Best watch/tracker for someone who loves numbers (hence running on a treadmill)

Options
I am never as motivated running outside as I am running on a treadmill. I love watching the minutes and miles go up and I like being able to adjust my pace exactly so that I can stay on target.

I like the outdoors, but I don't enjoy running outside that much, and I think it's due to not seeing my speed, estimated finish time...

So naturally I thought about getting a watch / activity tracker.

My main workouts are runs, but I also do Zumba and commute cycling every day. I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers of steps I take.
Sleep monitoring is useless for me as I have a 5 month old so I know I don't sleep well! ;)

Any advice on what to get? I've looked at garmin and fitbit but still very undecided!

Replies

• Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Started with fitbit and all was good except the bands kept going bad and I would inevitably crack the display. Now I have a Garmin Fenix and I love it, I'm very hard on watches but this one must be indestructible - my fitbits would get scratches and cracks but this thing I haven't been able to even mar. This model is probably a lot more than you want, but I've seen a lot of good reviews for other Garmin sports watches too.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm with you for exactly the same logic on the treadmill love. I've been trying to be openminded about outdoor running, too. The pokemon are all out there, after all. I have a Fitbit Charge 2. I have also got a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ floating around here somewhere. On the treadmill, you're going to get about the same quality of numbers from both devices. I think the Garmin also supplied cadence, but my entire playlist is doctored to 180 bpm, so I already knew that. The Garmin does give more and better numbers for outdoor runs, like elevation gain and loss. The record-keeping is probably better than Fitbit. I prefer the Fitbit anyway, for it's flatter profile against my wrist, and the inflated calorie count. I don't think either set of numbers is correct, but the Fitbit seems to be closer to reality, and I was stressing out about starving to death trying to eat as little as Garmin wanted me to. I have been considering giving it another run and playing more with some settings - I understand they work differently. Garmin expects me to give a better analysis of my activity level, which varies So Much that I don't like to work that way - and Fitbit just gives an adjustment to my activity level like they don't expect me to think about it at all.

I don't know if the build quality is better on those higher-end Garmin devices - I'm not made of money, and I recognized that I don't need feedback for everything. My Garmin and Fitbit have similar numbers of scratches and dings. I haven't managed to wreck a band for either, yet. The Charge 2 bands are replaceable, anyway.

I am under the impression that Fitbit's Charge HR used to allow for 3 "snooze" sessions after the alarm. I think one of my complaints about the Garmin was the lack of snooze. The Charge 2 also lacks a snooze.

I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions between those products that anyone may have. I might have to take a minute to remember the password for my Garmin account.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like the reviews this guy does, he also has a comparison table across brands so that might be helpful.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

There is alot more out there than garmin and fitbit these days, so don't discount polar, misfit, and many smartwatch brands are able to track fitness anymore.

My personal opinion, for GPS capability garmin wins. I think fitbit still rely's on your phone's gps, and doesn't have it built into their actual watches. That may or may not be an issue for you?

Garmin tends to be more expensive as you are paying for more running/sport specific features.

Fitbits tend to be "prettier" than Garmin, IMO, which is something to consider if you plan to wear it as an all day tracker. Garmin seems to be working in that direction, but right now you either have a good running watch, or a pretty activity tracker (with the exception of the lady version of the fenix, but I just don't care to sink $500+ into a gadget).

Garmin and fitbit both have the ability to merge data from multiple devices if you end up with more than one. I read where users have figured out how to merge data from garmin, fitbit, and MFP using Strava as a go between as well, but I have never tried it personally (and probably other apps as well, but I only know of this one).

I started with fitbit and moved over to garmin when I got more into running. Currently, I have a garmin FR230 that I wear for runs/workout, and I recently picked up the first generation of the vivomove for everyday wear since it is pretty. The original models are pretty cheap (but also basic, no smart watch capabilities, just steps and a move bar).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you really like metrics I would go with one of the Garmin Forerunners that is also compatible with their Running Dynamics Pod or one from a competitor (so buy the watch and the pod). The best reviews of most of the Garmin watches compatible with it, as well as a number of other watches/trackers can be found on DCRainmaker. Unlike just about any other website, I would recommend reading the comments.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 225 which i love, but it doesn't do cycling. my husband has the Garmin 35 which does cycling as well.

a HRM would be little use for zumba.

i agree with looking at DC Rainmakers website for a full run down of every device out there to help you decide!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Garmin 935.

/thread
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Garmin 935.

/thread

*googles like mad*

any excuse for a new Garmin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    If you really like metrics I would go with one of the Garmin Forerunners that is also compatible with their Running Dynamics Pod or one from a competitor (so buy the watch and the pod). The best reviews of most of the Garmin watches compatible with it, as well as a number of other watches/trackers can be found on DCRainmaker. Unlike just about any other website, I would recommend reading the comments.

If you like numbers, Running Dynamics is cool. Probably won't help you run better, but it will tell you a lot about your form. I like having Running Dynamics for cross country skiing, the "stride length" tells me how much glide I'm getting, you can tell which pair of skis I used in any given trip from that one field.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Sliedur wrote: »
    Started with fitbit and all was good except the bands kept going bad and I would inevitably crack the display. Now I have a Garmin Fenix and I love it, I'm very hard on watches but this one must be indestructible - my fitbits would get scratches and cracks but this thing I haven't been able to even mar. This model is probably a lot more than you want, but I've seen a lot of good reviews for other Garmin sports watches too.

I got hit by a car going 35 to 40 mph while riding my bike. Landed on the hood, on the arm my watch was on, then I got the ground. Came too thinking I had broken my arm. My Fenix came through the experience unscathed.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sliedur wrote: »

I got hit by a car going 35 to 40 mph while riding my bike. Landed on the hood, on the arm my watch was on, then I got the ground. Came too thinking I had broken my arm. My Fenix came through the experience unscathed.

jeeze, how the heck did I manage to crack my FR230 then! Its still hanging in there with some super glue though!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Fenix line is primarily aimed at hikers. The case is mostly metal and the screen is sapphire, both of which contribute to its ruggedness ... and weight.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am never as motivated running outside as I am running on a treadmill.
    I am still trying to wrap my head around this sentence :lol: The treadmill is torture is for me just watching the minutes/miles go by.

The Fenix 5 is a very nice watch, but in terms of functionality you can get what you need from something like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 for half the price unless you need any of the extra features or niceties of the higher end watches, such as a power meter on a bike or the extended battery life.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you really want to nerd out with data, Garmin Forerunner 645. Add a HR band (either Garmin's HRM-RUN or an optical armband[Scosche, Polar, Wahoo]). Add Garmin's RD footpod.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 225 which i love, but it doesn't do cycling. my husband has the Garmin 35 which does cycling as well.

It should... My 220 and 230 have cycle modes.

They aren't great. They won't do power meters. But they will record gps and speed/cadence pods. They just won't do it good. I'm starting to compare the Edge 130 to the new Stages Dash L10 that hasn't actually come out yet (shown at eurobike)
  • fityaly2015
    fityaly2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks a lot for all your answers!!! I'll have a look at DC Rainmaker, and will keep my options open, I have about a month to make my decision, I've signed up for a 10K two days after my birthday, so I wanted to hint the idea to my dear husband ;).
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

It should... My 220 and 230 have cycle modes.

They aren't great. They won't do power meters. But they will record gps and speed/cadence pods. They just won't do it good. I'm starting to compare the Edge 130 to the new Stages Dash L10 that hasn't actually come out yet (shown at eurobike)

To be fair I don't cycle outside so it doesn't really matter, but good to know! Thanks
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There's also a lot of reviews on youtubes with people showing exactly how the screen looks while running. That may be helpful for you as well.
    I actually love the look of my Garmin Vivoactive 3. I don't mind wearing it everyday. And its put up with a lot with no scratching. I shouldn't have said that, it'll probably crack tonight.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Got a Garmin 235 here. My choice was made for me pretty much by my insurer who incentivises you to exercise and has a tie-in with Garmin so that the watch automatically notifies the insurer of my workouts and I get the points awarded without having to do much.

That said, I love the 235. I've also tried a Fitbit, a TomTom, and a Miband.

I love data, and real-time assessment of performance, and for me, the Garmin is leagues ahead of the others I tried.

I use a heart rate monitor chest strap (A Wahoo Tickr X) and the strap and the watch work well together.

The watch is a bit fiddly to set up, but it's set-and-forget: you do it once when you get it in the mail, then that's it.

I had thought I'd use it to monitor my pace and push that, but actually I now use it far more to monitor my heart rate and push (or maintain) that. Referencing heartrate for me is much better as I consider it a pretty definite measure of effort. Air temperature, how energised I am, how hydrated, etc all get factored in - I can tell if I am getting a cold, because, all other things being equal, my heart rate will be 5-10bpm higher than I'd expect.

The 235 has everything you stated - GPS and a step counter. It has wrist-based heart rate monitoring which is fine for day-long monitoring, but nothing beats a chest strap for activity heart rate monitoring in my opinion. I didn't expect to take much note of its sleep-tracking, but that seems relatively accurate and produces interesting data.

Everyone's different, and it comes down to personality, but for me, getting a decent HRM has made a massive difference. I used to despise running but now I really love it. Funnily enough I think this is probably because I was pushing myself too hard without a HRM - my natural instinct is to run at a pace which the watch showed me was about 90% of my max heart rate - no wonder I was getting sick of it! Now that I have a wrist-based excuse to slow down a bit, and regulate my effort, funnily enough, I'm able to go for longer, and not feel so grim. I still ramp it up towards the end, but the watch allows me to properly keep enough in reserve for that, and to manage that ramp effectively.

Hope that's of help/interest.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Oh, right. I forgot about the Garmin Vivosmart HR+'s performance on my wrist regarding heart rate. When I start a run, it doesn't register properly for the first 10 minutes of the run. The Fitbit gives me good data from minute 1. Chest straps may well be the better technology, and I understand that the Fitbit doesn't work as well for everyone, but I am a pale, not very hairy person, and the tech works really well for me. I don't know why Garmin's doesn't. It works well enough from minute 11. But losing that first 10 minutes is really frustrating.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Oh, right. I forgot about the Garmin Vivosmart HR+'s performance on my wrist regarding heart rate. When I start a run, it doesn't register properly for the first 10 minutes of the run. The Fitbit gives me good data from minute 1. Chest straps may well be the better technology, and I understand that the Fitbit doesn't work as well for everyone, but I am a pale, not very hairy person, and the tech works really well for me. I don't know why Garmin's doesn't. It works well enough from minute 11. But losing that first 10 minutes is really frustrating.

My guess would be the built in GPS. I have some issues with the new Fitbit ionic fuel to the built in GPS. I can't just go run, I have to wait for the GPS to connect first or I lose some of it.