How does MFP compare to Weight Watchers?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    As a Lifetime of WW I had many losses but never kept with the WW Program and always gained it back (plus more). Never changed my Lifestyle.

2013 at age 65 and 376# I joined WW again because I was afraid of surgery and knew WW has always helped me lose.

After losing -100, after two years , my WW Mtg Leader told me “Now DON’T stop!”
    I kept my focus to NOT gain any back. I kept going to weekly WW Meeting and WIs. I lost 16# in 2015.

2016 I wanted to get below 200, WW started Smart Points Program. I added MFP Social media for the Lose 52 Pounds In 52 Weeks Challenge, I lost 37# (268 to 231)

2017 I repeated the WW program and MFP Challenge and lost 43# BELOW 200! (231 to 187)

2018 made Goal Weight (184) and Lifetime WW member. Currently 181.

Both programs work IF you realize that CICO. WW new Freestyle is my third different WW program since 2013. They all try to help but it’s really up to what and how much you eat PERIOD. No magic bullet! AND MOVE!

I walked, aqua aerobics and swimming. No crazy diets, no marathons no Biggest Loser just a determination to lose and not gain it back.

• sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mfp is the only app that has worked for me. I can't speak to any recent WW pgms but I joined and dropped out many times over 2 decades without losing weight. I didn't lose significant weight until i joined mfp. I like the flexibility of mfp - I can spend my calories on wine, jellybeans and pizza if I want. Mfp has a free level that has everything I need. The mfp forums are a mine of fabulous advice. I can adjust my protein, fat, carb macros to control my appetite. The mfp app makes it so easy to scan barcodes. I vote for mfp!
  • Bod4GodAnnice
    Bod4GodAnnice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    elizawho48 wrote: »
    I lost 30 while on WW but plateaued when Freestyle rolled out. I hung in there for 6 weeks but the scale wouldn’t budge. I started dual tracking on MFP and found I was netting 750 calories daily on 23 points, with eating all my weeklies AND my Fitpoints (full disclosure I manually entered exercise only so maybe 4 per day). That was it. MFP turned on the light to show me what my diet truly looked like. I’m a type 2 diabetic on insulin so the hard data in macros that MFP gives me (I paid for premium - which is equal $ to 2 months of WW meetings - premium groups my macros per meal) is extremely helpful with insulin dosing. The database and program itself can’t be beat. Always frustrated me that WW - that you pay for - can’t make their tracking program better.

I still have 20 lbs to go; I am choosing to take this slower and play with numbers and see what works best for me. Not only where I lose, but where I feel best at. I’ve found those are two different numbers entirely.

I will echo the sentiments of another MFP poster who said MFP levels the playing field in terms of making all food choices the same - whereas for me, WW really fed into my “good food/bad food” disordered thinking.

Another key reason that I use MFP over WW is because every time I’ve tried to return to WW, it feels like a diet. Not sustainable for life for me. I’ve already failed WW once, 15 years ago when I lost 25 lbs and gained it all back. I am NOT doing that again - so MFP for the win 😉

I came to MFP for after 3 months on WW. Lost very little. Free really wasn't free. I paid for MFP for a year $49 which is much cheaper. I love it for nutrients information as I have HBP
  • lgharb3251
    lgharb3251 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started MFP a month ago and I am losing 2 pounds week. It really works! I am very satisfied
  • janeo150
    janeo150 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got tired of "The List". Eating from lists screams diet. I got tired of being rewarded with steady gains for working their program. I hated weigh ins by insensitive receptionists, and being accused of doing things wrong and flat out lying in front of other members about my exercise habits by leaders who weren't in such great shape themselves. My family stopped eating my cooking because to stay low point things got really bland. And I would look on sadly while they ate good stuff and I ate zero point dry chicken and salad.

That's what I don't like. The food and meeting aspect. But in terms of teaching psychological and emotional strategies toward eating, I like WW. I wish the plan focused more on that instead of restrict, restrict, restrict.

I quit WW when a receptionist weighed me (I had lost 2 lbs) and accused me of cheating because she thought I should be losing more per week.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    janeo150 wrote: »
    I got tired of "The List". Eating from lists screams diet. I got tired of being rewarded with steady gains for working their program. I hated weigh ins by insensitive receptionists, and being accused of doing things wrong and flat out lying in front of other members about my exercise habits by leaders who weren't in such great shape themselves. My family stopped eating my cooking because to stay low point things got really bland. And I would look on sadly while they ate good stuff and I ate zero point dry chicken and salad.

That's what I don't like. The food and meeting aspect. But in terms of teaching psychological and emotional strategies toward eating, I like WW. I wish the plan focused more on that instead of restrict, restrict, restrict.

I quit WW when a receptionist weighed me (I had lost 2 lbs) and accused me of cheating because she thought I should be losing more per week.

She wants you to lose more than 2 pounds per week?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I went back and forth to WW a few times. Then I noticed that all the same people were there every time and they all weighed about the same as they ever had. It was more a club and therapy session than effective learning how to live healthier without 'tricks' for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!