Sab's thread

Replies

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Just something to think about.

If your food is running through you like a train there is a good chance you are not absorbing the nutrients and fats you need.
    Lack of menstruation may be an indicator of this, and your weight loss.

Even though you are at a reasonable BMI/ weight for your height, it may be too low a weight for your body.

I have no problem with your BMI as mine is similar :).

I would suggest having a visit with your PCP and talking these problems through.

Once the 'train' and menstruation are sorted, you may want to look at reverse dieting- slowly adding calories so you maintain but can eat more.

Cheers, h.

Thank you, H!

The first problem seems to have resolved in the meantime. I'm chalking it up to the increase in carbs. Figure any diet change is bound to prompt some adaptation, sometimes bumpier.

I've just had my bloodwork done and everything seems fine. A little cholesterol problem, but that's nothing new. I actually had my blood taken when I was still recovering from a cold, so I was expecting worse tbh.

Regarding the TOM issue - I'm giving it time, calories, less cardio and more sleep. I increased the daily allowance with 150 cals for now and... We'll see how it goes :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    Yes, so. 3 months visual update. You can't tell any difference.

5oiofe66kdtq.jpg

BUT. THERE IS MINIMAL PROGRESS ALRIGHT.

23 April 2018
    • 57 kg / 125.5 lbs
    • Waist - 66 cm / 26 in
    • Hips - 97 cm / 38 in
    • Thigh - 55 cm / 21.5 in

23 July 2018
    • 55 kg / 121.5 lbs
    • Waist - still the same / too minor of a change
    • Hips - 93 cm / 36.6 in
    • Thigh - 52 cm / 20.5

I can also bent-over row 30 lbs for 3x10. Which is progress. I am still doing things at home with the dumbbells, but I finally managed to get to where the barbell was stashed for renovations. Tomorrow should be interesting.

This marks the turning point from losing to gaining, I think. Dear food... I am ready for more. Hit me up.

There are changes, you lost some body fat by being in a calorie deficit over 2-3 months time), its hard being female and building muscle in a deficit, once we reach our potential for growing 'newb gains' these are going to taper down.

Reversing any deficit of you had/have to maintenance will set the stage for official recomp, its still a very slow process. Your pics and the one you posted on your wall yesterday show you are very lean, you could bulk if you wanted or stay the course with recomp. Recomp takes a long term commitment, be patient it will happen. :smile:
  • SabAteNine
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Yes, so. 3 months visual update. You can't tell any difference.

5oiofe66kdtq.jpg

BUT. THERE IS MINIMAL PROGRESS ALRIGHT.

23 April 2018
    • 57 kg / 125.5 lbs
    • Waist - 66 cm / 26 in
    • Hips - 97 cm / 38 in
    • Thigh - 55 cm / 21.5 in

23 July 2018
    • 55 kg / 121.5 lbs
    • Waist - still the same / too minor of a change
    • Hips - 93 cm / 36.6 in
    • Thigh - 52 cm / 20.5

I can also bent-over row 30 lbs for 3x10. Which is progress. I am still doing things at home with the dumbbells, but I finally managed to get to where the barbell was stashed for renovations. Tomorrow should be interesting.

This marks the turning point from losing to gaining, I think. Dear food... I am ready for more. Hit me up.

There are changes, you lost some body fat by being in a calorie deficit over 2-3 months time), its hard being female and building muscle in a deficit, once we reach our potential for growing 'newb gains' these are going to taper down.

Reversing any deficit of you had/have to maintenance will set the stage for official recomp, its still a very slow process. Your pics and the one you posted on your wall yesterday show you are very lean, you could bulk if you wanted or stay the course with recomp. Recomp takes a long term commitment, be patient it will happen. :smile:

Always great to read your insightful input and have your support, Roxie!

I have a feeling I have maxed out the noob gains. Hence the increase in calories. So far by my calculations I am going on an extra 100-150 cals per day trying to figure out where I maintain, and if that's the spot then I'll go another 150-200 from there. With a slow build-up I have less chance of panicking.

Patience is a virtue which I'm learning to learn. :smile:

Have a great day!!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    OP- middle makes a good point. How is your nutrition? Are you eating a good mix of fruits and veg, lean protein, healthy fats. I personally felt the best I ever have at 121 (also 5-7”) and do not thinks that’s too lean. But if you’re eating a heavily processed diet rather than mostly Whole Foods, your system could easily be out of whack.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Updates.
    • I'm doing good on 2,000 cals. It's my Sedentary setting (1580) + an average of about 300 cals per day I am expending weight training 3 days per week and commute walking 5 days per week + maybe bit of surplus. It should be *more or less* maintenance for the moment but it is hard to tell, because weight started fluctuating so much more with the increase in carbs. At least I'm not losing anymore, haven't gained much either though. Around 1-1.5 lbs.
    • My macros are set for 200 C, 150 P, 67 F. On non-training days, I am happier with carbs under 150g, and happiest with them under 120. I stopped arguing with my body, but the nasties stopped as well. And when they don't, nothing beats probiotics and simeticone.
    • Trouble with bigger cal allotment: I'm reaching for the cookies more and more often. Re-introducing some stuff in the diet re-opened the appetite :<
    • I am still very, very, very beginner-stage on my weights. Disappointingly so. I was checking out weightlifting strength standards for beginners and... damn it. I'm hoping eating more will yield more.
    • Upside: lower body starts to get defined, too. Finally. And my posture has improved. And my balance has, TREMENDOUSLY! Physical one, that is. The other one... egh, it has its issues. :smiley:

Lots of good stuff in there... progress coming in many forms. Nicely done.
  • SabAteNine
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP- middle makes a good point. How is your nutrition? Are you eating a good mix of fruits and veg, lean protein, healthy fats. I personally felt the best I ever have at 121 (also 5-7”) and do not thinks that’s too lean. But if you’re eating a heavily processed diet rather than mostly Whole Foods, your system could easily be out of whack.

Thanks! I don't eat processed mains because I stay away from take out but am too lazy and pressed for time to stitch together anything more elaborate than protein + obscene amounts of raw vegetables or beans / peas sides. I don't like rice and potatoes and am generally unimpressed by fruit, albeit lately I try to fit that in too (blueberries go well with fresh cottage cheese and a bit of granola or muesli).

What I do like and indulge in are varying amounts of chocolate and alcohol, but after I hit my macro and micros. I think I'm fine in this regard. :smile:
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Updates.
    • I'm doing good on 2,000 cals. It's my Sedentary setting (1580) + an average of about 300 cals per day I am expending weight training 3 days per week and commute walking 5 days per week + maybe bit of surplus. It should be *more or less* maintenance for the moment but it is hard to tell, because weight started fluctuating so much more with the increase in carbs. At least I'm not losing anymore, haven't gained much either though. Around 1-1.5 lbs.
    • My macros are set for 200 C, 150 P, 67 F. On non-training days, I am happier with carbs under 150g, and happiest with them under 120. I stopped arguing with my body, but the nasties stopped as well. And when they don't, nothing beats probiotics and simeticone.
    • Trouble with bigger cal allotment: I'm reaching for the cookies more and more often. Re-introducing some stuff in the diet re-opened the appetite :<
    • I am still very, very, very beginner-stage on my weights. Disappointingly so. I was checking out weightlifting strength standards for beginners and... damn it. I'm hoping eating more will yield more.
    • Upside: lower body starts to get defined, too. Finally. And my posture has improved. And my balance has, TREMENDOUSLY! Physical one, that is. The other one... egh, it has its issues. :smiley:

Lots of good stuff in there... progress coming in many forms. Nicely done.

Thanks, J! Yeah, can't complain. Barring the weakling thing with the weights, but I gather that takes time. And time allotted to weight training, which has completely lacked in the last week, and it makes me scale the walls. But today is the day! It has to be.
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    Since I've posted in this thread before - thought I'd update that my formerly bare bones google doc MFP data file now has graphs too - Tracking weight against calories (two y axis no less) among other things. Interesting note is that weight is very stable - I guess because Kcal consumption is within a quite narrow band. I don't do strength training but have upped my running distance to about 10km (once or twice a week) - cause cardio gets me feeling good.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    I just discovered this post. It's nice to go through because I just started the Strong Curves program, well I'm on week 4 so I'm a third of the way through. I really should take measurements.
  • SabAteNine
    rimir74 wrote: »
    Since I've posted in this thread before - thought I'd update that my formerly bare bones google doc MFP data file now has graphs too - Tracking weight against calories (two y axis no less) among other things. Interesting note is that weight is very stable - I guess because Kcal consumption is within a quite narrow band. I don't do strength training but have upped my running distance to about 10km (once or twice a week) - cause cardio gets me feeling good.

Hi, and thanks so much for the updated spread! It's really remarkable how small the variation is over the two years over which you have maintained - it's practically insignificant! Awesome job.

I definitely don't have a long-term spread, but for the short and very short term, I noticed that weight-ins were a lot more stable when I was eating less carbs.

For kittens and giggles, here's my data from the beginning of the year, days and weekly + monthly averages. I lacked consistency in recording the weight, but to be fair, January was the month in which I went 1,200 kcal and saw nothing, day after day. I kept with it, but wasn't motivated to record.

yf5h41zdpymq.png

hesn92 wrote: »
    I just discovered this post. It's nice to go through because I just started the Strong Curves program, well I'm on week 4 so I'm a third of the way through. I really should take measurements.

Yup, it would be a good idea to do so! How do you like it so far?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018

Well I did take measurements after the first four weeks, and I went back and found measurements that I had taken back in May, which I figure are probably pretty darn close to what I was when I started the program because my weight is about the same. my measurements did change a little bit. Waist and Thigh down a quarter inch and my hips up a quarter inch (woo woo) but I compared my pictures and I look exactly the same LOL. It's been 4 weeks so I wasn't expecting any change though. I like the program overall, although I find it to be a bit long. It takes me about an hour to get through. I also don't like all the hip reps. 20 rep squats? It's even worse when it's a single leg exercise like step up, or single leg RDL. It takes forever. I will say I'm cheating and I'm adding weight to the glute bridge and now hip thrust when I'm supposed to be doing bodyweight!
  • SabAteNine

Well I did take measurements after the first four weeks, and I went back and found measurements that I had taken back in May, which I figure are probably pretty darn close to what I was when I started the program because my weight is about the same. my measurements did change a little bit. Waist and Thigh down a quarter inch and my hips up a quarter inch (woo woo) but I compared my pictures and I look exactly the same LOL. It's been 4 weeks so I wasn't expecting any change though. I like the program overall, although I find it to be a bit long. It takes me about an hour to get through. I also don't like all the hip reps. 20 rep squats? It's even worse when it's a single leg exercise like step up, or single leg RDL. It takes forever. I will say I'm cheating and I'm adding weight to the glute bridge and now hip thrust when I'm supposed to be doing bodyweight!

Congrats on the progress! It's not nothing, you know. But it takes time... a whole lotta time.

I totally understand the frustration with the high reps AND the bodyweight issue.

I did the very same thing with adding weight after figuring the glute bridge and hip thrust were too easy. Single-leg things are WAY too boring and long, fully agree! Also for squats... I started with the normal and box squat as foreseen, but went on to goblet squat pretty fast (which my arms hated because the programme supersets with upper body exercises)... and then barbell. Working out from home and in lieu of machines, I had to adapt or replace quite a lot of exercises, so it doesn't much look like Curves now.

Particularly for squats though, I don't have an issue so far with the high reps because I do not have a squat rack. So basically I can't squat more than I can overhead press... and that is, to date, 20 kg / 44 lbs. I do that for 3 sets of 20 squats while working towards being able to lift more overhead while still tired from supersetting with military / incline / bench press.

I have a completionist mindset so if I see 15-20 reps in the programme I will want to hit 20, and a 2-minute plank will have to be a 2 minute plank - that's not always the perfect way to go.

Personally, I don't mind the total duration. If it's only 3 times per week, I want to make sure I get the proper full body that leaves me in a pool of sweat. And I add a tiny bit of extra because I don't feel the programme tackles some of the parts that I would like to focus on sufficiently (such as the triceps).
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Hi everyone, and happy Monday!

I’m entering maintenance now and would really use a few workout and dietary suggestions from you more experienced and knowledgeable people around here. I’ve been reading around, but nothing compares to contextualized advice :smiley:

Basic stats:
    • 29 and female
    • 169 cm / 5’6-5’7-ish
    • 57 kg / 125.5 lbs (GW)

Measurements:
    • Waist: 66 cm / 26 in (went down from 31.5)
    • Hips: 97 cm / 38 in (went down from 42.5)
    • Bust: like a 12-year-old with extra padding, please don’t ask for specifics
    • Thigh: 55 cm / 21.5 in, which is pretty thick but then again my legs seem like my only powerful bodyparts.

Here's how that looks:
    vtwbmdo1jqcc.jpg

Started off way back from 155 lbs and only recently kept track again. Since beginning of January (oh, new years’ resolutions!) I have lost 11 lbs. What worked:
    • 1450 cal intake for feb-apr (my BMR’s about 1350 cals and I am routinely walking about 12-15k steps per day plus quite a bit of stairs). Wanted to go slow and steady.
    • Staying at 20g carbs per day (C/P/F - 5/30/65) because I am turning into a monster if I get a taste of bread.

Online calcs out there put me at about 1850-ish calories per day for maintenance, but the actual loss of the last three months indicates more like 1750 (400 cals over BMR).

So the plan would be to increase intake to 1750, and increase weight training (every other day). It shouldn’t be too hard to get a positive outcome of the latter, seeing as how I’m basically at near-zero now and can’t overhead dumbbell press more than 5 kg, 2x10, for the life of me. Also, I'm right-handed and my left calls quits WAY before.

I have a set of dumbbells going up to 25 lbs at home and a barbell up to 50. I would like to continue to use these for the moment.

Question nr. 1: Does the 1750 cals sound like a good starting point to you guys? Should it be more right from the start if I weight train?

Question nr. 2: Could you recommend a weight training plan for beginners which uses bodyweight, dumbbels and barbell? I do not have a bench unfortunately but plan on getting one asap.

Question nr. 3: Should I increase carbohydrate intake in maintenance if I’m looking to recomp? I am asking because it feels much better staying at the lower end of the carb scale, but as far as I got to read, it’s a trade-off between efficiency / effectiveness of recomp (better with carbs) and my own personal preference (better without carbs). Ultimately I can change my preference if the advantages are worth it.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Sabina

Frk your body looks great! Fantastic job! Do you have before and afters anywhere?
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    I have no advice to give, as I'm not where you're at yet, but just to offer congratulations. You've done an amazing job.

Love that look of self-satisfaction in the 2018 pic.