Wanting to get cut and build muscle

Options
So I started in April at 228lbs and my goal is to get to 195. I am 5'8" tall. I have been eating 1700 calories a day or less and have been getting around 50-75 carbs, and 130-150 grams of protein per day. I workout usually 5 days per week including 20 minutes of cardio and 45-60mins of weights. As best as I can calculate I am around 19%-20% body fat. Almost everything I eat is whole food and complex carbs. I would like to be cut and possibly see abs by the beginning of December. Is this possible? What do I need to change? I have thought about increasing my calories to around 2000-2200 per day with about 180 grams of protein and hoping to get better workouts. Thanks for the input

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    At 5'8, 195 lbs is on the borderline between overweight and obese. I don't think you would be "cut" at that weight.

How much weight have you lost since April? Is 1700 cals the goal mfp gave you? How much of a deficit is that?

Having said that, you have a lot of time to make progress! Aim for 1 lb per week, make sure you're getting enough protein, and if you're not already, get on a structured, progressive strength training program.

It's kind of hard to predict when someone will get cut or have abs as everyone carries their weight a little diffetently. Good luck!
  • rachellep103
    rachellep103 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? That can be a huge difference in interpreting stats.
    Generally speaking, males see abs below 10% body fat, women below 15%. (Very loose generalization!)
  • benandstephlegg1
    benandstephlegg1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Male
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Well, pictures would be nice.
    Building muscle & losing fat for someone already adapted to weight training is pretty much out of the question; I do believe many perceive losing fat with looking more muscular though despite weighing less. I think fatloss/maintain muscle is what you are really after...

Do not know how long, literally took me like several years (more serious dieting/exercise) before having visual abs consistently (not always a 6 pack, that **** is ridiculously hard to maintain). It's going to vary greatly person to person based on body's preferred location of fat storage
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have said, be cautious taking measured body fat % with a grain of salt; depending on the methodology the measuring techniques and devices can be woefully inaccurate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I started in April at 228lbs and my goal is to get to 195. I am 5'8" tall. I have been eating 1700 calories a day or less and have been getting around 50-75 carbs, and 130-150 grams of protein per day. I workout usually 5 days per week including 20 minutes of cardio and 45-60mins of weights. As best as I can calculate I am around 19%-20% body fat. Almost everything I eat is whole food and complex carbs. I would like to be cut and possibly see abs by the beginning of December. Is this possible? What do I need to change? I have thought about increasing my calories to around 2000-2200 per day with about 180 grams of protein and hoping to get better workouts. Thanks for the input

I think you're going to have to cut lower than 195 to be cut and have visible abs. I'm 5'10" and sit around 15% BF @ 180. I look fit at that weight and BF%, but I wouldn't remotely describe myself as cut. I'm around 186 at the moment and definitely a little fluffy around the midsection...I'd say I'm around 18% right now.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think you're going to have to cut lower than 195 to be cut and have visible abs. I'm 5'10" and sit around 15% BF @ 180. I look fit at that weight and BF%, but I wouldn't remotely describe myself as cut. I'm around 186 at the moment and definitely a little fluffy around the midsection...I'd say I'm around 18% right now.

Pictures?

of what? 18% body fat? or the OP?
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2018
    Options

Pictures?

@ 180 Lbs

642959b00d818ab70aff57cb82534d2982d4.jpg

@183 Lbs

6429fa70905b8ec93a15045b94b238547ef6.jpg

@186/187 Lbs

64297ea6214f13b4aab71267a727e4b012c6.jpg

Sorry, don't have very many pics of myself...
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    At 5'8, 195 lbs is on the borderline between overweight and obese.

This quote is obviously not true for everyone. I'm 5'8" and 190lbs, but I don't think I fit this description. She more correctly states later, that everyone carries their weight differently.

To help answer your question, my profile pic was taken at about 175lbs and I had somewhat visible abs. Since I lost over 60 pounds, I have some loose skin and it makes seeing ab definition a little more difficult. It looks like we're about the same build, so I would bet you would see abs about 180-185lbs. Good luck bro!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Im 5'10 and 154pounds but im not fully sixpacked. I should bulk right?😂😂 lean bulk? Im also teen

When I was a teen I was 140 Lbs soaking wet...maybe.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

This quote is obviously not true for everyone. I'm 5'8" and 190lbs, but I don't think I fit this description. She more correctly states later, that everyone carries their weight differently.

To help answer your question, my profile pic was taken at about 175lbs and I had somewhat visible abs. Since I lost over 60 pounds, I have some loose skin and it makes seeing ab definition a little more difficult. It looks like we're about the same build, so I would bet you would see abs about 180-185lbs. Good luck bro!

Per medical diagnosis this is true.

I'm 5'10 and 175ish on cut and closer to 225 on bulk. At 175 I still am considered overwieght for my height by the medical profession at 225, I'm very firmly in the obese category.

Obviously this is not accurate for everyone in practice, but per diagnosis guidelines, it is.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Did the OP post a photo I missed? He hasn't even stated how much under his start weight of 228 he currently is and at what weight he's guesstimating his body fat percentage at 19%-20%. If he's even 220 at the moment and 19% body fat at his height he is SERIOUSLY jacked/yoked. Not saying he isn't a Tom Platz - but the most likely scenario is he's overestimating how much muscle he really has.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Whether you fit agree or not, you fit this description based on BMI. BMI is generally used for large population groups . So, not always precise for an individual. But, not a bad ballpark in general. I am 5'8.5" and 185 and about low 20%s body fat.

The OP is not at 195 today. He doesn't say where he is. Only that he started at 228. For him to be at 19 to 20% BF at, say 210, he would have to be seriously jacked. Quite honestly, I don't believe that number at all. I don't know how he came to it. He doesn't say.

At 5'8", to get abs popping, he'd need to be down around 12% to 15% at least. Maybe lower. I'd guess he's need to be in the 170s somewhere. Just like you were when you had some abs showing. Again, there are differences in muscle mass etc. But, without a pic or some objective info on his BF testing, I think he in way underestimating his BF%.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    5'-8" - 195lbs is borderline obese?? Too bad for me I guess

I'm so tired of BMI (at least for me). Insurance companies think I'm overweight even though I recently got my BF% tested at 12%... I've had to explain myself recently because I've had to apply for life insurance through work. lol
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    5'-8" - 195lbs is borderline obese?? Too bad for me I guess

I'm so tired of BMI (at least for me). Insurance companies think I'm overweight even though I recently got my BF% tested at 12%... I've had to explain myself recently because I've had to apply for life insurance through work. lol

I agree that BMI can be crap for some who are very muscular and lean, and it stinks that insurance companies rely so much on it. But the average person is neither, and there's nothing in his posts to suggest OP is an outlier.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This is great info, needed to know so thanks!!!!