Do you workout when you go abroad on a holiday ?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I don't to any workout routines, nor do I log my food. I walk a lot and try to make good food choices. I have lost weight on my last 4 vacations. This most recent one, Fitbit tells me I walked 111 miles.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Are you on The Big Island?
    @L1zardQueen
    Pictures are from the Canary Islands, the coast and volcano ride was the north of the island of Fuerteventura and a huge contrast to my usual rides at home. That's part of a vacation for me - doing something different.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    Does anyone tend to workout while away?

Absolutely!!

Almost 100% of my trips involve cycling and hiking ... and possibly also swimming and kayaking if we have the opportunity. :)

• kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    No. I usually do a lot of walking on vacations.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Nope. I walk everywhere. Still log though.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Just got back from a week at the beach. I did 30 minutes every day of a program that I recently started. I didn't want to lose my momentum. I even used a two litre pepsi bottle and a water bottle for "weights" :-) In past years, I would try to go for daily walks and choose one meal a day to go off the rails. Streaming workouts make it easy to take them anywhere you go. I also took my resistance bands because they just lie flat in the suitcase. Have a nice vacation!!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Always! I only rarely use the hotel gym, but always go for walks or runs. It's a great way to see a new location. I have many memories of noodling around strange cities.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    We're heading on vacation next week. Both my husband and I plan to make time to at least work out every other day -- and we'll probably build our schedule around that time.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Yes, one of my favorite things about traveling is running through new places! I also have more free time, so that means more opportunity to exercise. If the weather isn't suitable for running, I use the hotel gym.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    First thing I did when we booked our
    Summer holiday was to google the local gyms

While the Mrs and kids have their siesta
    I’ll pop off to one of the gyms
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2018
    Most of my vacations involve me renting a house at the beach, so yes, I still do workouts. I either run or I do Fitness Blender videos in the house. Because most of that beach vacation is me sitting on the beach eating and drinking alcohol all day (in other words, not active), working out is important. If I was on vacation somewhere walking around sight-seeing all day, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Plus, it's vacation....it's a time to relax. But being at the beach is kind of like being at home, so I try to maintain.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    h1udd wrote: »
    Running isnt really like working out when you are on holiday, get up early, go for a easy 5-10k along the beach as the sun comes up ... sit for a while and watch the birds ..... get back and chill out side your apartment with a coffee and pastry and watch the world wake up ... its a lovely way to chill the F out

Exactly. I like to just run and wander -get lost and see new places. I’ve got GPS to get home...
  • ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    I always get up way before my wife & kids whilst we’re away and go for a run on the beach,I love it and find it really tranquil,also it’s great to bag those extra few hundred calories that I can later use to good effect at the dessert table :D
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    I like to get day passes at a local gym and workout while the other half sleeps in because I just need less sleep.
    Some views from vacation ellipticals.
    7cqtbt0wzbzv.jpg
    cknbuv0aqvg3.jpg

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Yes....especially on cruise ships!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    My idea of vacation is sitting on the beach and not having the need for shoes for a week. So other than frolicking in the surf and walking on the beach I don’t do anything.

I call it a full rest week and usually come back stronger.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Yes, one of my favorite things about traveling is running through new places! I also have more free time, so that means more opportunity to exercise. If the weather isn't suitable for running, I use the hotel gym.
    Same here! I usually am looking up scenic or interesting trails to take and looking for Strava segments when I'm traveling.

Looking back at my last few vacations, they were actually "runcations" where I was going to run a marathon or ultra and combined it with a vacation trip...
  • bonsmom
    bonsmom Posts: 17 Member
    Nope, no working out like at home. Just got back from Germany, hiked and biked and ate and drank wine every night. The great thing about traveling is there is really not a lot of opportunity for eating between meals. Did not gain any weight!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Rarely do I use gyms on vacation although I have used cruise and hotel gyms a couple of times. I usually do a ton of walking if sightseeing, swimming if somewhere beachy, etc.

I like being outdoors. I just went to Yosemite and did a bunch of hiking, paddle boarding, kayaking, and jetskiing.