Strength Training/ Weights for Beginner?

Options
I'm looking to start a strength training/weights program. Problem is, gym membership is not financially possible atm. I do have limited equipment at home and may be able to buy more piece by piece. I don't want to sustain an injury by being totally ignorant about what I'm doing and don't have the benefit of a trainer...Anyone know of any online resources available to teach newbies what to do and how to do it so I'm not just throwing around dumbells all willy-nilly?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are popular programs.
  • GenghisDon515
    GenghisDon515 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I ran into this when I started out too. I googled “body-weight” workouts and there are a number of guides out there to help you. Pick your favorite and try it. The beauty of it is that you never have to worry about whether you’ve got too light of a load be it dumbbell, barbell etc. Your body is designed to carry its own weight and will get stronger doing that. Go for it!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just did videos with dumbbells, like 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, The Firm...then added in push-ups and pullups.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Pahla Bowers youtube channel!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    HASfit beginner on YouTube
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What equipment do you have at home?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Nerdfitness beginners body weight and HasFit worked for me as a beginner working at home.
    I then progressed to the gym and AllPro.

30day shred is a fun intro too.

Have a look through these programmes.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Starting strength book 3rd addition. Not a perfect program but better than 99% of others program for a novice and if anything you take some of the info from the book, you'll be better off in the long run.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started with this program M&S Full Body Dumbbell Routine. I really liked the video how-to's and found the written instructions easy to follow. I ran the program for 11 weeks. I started with a set of adjustable dumbbells up to 20 pounds each, 40 pounds total (around $45-50 at Dick's Sporting Goods or Amazon).

After I determined I liked lifting weights I went down to Play It Again Sports and bought additional weights (10 pounds for each side at around .60/pound) to use with the set. I finished that program and started with the New Rules of Lifting for Women but that program requires additional 'stuff'.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of fitness equipment at Goodwill. It might take several visits to find what you want because they turn over a lot of items.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start a strength training/weights program. Problem is, gym membership is not financially possible atm. I do have limited equipment at home and may be able to buy more piece by piece. I don't want to sustain an injury by being totally ignorant about what I'm doing and don't have the benefit of a trainer...Anyone know of any online resources available to teach newbies what to do and how to do it so I'm not just throwing around dumbells all willy-nilly?

@MrsSmith1112
    Body weight workouts are great. First, using just your own body weight lowers the chance of injury (a concern of yours), doesn't eliminate it completely as nothing really does. Second, there are thousands of online workouts geared for body weight workouts online. My personal favorite are AthleneX (Jeff Cavalier), they are pretty hard and I still have to modify the workout or take a lot of extra pauses just to finish, but I am loving the results.