Keto.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

But you're not 12 LBs down because of a Keto diet. You're 12 LBs down because of a calorie deficit. Should be clear about that first.

It's the other way around, keto does not directly cause you to lose weight, a caloric deficit does. You can gain weight on keto, I've seen people using keto for bulking believe it or not, although it's not common. Calories is king.

I’m aware of the CICO theory. My point was based on the fact that many people following a Ketogenic diet experience a decrease in appetite which can directly create a deficit.

* See also my post in the same thread where I talk about people gaining weight while following a ketogenic diet or not losing weight by eliminating food groups like gluten or dairy.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

It's the other way around, keto does not directly cause you to lose weight, a caloric deficit does. You can gain weight on keto, I've seen people using keto for bulking believe it or not, although it's not common. Calories is king.

I’m aware of the CICO theory. My point was based on the fact that many people following a Ketogenic diet experience a decrease in appetite which can directlyhelp create a deficit.

Much better.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups for more success stories and support. Many members have open diaries and there is usually a recipe thread going. It's where I go to talk keto - I'm mainly on the main forums to steer people to those who know more about the diet. ;)

Congrats on your success so far.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Well yeah. Any diet that eliminates or restricts an entire food group is going to cause a calorie deficit.
    Not sustainable.

There are people here who talk about gaining weight while on Keto as it didn’t fill them up as much as it does others.

When people stop eating carbs, they typically lose a lot of water weight the first couple of weeks. It typically levels out and as long as they remain in a calorie deficit, the weight will continue to come off.

Whatever way of eating that you can maintain for the long haul is the best one for you. Something that makes you feel full and helps you get the needed nutrients.
  • BrandyLeigh2012
    BrandyLeigh2012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Been Keto since May. Down 24lbs!