Counting calories in a green salad

Options
Several times a week I am making a large green salad of Romain lettuce, red cabbage, snap peas, cucumber, broccoli, red pepper. Do I need to count all those individual items in a salad? And, if so, how do I do that?

Replies

• strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log them all, or make a recipe with them all if you make it the same ingredients every time. You can edit the amounts in the recipe if need be.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Add the individual items to your diary once and choose the option to 'Save Meal.' Then the next time you have the salad, all you have to do is add that saved meal. You can tweak the amounts once you've added the saved meal to your diary if you want. (They'll show up as separate items just like you entered them the first time)
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log them all, or make a recipe with them all if you make it the same ingredients every time. You can edit the amounts in the recipe if need be.

This is what I do, because I make salad often in summer! Makes the logging process much easier.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Build you salad on your scale, tare out scale between each addition, measure in grams, use entries that use grams.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This salad you describe sounds like it has about 50 to 75 calories in it. No seeds, no nuts, no cheese, no dried fruit, no oil, no dressing? The snap peas, brocoli and pepper are your biggest calorie hits. What are you putting on this salad? Because your dressing, your oil, your croutons, your toppings, etc are going to be way more substantial the vegetables listed.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a recipe I created for my most common salad which is mixed greens, cucumber, and cherry tomato. I log dressing separate and any add ons like avocado, nuts, cranberries, etc.

I also have a recipe for my cucumber salad since i make that often too. That recipe includes the olive oil and lemon dressing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You can log it once and then save the meal. When you make the salad again you can just select the whole meal and adjust quantities. I do that with sandwiches too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yeah, save it as a MEAL not a RECIPE. With a saved meal you can edit each ingredient in the FOOD diary. With a recipe, it just posts the name of the recipe to the FOOD diary.

MEAL is the way to go. I have a "Small green salad" meal I use frequently.