Hot liquids to curb satiety?

Options
I’ll try to make this brief, I understand CICO, I understand the basics of weight loss, but my primary doctor was just telling me about a study overseas (I believe he said Spain but I may be wrong) that was explaining the affect hot/warm liquids has on satiety, and how it can make your body feel more full for a longer period of time. Anyone have anything to back this up? I have lost 90 pounds without this method so I understand it is not necessary, but just wondering if it could actual be a physical stomach reaction or just something that is in your head.

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,850 Member
    Options
    All I know is hot coffee does not do this for me. :/
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hot coffee keeps me until noon, sometimes even longer. It depends on my workout though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've used it from time to time to curb cravings.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Perhaps that is true, but since my favorite hot drink is hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream, it's not something I would try to fit into my miserable 1200 calorie allowance very often.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know one thing the doc mentioned was when it comes to things like coffee the whole point is to drink it quickly to warm your stomach, even if the beverage is hot sipping on it will not have as large of an effect as downing it. I’m playing around with it a little bit and it seems to work so far, satiety has always been by far the hardest part of weight loss for me
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I use a hot cup of tea often when I want “something” and it is satisfying. I do add half and half though...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I find it does help me, especially if it's something savory as well, like broth. It's even better when I have tea or something right before or right after a meal - no objective evidence, just what I experience. For between meals, a diet soda works better. The only way a hot drink works between meals is if I add milk to it (like chai tea with milk and a sweetener)
  • dicksonoconnor3544
    dicksonoconnor3544 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i'm new here and need supportive friends
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Hot tea does seem to help me. It gives me the feeling of having something while not actually using up any (or many) calories). Keeps me from thinking about what food to eat next!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Another vote for hot broth like a chicken bouillon cube dissolved in hot water.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I did watch an experiment on BBC tv once which demonstrated that drinking water with a meal passed through the stomach quicker than turning that meal and water into a soup. Not the same thing I know but apparently a good way to feel full longer - if you like thick soups! 🤣
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works for everyone, but it certainly does for me. The first time I completed an Extended Day Fast, I used bone broth as a crutch and it definitely helped curb my appetite. I also drink coffee every morning and typically don't eat until lunch time because I'm just not hungry; I'm up at 5:30am and don't eat until 12:30-1, so a good 7 hours from when I wake to when I eat. Who knows, maybe it's a placebo, but I don't drink coffee to curb my appetite, I drink it to wake up and because I like it.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    All I can do is speak from experience, but I know a mid-afternoon cup of hot tea does a good job of making me feel less hungry in the long stretch between lunch and dinner.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, I do believe hot liquids (soup, tea, coffee) help me feel full longer. Just be careful of sugar and such if you make hot drinks because it does add up quickly.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I drink boiled water while its still hot with a slice of lemon, I prefer a hot drink to a cold one, but as I don't like tea, I found the black coffee I was drinking all the time was starting to stain my teeth so I started on the hot water. I do find it helps to keep me feeling fuller for longer.
  • GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, I am going to have to try it out. between lunch/dinner I always want something, so I have been doing coffee at work and its helping a lot.