I'm thinking of not weighing...

When I'm trying to lose weight I step on the scale daily. I know weight fluctuates and I don't have a problem with that. I'm just thinking that since my scale died I won't replace it for a few months.

Has anyone tried this?

My thought is that I'll just focus on my calories and not even think about weight loss.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    If I went without scales I'd at least use some forms of measurement to ensure weight was not creeping back on. A tape measure would be used much more because must going by how clothes fit wouldn't be enough for me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I found weight loss to be helpful in maintaining motivation. YMMV
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    If it works then great. Not weighing yourself isn't a problem if your weighing food and logging accurately then trust the process.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    If it’s more comfortable for you then by all means! I went the opposite way-when I started out with 40+ to lose I only weighed myself a couple times a month, I guess I was still used to not weighing myself at all. As I progressed and was (finally) losing steadily I began to weigh in daily and now it’s a habit.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    I weigh myself every 2 weeks and I honestly think if I weighed more often it would mess with my mood and progress. The scale isn't rigid. One bad day and it might go up but you must understand it's not weight gain. As long as there is a downward trend you are doing well so rather weigh in every now and then and let the downward trend convert to weight loss
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    When I'm trying to lose weight I step on the scale daily. I know weight fluctuates and I don't have a problem with that. I'm just thinking that since my scale died I won't replace it for a few months.

Has anyone tried this?

My thought is that I'll just focus on my calories and not even think about weight loss.
    The one problem I have with that for me personally is I wouldn't know if I am losing weight too quickly or at the right rate. Why it's important for me? Simply because I am a lifter and I definitely notice a loss of strength when I lose weight over 1 lb per week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I went for long periods without weighing myself and weighed the same when I weighed again. I wasn't tracking calories so it was just luck. Eventually I gained weight though but a couple of months would probably have been okay. I plan to weigh once a week for the rest of my life probably.

If you are watching your calorie intake fairly accurately then you should be fine for a few months off the scale.
    However, keep in mind a new scale will give you a diffrrent weight than your old scale so when you do replace your scale don't compare to the old readings and think you gained or lost. Start from that point.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I accidentally poured water on my body weight scale when I still had 40-50 pounds to lose.

I lost weight just fine without it, but it isn't ideal when you get close to goal. I bought another scale for that last 20 pounds and weighed myself daily.

Have you tried replacing the battery?

(I didn't read any of the replies, so I'm sure someone already suggested that.)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    I weigh far less often now than I used to. The biggest reason is that I normally eat the same foods and when I'm actively trying to reduce weight, I know the process works. Because it has worked. As long as I log and measure accurately, the scale can only introduce doubt if I do it all the time. I may go 4-5 weeks between weigh-ins or more.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I say good for you if you can do it! I, however, need the accountability of weighing in daily/almost daily. It's way to easy for me to fall off the rails when I'm not keeping track of my weight. Plus, I like seeing the number every day, even if it goes up, because it's always telling me a story, whether I want to hear it or not.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I gave up the scale five years ago. I lost a lot of weight here in 2013 and I weighed daily (though only recorded weekly). I ended that run of weight loss eating less than 900 calories a day, weighing myself seven or eight times a day, with my hair falling out and gums bleeding -- even though I was still overweight. That relationship with the body scale was wildly unhelpful to me.

I haven't returned to weight loss mode since then, but I am putting in some hard work to heal my disordered relationship to food and weight. One of my goals is to just maintain a stable weight for a long period of time. My whole life I have been either gaining or losing, but never just stable. Without a home scale I've been able to maintain my weight (+/- five pounds) for almost a year now. The only time I check my weight is at the doctor's office. It's working fine so far, and I suspect I could lose weight without a home scale as well. It just takes careful monitoring of your intake and paying attention to clues such as how your clothes fit, how your joints feel, etc.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I have a Wednesday AM date with my scale every week. I do tend to get either frustrated or elated by fluctuations so clearly I am too emotional about the read out, and just doing it once a week keeps me accountable. Even if I do see a higher than expected number, I do keep in mind that my weight will fluctuate but just doing it once a week means less of my mental space is devoted to the the weight and more of it can focus on healthy habits.

The only time I didn't weigh in at all, I gained 15 lbs in one year. I need some kind of regular weigh in to remain accountable to myself.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If your goal is weight loss, then the number on the scale is what will tell you whether or not you’re moving toward that goal.

If you’re using some other measurement, like waist size, then you are collecting data on a different goal (in this case, having a smaller waist). It is fine if this is your actual goal, but “waist size” and “weight in pounds” are related but different things.

Figure out what your actual goal(s) are and collect the data you need to know whether or not you are progressing toward those goals.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    As with all aspects of losing and maintaining weight loss, whatever works best, and is sustainable for each of us.

For me, daily weighing (at the same time every day), keeps me motivated.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    If your goal is weight loss, then the number on the scale is what will tell you whether or not you’re moving toward that goal.

If you’re using some other measurement, like waist size, then you are collecting data on a different goal (in this case, having a smaller waist). It is fine if this is your actual goal, but “waist size” and “weight in pounds” are related but different things.

Figure out what your actual goal(s) are and collect the data you need to know whether or not you are progressing toward those goals.

That is very confusing. Weight loss is weight loss regardless of how it is measured. The only requirement for success is eating less than you burn. Everything else is based on personal needs, wants, or opinions.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    apullum wrote: »

I think this is mostly true, however as we've discussed so often on these forums, the scale fools you in the short term - sometimes over a month or two. I don't disagree at all with the data collection concept or tracing measurements over time.

But, when it comes to trusting scales....... I trust the food scale. If I'm accurate there, I don't need the body scale to introduce doubt in the short to medium term, because there are actually periods where it does not tell you whether or not you are moving toward that goal. But again, that applies to me as I know what eating level causes what deficit (proven over the long term). I prefer not to rely on the body scale, nor do I even need to check it that often if I am weighing and measuring accurately.