Sodium and drinking too much water

Options
Hello,

recently I was wondering how consuming large amounts of sodium together with drinking large amounts of water can lead to more water retention, especially when done in a short period of time...

Even though drinking a lot of water is supposed to flush excess water out of your body I feel like heaving a meal with 10+ grams of salt together with 2+ liters of water leads to even more water retention then a salty meal by itself...

Any thoughts about this?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't think you're retaining more water, I think it's just the weight of the extra water on top of the water retention, and you just haven't urinated it out yet. You are going to weigh more hydrated than dehydrated with or without the retention from extra salt just 'cause water is heavy.

Total speculation, of course.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Who cares its not fat.
  • MaxPrinz
    MaxPrinz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Who cares its not fat.

well if it does affect my looks I kinda care :smiley: , @RelCanonical I think I retain more water subcutaniously for sure
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    MaxPrinz wrote: »
    Who cares its not fat.

well if it does affect my looks I kinda care :smiley: , @RelCanonical I think I retain more water subcutaniously for sure

Its not permanent and its normal bodily functions. With the above logic you would be in a state of perpetual dehydration so you could look thinner.

If you want to look better focus on muscle gain and fat loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I had the odd experience yesterday of being down 6 pounds while eating at maintenance for a week which included lots of salty Asian soups and extra fluid. Since it's not possible to be fat loss it has to be water loss, which I found odd given all the soy sauce and fish sauce I've been consuming.

It may have something to do with the fact that I am sick and not exercising - perhaps when we work out regularly we always retain a little water, and when I stopped I lost it.

Whatever, it was quite a shock on the scale yesterday.

I don't expect it to be permanent and am up a pound today.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had the odd experience yesterday of being down 6 pounds while eating at maintenance for a week which included lots of salty Asian soups and extra fluid. Since it's not possible to be fat loss it has to be water loss, which I found odd given all the soy sauce and fish sauce I've been consuming.

It may have something to do with the fact that I am sick and not exercising - perhaps when we work out regularly we always retain a little water, and when I stopped I lost it.

If you are sick and on a liquid diet it most certainly is solid waste clearing out of your system.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If you are sick and on a liquid diet it most certainly is solid waste clearing out of your system.

I thought about that, but there wasn't any appreciable extra solid waste. Maybe it liquefied?