WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Options
TVDMD
TVDMD Posts: 50 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
What are you doing to lose weight? How's it going?

I am currently doing intermittent fasting along with 10 minutes of HIIT a day. I must say the feeling of being healthier came way before the physical improvement. But, to simplify the IF I am doing is basically eating one meal a day at 6pm. I get off at 5pm so anywhere between 6 and 7pm I know I will eat my meal. My calorie goal is 1340 a day and that's what I eat everyday, once a day. It won't work for everyone but I love it. Makes me feel like I'm binging without actually binging. You have to find what works for you. Also I HATE working out so 10 min of intense exercise a day has worked wonders for me. I feel skinny already. This is just another option if you're looking for something very simple and extremely effective.

Replies

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is really important to do what works for you. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and keep within my calories. Summer is easy for me—better produce and not teaching. My summer work for the coming school year is pretty sedentary, so I’m trying to work on moving a bit more on the days I don’t work out. I jog and walk for a total of 5 miles every other day and am slowly adding in some walking on the other days. Right now it’s working fine but I always lose in the summer and gain in the winter (Wisconsin) so I will start planning ahead for the coming winter.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cool! You have found something that works for you. Keep going!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Eating less than I burn
    Trying to be more active without "exercising" so walking and cycling mostly

As for doing HIIT everyday. A while ago during one of my gym stints I asked one of the guys about HIIT and if I should try and squeeze in 10-15 mins a day. His response was, if you can do a HIIT session every day then you're not actually doing a HIIT. The High Intensity in HIIT means the intensity level required should result in the need for at least a day or two recovery afterwards. HIIT done right should only be possible 3 (perhaps 4 for an elite athlete) times a week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tracking my intake.
    Staying active. Mostly walking.
    Trying to beat insomnia to get enough sleep.
  • beachgirl1130
    beachgirl1130 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Calorie deficit, low carb, high protein, lots of greens. I CrossFit 3-4x a week. Run on off days. Eat small frequent meals and lots of water. And no processed food and sugar if I can help it.
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Also doing one meal a day and I wish I woulda done it sooner, makes eating at a deficit way easier.
    I also train muay thai 3x a week, lift 2x a week, and maybe go for a run once or twice.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Eating within my calories.

I exercise for performance, not for weightloss. I do about 5 hours worth of Judo/Judo related training weekly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just track my calories, no special approach or food/time restrictions although I do skip a meal or two here or there when I'm planning a heavy meal. I mostly walk for calories. I also run 2-4 times a week, but usually short runs 20 or so minutes except for a longer run once a week. I also do a little bit of resistance training almost daily, just a few minutes of body weight exercise.
  • onemanpeloton
    onemanpeloton Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Eating less than I burn

As for doing HIIT everyday. A while ago during one of my gym stints I asked one of the guys about HIIT and if I should try and squeeze in 10-15 mins a day. His response was, if you can do a HIIT session every day then you're not actually doing a HIIT. The High Intensity in HIIT means the intensity level required should result in the need for at least a day or two recovery afterwards. HIIT done right should only be possible 3 (perhaps 4 for an elite athlete) times a week.

I agree with this, especially when seeking a performance benefit. However, if it's a higher intensity than you're used to and it gets the heart beating harder then it's a good start
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm counting calories, but also trying to cut all grains except oatmeal, because I tend to overeat with them and it's easier to get my nutrients and not go over calories when I eat that way. So proteins, fruits, vegetables, and some dairy like cottage cheese, yogurt and milk. Probably not much if any cheese. And I am leaving oatmeal in the mix because it's not an overdo-it food for me. :)

I am also attempting 30 minutes of cardio daily, along with 15 minutes of strength training and 15 minutes of yoga.

I binge ate last night, though, so, hopefully I can get myself together and really do this for real. Ugh...
  • racheladleruk
    racheladleruk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    - Planning what I’m going to eat in advance as much as possible, to ensure I stay in a calorie deficit. Only worried about calorie deficit, so all food groups are available :):):)
    - Keeping my goals in mind in the supermarket so I don’t buy the stuff that doesn’t fit with my plan.
    - Finding great new recipes that fit in my plan to prevent boredom.
    - Enjoying eating out at least once a week.
    - Walking at least 10,000 steps a day
    Lost 12lbs since the end of May without ever feeling hungry or deprived.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't track so I basically try to get enough protein first, then fill in the rest. I eat less during the week and more on weekends but it evens out. I kind of do some mild calorie/carb cycling so on my workout days (lifting) I eat a bit more carbs. Oh and I use my trend weight over time to modify my intake.

I love to lift and bodybuild so I do that mostly, then some cardio for fitness and to allow for some wiggle room within my deficit.

I typically take it slow and steady and that works well.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    -Eating up to 1550 cals/day
    -Making almost everything from scratch (so I can be accurate logging my pizza and curry)
    -Taking my breakfast and lunch to work
    -Eating something sweet almost every day (in this weather I am really enjoying the small ice cream mars bars from multipacks, and they're only 140cals)
    -Making sure my step count average is >12.5k/day
    -Losing 0.5lbs - 1lb per week
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating anything I want that fits with my daily calories and macro targets. Exercising at home (mostly weights, callisthenics, some aerobics and lots of dancing). Currently maintaining around 60lbs below my heaviest.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Eating within my calories and lifting heavy things. B)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Eating less than I burn

^^^^ This

1-2 times per week at most when I ventured into doing that. Also, in order to fully reap the benefits of HIIT, 10 minutes is on the low side, 15 is closer to optimum. And if you're doing it right, it pretty much wipes you out for a bit and recovery does last a while. No possible way I personally could do HIIT on back-to-back days, let alone more than 2 times in a week.
  • TVDMD
    TVDMD Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. I just try to make better choices and watch portions. I pretty much eat everything including burgers and hotdogs, but I don't overdo it like I used to (so I have one burger not 2, etc).I havelost just under 1 lb a week doing this and started 18 weeks ago for a loss of 17 pounds. At dinner and lunch I eat carbs, veg, and protein. At breakfast I have a carb and a protein. I also do 5-6 classes per week (bodycombat, bodystep and strong Zumba). In between all of this I have had some cheat days so would probably have lost more without them, but I am happy since the scale is going in the right direction. I am 163 lbs,, 5'4 and 42 years of age. I also do some substitutions such as popcorn in place of chips, protein bar in place of chocolate bar, etc.