Hot liquids to curb satiety?

Options
2»

Replies

• buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to drink hot tea all the time, then I stopped. I recently started back up and I've noticed new lows in my weight. I drink tea in the evening and I've noticed it helps curb the need for late night snacks (which is probably why I've seen some new lows lol :D )
  • Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Coffee
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Hot tea does seem to help me. It gives me the feeling of having something while not actually using up any (or many) calories). Keeps me from thinking about what food to eat next!

That would the magical warm glow of contentment that a
    proper cup of tea brings to the soul. Not Lipton tea though, that stuff is unspeakable filth.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of hot tea (because I like it) and I do think it helps with my appetite. I do use milk powder and sucralose in mine, so it's not totally calorie free. But it's way lower calorie than anything else I'd eat for the same feeling of having my stomach full of something warm and delicious. I can go a long time without eating anything else on tea alone.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    i love hot tea or hot coffee to help me stay full.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I’ve done hot tea with stevia in the evenings to help me curb cravings. I don’t know the science behind the study, but for me it rings true.
  • sahejanandk
    sahejanandk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is a great article to parouse on this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK236229/ I just went to a convention where one of the speakers addressed this. Hot liquids give the brain a signal that results in satiety. Hot liquids after a meal also helps digestion.

Here are his credentials
    Christopher D. Still, DO, FACP, FTOS
    Professor of Medicine
    Department of Clinical Sciences
    Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
    Medical Director, Center for Nutrition & Weight Management
    Director, Geisinger Obesity Institute
    Geisinger Health System
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, do it. Sometimes, a cup of broth can kill the afternoon munchies for me, especially if I put a lot of seasoning in it like Mrs. Dash or the like. Sometimes, I even add some calories as well as flavor with pesto or parmesan.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    Absolutely works for me. That’s why I budget for 2-3 chai lattes every day.

3gr Blue Lotus instant chai, 24gr Jordan’s sugar free salted caramel syrup, a tiny fraction of a cup of frothed skim milk, and a severe shaking of Vietnamese cinnamon on top.

17 calories of sheer unadulterated, fragrant, spicy bliss.

I can usually go a couple of hours afterwards without craving a snack.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I’m a massive tea drinker and have found no difference in hot or cold teas with satiety
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I remember watching something on TV where they tested this with a bunch of soldiers. They divided them into two groups, fed them the same meal, but one group’s food was puréed and given as a soup, then set them a bunch of very physical challenges. The soup group not only Performed better but reported feeling fuller for longer than those who ate the food as meat and veggies.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hot coffee does, but cold coffee doesn't for me. I always have warm coffee after a meal. It helps me feel satisfied.