Advice on feeding a family and still trying to loose weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    mojo6812 wrote: »
    Why isn’t the mother cooking? Get her on here I’ll tell the lazy cow off for you 😉

They’re adults let them fend for themselves and you eat whatever you want (( hugs))

You mean the woman who's letting her adult daughter, daughter's boyfriend, and daughter's boyfriend's brother (for real??) live in her home? I suppose she should do their laundry and wipe their backsides too?

How do you know if it's the mother's house or not? Kind of jumping to a conclusion there.

She said living in a house with her mother, vs her mother living with her, which led me to believe it was her mother's house. But the statement is unclear. Either way, mixed adult households are tricky.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My house has two adults and two kids. Tonight I'm grilling a pork tenderloin and zucchini from the garden. I'll also make a salad and probably some rice. I'll eat an appropriate portion for me and the give the kids appropriate servings for them. My husband will eat what he wants.
    Why is everyone giving you an issue @OP? Are you totally changing the type of food you normally cooked? It's not easy to make everyone happy all the time. If your role is cook of the house, try and make smaller changes that will help you stay in your calorie goal but still give the rest of the house what they want (within reason)
    For example - when I grill burgers, I'll do beef burgers for the family and a turkey burger for myself because they're less calories and I prefer them. I wouldn't start making veggie burgers for everyone or stop buying buns if I didn't want to eat them if that was going to cause total turmoil in the house.
  • FrumMama
    FrumMama Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm feeding a family of six. Me, my husband who has certain food sensitivities, and my kids (who aren't overly picky, but are, well, kids), ages 10, 8, 5.5, and 2.5. I make sure that each person at the table has at least one food that they enjoy. Can't do more than that. I make a big veggie side that I eat a lot of -- something like sauteed zucchini, baked butternut squash, broccoli, or a big salad. Then a protein that at least some of them like, and a starch that at least some of them like.

Other days, I make myself a variation on their meals. They all like black bean quesadillas. I make my husband's without cheese (but with enough mashed black beans to stick it all together). I make mine with less cheese and a Flat Out wrap. We all enjoy the same meal, just different.

When I make pasta for my kids, it's a huge pan of whole grain noodles, eggs, spinach, cheese, milk, spices, baked at 350 for a while. My husband gets a smaller pan without cheese. I bake a spaghetti squash for myself and add tomato sauce and cheese. My kids eat my squash now as a side dish -- win all around! Took about a year for them to show any interest in it, with no prodding from me.

Taco bar. Lots of veggies, I have mine without the taco (or with just one) like a taco salad. My husband has his without cheese and some of the other fixing he's sensitive to. My kids pick what they like. I make sure to include their favorites -- one loves sauteed onions, for example.

It can take some creativity, but there are ways to figure out a few meals that will work for everyone, if they're flexible. Can you sit down with them all, with a list of ideas you have, and ask them for their input? I feel like that's how you'll have the best chance of making this work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When hubby and I were negotiating household chores, I ended up with the cooking. (He got laundry, garbage, and floors).

I like variety and creativity. He likes a few solid favourites. I manage by making notes of recipes that work. Those are on repeat. We have different caloric needs so he takes seconds.

It was a close call with the Tofu. I had two fails before I found a proven recipe.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why can’t you afford to eat different meals? Buy less of what they eat since you won’t be eating any and use the $ to buy more of what you eat.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    1) Eat the same food: just smaller portions
    2) The Mama's rules menu: eat what I make or starve.
    3) They whine/cry: either they cook or too bad.

No need to overcomplicate things.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    just eat less .... it really can be that simple

my wife and child are smaller than me ... they weigh less than me .... they eat less than me .... we all eat the same meal though,

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When hubby and I were negotiating household chores, I ended up with the cooking. (He got laundry, garbage, and floors).

I like variety and creativity. He likes a few solid favourites. I manage by making notes of recipes that work. Those are on repeat. We have different caloric needs so he takes seconds.

It was a close call with the Tofu. I had two fails before I found a proven recipe.

That sounds like my house. I've yet to be able to sneak in the tofu, though. Still working on it!

I think you can prepare food that everyone likes, just eat the amount that fits your calories according to MFP. It's too bad your mom is misinformed about how weight loss works, but don't let that stop you from using your food scale and making it work. Time will show everyone (including yourself) the power of tracking your calories to lose weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Seems like OP has left the buiilding.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think replacing some of the carbs with alternatives can help to reduce the calorie content of the meal (I eat courgetti pasta while the family has pasta with their meal). I also will prepare meals like lasagne and remove some of the meat bolonaise for myself to have with veg pasta before making it into a lasagne for the family. I’ll do baked chicken breasts and serve with salad for myself and add in pasta or wedges or something like that for the family.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You are being too much of a people-pleaser.

Just eat less. Make the same food you've always made, and control your portions. Then change things if you really want to. You don't have to try new pintrest recipes. Just eat smaller portions than you used to.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It’s hard for me to say since I think I eat pretty healthfully but I don’t swap out things with “healthier versions” like using whole grain pasta or brown rice... my husband has never complained. He would complain if I started making meals with no meat though. If I didn’t want to eat meat I would just make it and then not eat it, or tell my husband if you want meat with this, make it yourself. But I am a meat-eater so that isn’t an issue for us.

I make the same meals I always have but my husband eats a lot more of it. Or if it’s a meal that’s like, a meat, a vegetable, a potato or potato dish, and a roll (for example) then I might just eat smaller portions of everything and skip the roll. There’s vegetables included with all my meals. I have in the past just cooked up a second vegetable for just myself so I can bulk up my meal with that.