Sab's thread

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @SabAteNine you will probably see some results in 3 months (increased strength, a bit leaner, fuller glutes), but to be honest especially if you have the intention to recomp, it can take many more months, even years to see really significant results. Keep running the program with more weight or move on to the advanced after this if you are ready. Good luck!
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Thank you, @sardelsa! Been stalking you for sufficient time to see what I consider the reference for a great result of the Curves programme :smile:

But I know you run bulk and cut cycles and my recomp is going to be way slower. However, I am still hoping for those „beginner gains”.

I plan to stick with the beginner programme (wouldn't do me bad to get down the form best as possible before moving on anyway), but to add weights indeed, starting with next week if this one turns to be a more manageable challenge than I thought.

Thanks again!
  • sardelsa
    Yea I really had no choice to run bulk/cut because I lost way too much and got way too lean and lost all my glutes. It was not a good situation. How do you feel about your bodyfat%? Based on your stats and if you are fairly lean, around 20%ish you could probably run a bulk if you wanted. Recomp typically works best if your bodyfat% is a bit higher. But either way, right now I would hang out at maintenance for a while, get those newb gains, learn the ropes.. you will probably make some pretty good progress.. then maybe in a few months you could think about gaining a bit if that is something you wanted.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I'm with Sardelsa. I know everyone's situation is different but I wish I would've stayed at maintenance when I first started lifting. Instead, I was constantly trying to cut fat despite being at a healthy (albeit doughy) weight, and I don't think I maximized my newb gains as a result.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I'm late to the party on this topic - but I get crazy leg cramps as well so I started using a magnesium lotion in the morning and at night on my calves - much improvement.
  • SabAteNine
    @sardelsa I understand the glute problem, it is familiar :smile: Thank you again. Frankly, I have no idea what my bodyfat percentage is at the moment. I guess it could be under 20%. My stats and daily recordings + bi-weekly averages for cal intake, measurements, output, etc. are available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V5tARs1p1VRl36aaJb4yzQJdqH1XaM7pmwXPBpNPnHY/edit?usp=sharing

I am aware the intake is lower than it should be. I am working on the mentality, it takes some time and it is not easy. Still scared of gaining back fat - and also, preparing to have a baby sometime soon, which in my mind translates somehow to „I will go up anyway so better to go from lower”. Yeah... not smart.

This is how things look like at the moment:
    rb9ti8us52wk.jpg

@AJB1014 I will look into the magnesium lotion, it sounds like it has potential. The best recommendation I have so far is Taurine. Thank you!

• sardelsa
    Wow you look great! I think you can maintain/recomp with a lot of success. You are fairly lean but you are also a beginner so I would stick with it for a while. Then after a few months you can reassess (depending on your goals and where life takes you).

Two years ago I was in a similar situation after having my second baby, I am also 5'7, I was around 127lbs, fairly lean like you but still wanted to lower my bodyfat a bit and also would have loved to grow a bit more. So I recomped for a few months that summer. I was really impatient with the whole thing and bulked that fall. But take it step by step, you look fantastic and you really can't go wrong maintaining. All the best :)
  • SabAteNine
    @sardelsa Thank you so much! It really means a lot.:smiley:

Yeah, I started to lift when I entered maintenance some 3 months ago... not one of the more known programmes, and just using dumbbells at home. There was quite the quick progress after I started eating more balanced and get more carbs in (I was in ketosis before). Wanted to switch it sooner, but gave it another month anyway - so I have patience, or at least I can manage my antsiness and strong impulses to „do this other new thing now” :smiley:

127 was my goal weight and the one I reached maintenance with. I wouldn't mind going up there again (123 now) or even higher, but with better body composition. Step by step it is!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    I'd like to know from anyone who entered maintenance and would be kind enough to share their insights, how long it took their bodies (and minds) to adapt. And whether there was a bump in the numbers on the scale. I'm not even that focused on the scale, I'm just thrown off because of the readings in the above-shared excel. It's never as simple as pure CICO, but I can't shake the feeling that I am making a big mistake somewhere. Or am I being too impatient?

I've been in maintenance for a couple of years now and have to say it's harder than weightloss. The panic when the scale fluctuates (which it does, every month), trying to find the magic calorie number to aim for (mine is so much lower than I expected or want, but that's your 40s for you), and almost everyone I know in maintenance says you'll end up maintaining a couple of pounds higher than your goal weight, so if you want to stay at a particular number, you might have to start maintenance a little under it.

Other than those never-ending dilemmas, it's great. So fab having the body I've worked hard for. However, you can't afford to take it for granted. Loosing the weight is just stage one of a lifetime of eating and exercising healthfully. Congratulations for hitting this particular goal, good luck for the rest!!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    @sardelsa I understand the glute problem, it is familiar :smile: Thank you again. Frankly, I have no idea what my bodyfat percentage is at the moment. I guess it could be under 20%. My stats and daily recordings + bi-weekly averages for cal intake, measurements, output, etc. are available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V5tARs1p1VRl36aaJb4yzQJdqH1XaM7pmwXPBpNPnHY/edit?usp=sharing

I am aware the intake is lower than it should be. I am working on the mentality, it takes some time and it is not easy. Still scared of gaining back fat - and also, preparing to have a baby sometime soon, which in my mind translates somehow to „I will go up anyway so better to go from lower”. Yeah... not smart.

rb9ti8us52wk.jpg

@AJB1014 I will look into the magnesium lotion, it sounds like it has potential. The best recommendation I have so far is Taurine. Thank you!

I have nothing useful to add, but I love the level of detail in your spreadsheet!
  • SabAteNine

rb9ti8us52wk.jpg

I have nothing useful to add, but I love the level of detail in your spreadsheet!

Thank you!
    I'm putting in a few days at a time right now, since I'm lazy. I'll probably give it another couple of months like this and then I'm going to drop some recordings (such as steps and macros) since they're not actually that relevant... and also find an easier way of recording cals out.
  • SabAteNine
    Hi guys, check-up time.
    • I whooshed massively this weekend after going up, still unsure if temporary dehydration after a trip or permanent hitting 121.5 / 55kg (my maintenance is 125.5 / 57 kg). I think this is due, in part, of my panicking and eating less when the scale goes up due to retention. Weight regulation has a lag so I end up oscillating, trend is downwards. Here's the overview: 64z5fw5nwjzt.jpg
    • I am now 22 days late and no, it's not a happy event kinda thing. Cardio not enough to count. Lifting apparently does not have an impact on it as far as I read. I am eating at maintenance, 500 cals over what I ate when I was losing and was regular. Anyone else struggling with this? I'm waiting on the regular yearly bloodwork righ now and will do a hormonal checkup afterwards.
    • Since starting recomp end of April, I've lost 1.5 in / 4 cm at the hips, half a cup size, and 1 in at the thigh.
    • I am now rowing with 27.5 lbs / 12.5 kg dumbbels and that's an improvement.

Not much else to say. It's a slow process due to my personal inconsistency, but at least the beginner programme of Bret Contreras' Curves goes well. I am definitely getting stronger, albeit I'll need YEARS to make the glutes grow in any way, because right now.. they don't.

I appreciate any input on the TOM problem from gals who've been through the same. Thanks a lot! :heart:
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    You need to increase your calories. 121 at 5'7" is light and your body weight is low. You are still losing so your maintenance is higher than you are eating.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Maintenance weight will fluctuate (even among men)! I try to stay within a 5-6 lb range and don't sweat the day to day changes.

ytuw7az4tad9.png
  • SabAteNine
    You need to increase your calories. 121 at 5'7" is light and your body weight is low. You are still losing so your maintenance is higher than you are eating.

Thank you! My BMI is currently 19.3 and in the healthy / normal range so I am not worried about being underweight. However, I will work my intake up to reach 57 kg / 125 lbs again.

I've converted my big sheet, which is now 3 months of daily logging, to the NEAT calculation. That is considering exercise calories about 2/3 of the actual output of trackers or MFP. The big reveal:
    • Total under (cals) 14,697
    • Weight loss (kg) 1.71
    • WL in cals (kg*7.700) 13175.56
    • Difference (cals) 1,522
    • So I was off with 16.54 cals per day

I am blown away by the accuracy over those 3 months. Yeah. I've been undereating and the numbers show that spot-on.

I have upped the intake in the last days to 1900+ and allowed for more carbs. Now I have another problem - everything I eat runs through me like a speed train. Still no TOM, today would be the start of the second one I really, really hope I DON'T miss. We'll see.

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Hi.
    I am similar height and shape (but older) and also spent months on 1200 calories.
    I've been upping my calories to 2000 and I'm still losing on active days. Which is not needed any more!
    Started a weight program combined with cardiovascular exercises.
    Intake will probably go up even more.

Following this thread with interest 👍

• SabAteNine
    Hi Anna, thanks for the insight!
    It's definitely much better to re-adapt to eating more, burning more and to increase your metabolic capacity.

I'll restrict cardio to once a week, running (beside daily walking, I'm fairly active in this respect) and focus on strength training. This week didn't start right yesterday because of toe cramps and stomach problems :neutral:

I've tweaked my sheet, you can find it here: Sab in Maintenance (NEAT, imperial). And I made it to 3 months of maintenance (ehm... loss-ish) and logging :smiley:
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've been in maintenance since Christmas myself. I lost the weight first and only recently started a weight program in a gym. I had no energy and was very unfit hence why I added cardio in the mix too (swimming, walking, cycling). I'm looking for fitness and being a little toned. General strength really.