I need to be sober with food

Options
Hello! I’m new to this community but I’m not new to this app! I’ve downloaded and deleted so many times. I am 22 and sick and tired of being sick and tired. I realized as I was shopping for “healthy” food I went up and down the isles for an hours stressed out. I am addicted to bad food. If i was an alcoholic I would just have to stay away and cut it completely... but I have to eat food which makes it so hard with so many temptations. I am starting over AGAIN but this time I’m not going to stop. I can’t. So looking to make some friends on here because I really need the support ❤️

Replies

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have stopped and came back a few times myself but I haven't completely given up. IMO I don't think there are really "bad" foods and I don't think a person should deprive themselves of it but instead learn to eat them in moderation and logging your food on MFP is a great way to do that.

• Gorgeousaurus
    Gorgeousaurus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I have binge eating disorder. Some people laugh when they encounter the thought of people being addicted to food, but the struggle is a genuine one. I started a keto diet just over a month ago, and seriously it is the first time in my life that I am in control of my ED. But I do know what it feels like to be utterly out of control with food.
  • UsernameJenn
    UsernameJenn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just started yesterday. I'm addicted to sweets, mainly ice cream. I can't have just a little, so I have to stop eating it all together. So my plan is to give up all sweets. Feel free to add me as a friend! 😊
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Something inside me clicked this time around that basically says... "Food is fuel, not a prize, reward or punishment" and it has made things so much easier on me. I eat to survive. I don't necessarily eat to enjoy it. I still sometimes eat delicious things if they fit within my calories, but for the most part I am simply fueling my body. I wish I could sell a book about how to flip this mental switch, but I know it is something that has helped me a lot the past few months.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Something inside me clicked this time around that basically says... "Food is fuel, not a prize, reward or punishment" and it has made things so much easier on me. I eat to survive. I don't necessarily eat to enjoy it. I still sometimes eat delicious things if they fit within my calories, but for the most part I am simply fueling my body. I wish I could sell a book about how to flip this mental switch, but I know it is something that has helped me a lot the past few months.

This attitude seems a little spartan... I don't eat anything I don't enjoy ;)
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

And that is fine! This spartan attitude works for me. I don't ever think "Man, that pizza looks good, I wonder if I can fit that into my calories today" or "Man, we have free cookies today, do I dare have one?" I don't care about food that way anymore. I enjoy what I eat, I just don't eat it to enjoy it... I guess it's tough to explain, but it is about 100 times easier for me to do it the past few months than EVER in my life.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

And that is fine! This spartan attitude works for me. I don't ever think "Man, that pizza looks good, I wonder if I can fit that into my calories today" or "Man, we have free cookies today, do I dare have one?" I don't care about food that way anymore. I enjoy what I eat, I just don't eat it to enjoy it... I guess it's tough to explain, but it is about 100 times easier for me to do it the past few months than EVER in my life.

Everyone has to find their own way, and if thinking like this works for you, more power to you!

• Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to bad food. If i was an alcoholic I would just have to stay away and cut it completely... but I have to eat food which makes it so hard with so many temptations.

Definitely know that feel...

If only I didn’t have to eat at all...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    two things helped me that i've heard here
    1) food is fuel, it is not a hug, or love
    2) if the problem is not hunger, food is not the answer.

i try to replace the urge with something else, like a walk, or flight of stairs, or flavored water
  • sarahwaid
    sarahwaid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have deleted this app also and then downloaded the app and deleted~ like I am going to be serious this time. I have gained 20 pounds since I started using MFP in 2013. In the beginning I did wonderful! Then I went off course. We all need to support each other!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    If you have read these it never hurts to read them again. You can do this. Good luck!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about calories.

Set your goal in MFP eat the calories you are given, this can be made up of whatever food you enjoy. Make small changes that are sustainable. If you look at my diary you will see I eat a lot of crap sometimes and I can't excercise much at the moment but I am still losing weight.

Weight loss should not be a horrible stressful experience. Be patient, measure your food accuratley and log your food consistantly and just stick with it, you will lose weight.
  • pilarslayer
    pilarslayer Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    welcome to the community and feel free to add me. I try to log daily and support people on their journey