Quick fix (just for one weekend)

Options
Hi guys,
I have a question. Next Sunday I have a photoshoot which I just heard I have been chosen for. I'm really excited but also anxious because if I knew this earlier, I would have tried to get in my best shape. I have been ill for 2 weeks and haven't been able to fully workout in that period. I did some running and walking and just a little bit of strength, but not much. I was wondering whether you have any tips for losing water weight fast. I have a good bmi and I'm not looking to loose weight. I weigh about 57/58 kg and am 1.70m tall. But to feel confident I'd like to not be bloated and all during the photoshoot. I will try and reduce my salt intake on Saturday to a minimum (but not too little as it's very warm and sunny in my country right now), drinks loads of water and maybe do a workout with an extra layer of cloathing to sweat more?
Would love to hear from you!

Kind regards

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Go very low carb for a few days. This should help shed some water and reduce the appearance of bloat. If you decide to do this, don't reduce your salt as well or you may end up sick with no energy on your photoshoot day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, low carb for the week before. don't worry about the salt or sweating more though.
  • laura9503
    laura9503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I started my day today with a large bowl of oatmeal and then crackers for a snack so my lowcarb will start as of now ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Good call, and it's safer than risking a heat stroke.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Good pointers, especial food consistency and not exercising heavily, but I'm not sure about the laxative. That would be a very awkward photo shoot. If it's for typical modeling purposes, completely drying out is not necessary and looking fresh and energetic is preferable.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Good pointers, especial food consistency and not exercising heavily, but I'm not sure about the laxative. That would be a very awkward photo shoot. If it's for typical modeling purposes, completely drying out is not necessary and looking fresh and energetic is preferable.

I suppose it depends on your pooping schedule, it's definitely only intended as a last resort. I take your point that it might not be a good idea though. OP: if you're not sure on how laxatives affect you, this might not be the moment to find out.

This is an adjusted from my old pre-contest "OMG I'm not going to make my weight category" method I used to do when I was competing regularly. The extreme levels depended on when in the day I was competing because being dehydrated an hour before a fight does not mean you're at your best in the fight, but if the afternoon, I could re-hydrate and be pretty good by the afternoon.

Edited my post to reflect laxative comments
  • laura9503
    Options
    Hi guys, it's next Sunday as in the 22nd. So I have 3 full days. Thanks for all the tips! Yes, I will use a laxative. I have IBD which means that sometimes I can't go for a few days... Indeed, this is really intended for just a quick fix for a morning photoshoot. I would never use this for a longer period as this is unhealthy and not sustainable.
  • Deviette
    Options
    laura9503 wrote: »
    Hi guys, it's next Sunday as in the 22nd. So I have 3 full days. Thanks for all the tips! Yes, I will use a laxative. I have IBD which means that sometimes I can't go for a few days... Indeed, this is really intended for just a quick fix for a morning photoshoot. I would never use this for a longer period as this is unhealthy and not sustainable.

That note was more for all those readers who lurk on the forums and might misunderstand my advice for your very specific situation, as general weight loss advice (noooooo, not in the slightest). I'd hate to think that I might contribute to a really really unhealthy way of eating for somebody. Hence, the warning.

Good luck with the photoshoot :smiley:
  • laura9503
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »

That note was more for all those readers who lurk on the forums and might misunderstand my advice for your very specific situation, as general weight loss advice (noooooo, not in the slightest). I'd hate to think that I might contribute to a really really unhealthy way of eating for somebody. Hence, the warning.

Good luck with the photoshoot :smiley:

I'm very happy you added that, I myself used to have anorexia and would often skim through forums. Thanks!
  • laura9503
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Next Sunday? As in the 29th? (I'm not good at working out what people mean when they say things like that)

- Start cutting back on carbs about a week in advance. Slowly reducing carb amount day by day is easiest.
    - Cut back on your salt 2 days before, but don't go too low. (Before that you can be doing yourself a mischief by having too low sodium)
    - Do not heavily exercise for 3 days before (muscle repair can hold water weight), and only very light exercise the previous day (some light walk is fine)
    - Make sure you stay relatively consistent with the food your eating in the days running up to it (especially fibre and fat). Avoid anything that you don't know how your body might react.
    - Drink plenty of water until the night before.
    - A laxative the day before might also be beneficial. Edit 2: Possibly not the best suggestion. This very much depends on how regular you are. If you've never taken one before, don't let this be your first experience. You've no idea how your body will react.
    - And have a hot bath the morning of the shoot (keep it short)

Be careful, you can feel slightly light headed after the bath, get up slowly. Take little sips of water to keep yourself a hydrated. If you feel dizzy, drink water until you don't feel faint anymore.

Edit 1: Once you are done, eat something high calorie, drink loads of water and grab yourself a sports drink.
    And I forgot to mention: Drink plenty of water until the night before.

NOTE FOR GENERAL READERS:
    This is not a method of losing weight, nor will it has sustained results on the scales. It is a very short term method that is designed ONLY for looking a certain way for a few hours. For example photo shoots. Do not attempt this if you want to lose fat. It will not help.

Also note:
    This isn't very healthy doing this.

Here's the thing though- even though you put in the caveat that it isn't a good idea, that isn't the way it works. Posting about using a laxative other than what it is intended for is irresponsible. Regardless of the caveat. Using a laxative for other reasons besides what it is intended for is unsafe.

Besides why would the op want to have explosive diarrhea at her photo shoot or even take the chance that it could happen by taking a laxative in the manner in which it is not intended?
    I know I wouldn't want to be the person blowing up the bathroom during a photoshoot but that's just me.

Op since you stated that you have a past with eating disorders,I really hope you disregard any unsafe methods posted here today. I'm sure you look just fine, they probably wouldn't have picked you if you didn't :)

I agree that laxatives aren't healthy. However, I can feel very ill due to my bowel problems. Sometimes, I cannot go to the toilet for so long that I almost vomit because my food cannot pass anymore. Laxatives aren't healthy but they do make me feel better in the end. I'm soon going to a dietitian so this is not a long-term solution, but for now the only thing that makes me feel better. Also, I don't use it every day and definitely not multiple times a day. I use it on occasions where I really don't want to feel nauseous due to the fullness or bloating.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Next Sunday? As in the 29th? (I'm not good at working out what people mean when they say things like that)

- Start cutting back on carbs about a week in advance. Slowly reducing carb amount day by day is easiest.
    - Cut back on your salt 2 days before, but don't go too low. (Before that you can be doing yourself a mischief by having too low sodium)
    - Do not heavily exercise for 3 days before (muscle repair can hold water weight), and only very light exercise the previous day (some light walk is fine)
    - Make sure you stay relatively consistent with the food your eating in the days running up to it (especially fibre and fat). Avoid anything that you don't know how your body might react.
    - A laxative the day before might also be beneficial. Edit 2: Possibly not the best suggestion. This very much depends on how regular you are. If you've never taken one before, don't let this be your first experience. You've no idea how your body will react.

Be careful, you can feel slightly light headed after the bath, get up slowly. Take little sips of water to keep yourself a hydrated. If you feel dizzy, drink water until you don't feel faint anymore.

Edit 1: Once you are done, eat something high calorie, drink loads of water and grab yourself a sports drink.

This is not a method of losing weight, nor will it has sustained results on the scales. It is a very short term method that is designed ONLY for looking a certain way for a few hours. For example photo shoots. Do not attempt this if you want to lose fat. It will not help.

Also note:

Here's the thing though- even though you put in the caveat that it isn't a good idea, that isn't the way it works. Posting about using a laxative other than what it is intended for is irresponsible. Regardless of the caveat. Using a laxative for other reasons besides what it is intended for is unsafe.

Besides why would the op want to have explosive diarrhea at her photo shoot or even take the chance that it could happen by taking a laxative in the manner in which it is not intended?
    I know I wouldn't want to be the person blowing up the bathroom during a photoshoot but that's just me.

Op since you stated that you have a past with eating disorders,I really hope you disregard any unsafe methods posted here today. I'm sure you look just fine, they probably wouldn't have picked you if you didn't :)

I agree that laxatives aren't healthy. However, I can feel very ill due to my bowel problems. Sometimes, I cannot go to the toilet for so long that I almost vomit because my food cannot pass anymore. Laxatives aren't healthy but they do make me feel better in the end. I'm soon going to a dietitian so this is not a long-term solution, but for now the only thing that makes me feel better. Also, I don't use it every day and definitely not multiple times a day. I use it on occasions where I really don't want to feel nauseous due to the fullness or bloating.

I'm sorry your sick and agree that seeing a doctor is best.
    This thread was about quick fix for bloating for a photo shoot so my comment about laxatives was in that context obviously. I had no idea of any bowel issues as it was not mentioned in the op and wasn't really part of the discussion of laxative use.
    The poster was not talking about using laxatives the correct way. They were talking about using the laxative for bloating for a photo shoot so clearly my comments were in relation to that and not any real medical issues.
    Given your past of eating disorders and now your admission of Bowel issues, I would be very careful as to the advice you follow and make an appointment with your doctor.
  • Deviette
    edited July 2018
    Options

Also note:

(Excuse the toilet talk)

Hmmm, I think we may have had some differing experiences using laxatives. I've only used mild ones that are more inclined to help move processes along (explosive diarrhea has never been an issue). If you're massively reducing your water intake, it can become much more difficult to have a bowl movement. In addition if you're travelling, I tend to find this can sometimes "bung up" the system. Of course you can always use natural laxatives such a prunes or cranberry juice instead

Yes, the suggestion may have been somewhat irresponsible in this case (hence the edit and clarification).
  • laura9503
    Options
    I understand your recommendation of laxatives, and I've also never had explosive problems or anything. It really makes me feel better and I am sad that it is not something that I can use as a medicine daily, so I do restrain myself from using it because I know it's harmful.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Since you were just picked for the photo shoot you must look great to the people doing the shoot. Remember its a photo shoot--not a competition--they will pick lighting, angles and poses that make the best photos. So do what you can in a healthy manner and have fun with it. (and if they want improvements there's always the miracle of photoshop)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Which IBD do you have? Just curious as they can make you constipated but it is much much more common to have diarrhea. IBD and laxatives is not a good idea but if your gastroenterologist is ok with it you should be fine. What IBD meds are you on? Are you on a builoguc?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Most laxitives increase bloating as they draw water into the intestines to promote evacuation. it would be the absolute last thing I would do to avoid looking bloaty in the tummy area!