July 2018 Biking Cycling Bicycling Bike/ Bicycle/Unicycle/Tricycle Challenge!

Options

Replies

• jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jlklem wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the polarized training concept?

Heard of it. Don't know much about it. Why do you ask?

Basically it’s a way of training where you polarize your training intensities. You are suppposed to ride very easy on your easy days and really really hard on you hard days. Hard is like 90% of max HR minimum for 40 total minutes a week (spread out between 2/3 workouts). Obviously you warm up and cool down on hard days.

Looking for a 80 easy/20 hard work out split.

When stated that you were sore from riding harder it reminded me of that idea. If you do polarized training correctly you have to go easy on the easy as you are sore and tired after the hard.

Lots of research to back this up....especially in cycling.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,841 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the polarized training concept?

Heard of it. Don't know much about it. Why do you ask?

Basically it’s a way of training where you polarize your training intensities. You are suppposed to ride very easy on your easy days and really really hard on you hard days. Hard is like 90% of max HR minimum for 40 total minutes a week (spread out between 2/3 workouts). Obviously you warm up and cool down on hard days.

Looking for a 80 easy/20 hard work out split.

When stated that you were sore from riding harder it reminded me of that idea. If you do polarized training correctly you have to go easy on the easy as you are sore and tired after the hard.

Lots of research to back this up....especially in cycling.

I don't do any sort of "training".

Right now, my riding is mainly stress relief, and because I don't normally do anything remotely like sprints, and haven't done since my racing days nearly 20 years ago, I think part of what I'm experiencing is simply DOMS. I've just recently started using Zwift and just ignored the sprints at first, but then my competitive spirit kicked in!! :grin:

The other factor is fatigue in general because of the situation with my husband, and the amount of walking I do every day carrying a heavy backpack. I think it all kind of caught up with me.

• notarunnermfp
    notarunnermfp Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    July 1 - 13 miles, plus about 5 miles around town
    July 3 - 9 miles
    July 4 - 15 miles, slow
    July 6 - 10 miles
    July 7 - 6.5 miles
    July 9 - 15 miles
    July 10- 4 miles

July 11- 12 miles
    July 13- 20 miles
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,841 Member
    Options
    80-37020684_1050851855065246_6664460457820028928_n_0b7f2a9c05b86f827566b82e3e0211046b499981.jpg

In my case, that's 27 km/h I'm all excited about.
  • huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    July has been totally shot for me. Not riding near as much as I wanted. Haven’t tracked my diet in a couple weeks. Time to get back on track!

9.2 mile road ride today. Mix of gravel and paved.

July 3: 10 miles trail
    July 7: 10 miles trail
    July 15: 9.2 miles road
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This week I've felt like Monty Python's Bicycle Repair Man...
    Started the week with one road bike running OK but in need of a service after 4,500 miles.
    Other road bike had a broken gear change cable.
    One hybrid was usable but wouldn't change down to the granny ring.
    Other hybrid was off the road as some scum bag stole the front wheel and stalking eBay for a replacement has proved fruitless.

And then an idiotic moment driving my car under a height restriction barrier when I had my two road bikes on the roof sent them crashing along the road.....
    Aaaaarrrrrrggggh!! The irony was that this was the first and only time I had ever loaded my two best bikes on the roof together.

Luckily no major damage but spent the week fixing all four bikes up.
    Test rides, training rides and shopping for bike bits rides gave me 139 miles for the week.

Mostly wearing my Castelli "string vest" as the heatwave continues in southern England.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    54qdd0o3ja46.jpg

First century after shoulder surgery 20 mos ago and one checked off the bucket list. Not the best showing but got it done. Back to dieting to drop the 10+# gain after shoulder surgery.
    fu5sgdasx27y.jpg
    v6dai5ut1o58.jpg
  • huskydoo
    Options
    Got some more miles in last night with the weekly MTB group ride. 10.5 miles of smiles. It was extremely humid though and a was covered in mud and dirt afterwards. Still a great night to be on my bike in the woods!!

July 16: 10.5 miles trail
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    4k3rut8j0b3j.png

To lazy to type it all. Lots of miles so far....101 yesterday.

Averaging 17 hours a week.

John
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    July 2- 6.0 road miles
    July 3 - 5.0 really hard trail miles
    July 4 - 12.5 road miles
    July 7 - 18.8 road miles
    July 10 - 6 trail miles

I haven't ridden since the 10th but forgot to record it last week. Spent the last week back in Michigan visiting my parents and going to my high school reunion. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow then this weekend my son and I are competing in the Big Sky State Games. I'm doing both the Cross Country Mountain bike race and the Enduro. My son is doing the Enduro.
  • wynnetf
    wynnetf Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! I’m a bike junky addict! I try to get out on the mt bike at least 3 times a week, and I try to bike commute most days. Now if I could just stop breaking bones! I’m really too old for the type of mountain biking I do, but I’m afraid if I slow down I’ll just feel older☺️9oebbpkkkoaw.jpeg
    b8s16zymd0na.jpeg
    fq9onpqpr9uw.jpeg
    These are pics from my morning ride today🤙🏽
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hiya guys !

I'm back ! Had a pure month of absolute laziness there but getting back to it now.

I don't have any particular goals for July, more a get up and go attitude I need to get back.

JULY
    18 : 19km - 36min - Road

Today was my first time using my recently build TT bike. Learning curve ! 🌊
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just switching over to more biking/less gym. Just more enjoyable. I like the breeze, change of scenery, and the idea of going somewhere. But I hate that MFP says a 10mph ride is "leisurely." Sure feels like more effort than that!

July 6: 11.26 miles 10.62mph avg
    July 14: 17.68 miles 10.40mph avg
    July 16: 11.89 miles 10.61mph avg

I was sure some of these rides were longer than they actually turned out to be!😂 I have a few 18+ mile rides planned out, and one 40 miler.

I'm planning to try to squeeze in a ride tonight.
  • huskydoo
    Options
    wynnetf wrote: »
    Hey folks! I’m a bike junky addict! I try to get out on the mt bike at least 3 times a week, and I try to bike commute most days. Now if I could just stop breaking bones! I’m really too old for the type of mountain biking I do, but I’m afraid if I slow down I’ll just feel older☺️9oebbpkkkoaw.jpeg
    b8s16zymd0na.jpeg
    fq9onpqpr9uw.jpeg
    These are pics from my morning ride today🤙🏽

Love seeing more mountain bikers join this thread!

• Rosefern1
    Options

July 18: 18.02 miles 10.38mph avg
    kmsg4ehneggf.png

• AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    July 2- 6.0 road miles
    July 3 - 5.0 really hard trail miles
    July 4 - 12.5 road miles
    July 7 - 18.8 road miles
    July 10 - 6 trail miles
    July 18 - 10 road miles

OMG I am having mountain bike withdrawals...lol! Hopefully tonight I can get out on the trails!!!

Here is my gratuitous post ride bike shot from last week's ride.

qlr0p7x1ux05.jpg
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I rode 6.something miles yesterday. First time I had been on two wheels in far too long.

I used to ride 20-30 miles several times a week. I would love to get back to that point.
  • huskydoo
    Options
    After work mountain bike ride yesterday. Got to meet the Trail Coordinator for our local trail system. Great guy and fellow Salsa rider!🌶

July 16: 10.5 miles trail
    July 19: 7.75 miles trail

xtvy8cyqfqba.jpeg
  • Rosefern1
    Options