sticking with allotted protein

Options
so, I'm on day 2, I've been slightly under on my calorie/carb intake - but I'm having trouble with going a tab bit over on protein. How much will this affect my weight loss? I don't want to sabotage myself. Yesterday I was over a few grams...and tonight, for dinner, I only have 17 grams of protein left. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it; without leaving myself hungry. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated! thank you!

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    It's fine to go over any macros as long as your in your calories you will lose weight
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what does MFP have your protein set to? what is your overall calorie goal?

i would treat protein as a minimum goal, and its ok to go over....but consider your overall goal - is increasing itleaving you enough room for fats and carbs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    so, I'm on day 2, I've been slightly under on my calorie/carb intake - but I'm having trouble with going a tab bit over on protein. How much will this affect my weight loss? I don't want to sabotage myself. Yesterday I was over a few grams...and tonight, for dinner, I only have 17 grams of protein left. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it; without leaving myself hungry. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated! thank you!

Your macros don't affect weight loss...calories do. There's nothing particularly magical about MFP's default macro settings and IMO, the protein target is low when you consider that you'd want to eat a bit more while dieting to help preserve muscle mass.
  • reereerocks111513
    reereerocks111513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! My calorie goal is 1200. I customized my protein up 5% from what they assigned & lowered my fat by 5%. 75g for protein & 33g fat. I always have excess carbs; they assigned me 150g carbs - I still have 107 left for dinner. Maybe I should eat more carbs?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! My calorie goal is 1200. I customized my protein up 5% from what they assigned & lowered my fat by 5%. 75g for protein & 33g fat. I always have excess carbs; they assigned me 150g carbs - I still have 107 left for dinner. Maybe I should eat more carbs?

Sounds like you're getting hung up on those numbers rather than the overall calories. As mentioned above, it's the calories that matter for weight loss, not the macros.

Eat whatever keeps you feeling full and happy within your overall calorie goal, and you'll lose weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

The macro split MFP suggests is a nice starting point for most, but it's not a hard and fast rule. You can adjust them to suit your own preferences. Don't get hung up on the stupid red and green numbers there. Just make sure you aren't too low in fat and protein and let the rest fall where they may.
  • forestdweller46
    forestdweller46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Been on the MFP for about 2 weeks and am not finding it hard to stay full, probably all that water I'm not used to drinking! Traded out the fat and sodium trackers for calcium and vitamin C on my goals since I eat hardly any packaged foods. My protein usually varies between 75 to 80 grams per day, so I sometimes am not hungry for the next meal. Carbs don't seem to be as satisfying as protein, so 150g doesn't always get met. Keeping under my 1200 calorie limit and have lost about 10 pounds so far without increasing exercise. I'm 71 and have COPD.
    YMMV
  • reereerocks111513
    reereerocks111513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! If its just the calories I need to watch, that makes me happy! I'm doing real well on that. Forestdweller - wow 10 lbs in 2 weeks! That really gives me hope! Thank you!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! If its just the calories I need to watch, that makes me happy! I'm doing real well on that. Forestdweller - wow 10 lbs in 2 weeks! That really gives me hope! Thank you!
    You give me hope too! Most newcomers get angry when we tell them that weightloss isn't as difficult as they think!
    :D
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I don't even look at my macros. You (almost) can't go wrong with added protien.

Healthy meals look like: 1/2 plants, 1/4 protien, 1/4 carbs (more or less.) Highly structured diets aren't necessary if you're watching portions and eating plenty of vegetables and fruits. Repeat 3x with moderate exercise and you'll drop weight in due time.

Good luck!