After 226lb and a lifetime...

Options
ceiswyn
ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
As of this morning, I have a BMI of 25. That’s a goal I’ve dreamed of all my life, in much the same way that one might dream of meeting a unicorn. It was never something I thought could actually happen.

Almost two years ago, this was me:
oiiko4fjw3vm.jpeg
fu0chc7c3hsm.jpeg

I was 27 1/2 stone (385 lb, 175 kg), BMI 60, with one permanently broken ankle and a damaged achilles that meant I couldn’t walk more than a couple of hundred metres without pain.

I had been fat and unfit for my entire life. I was obese by the time I was a teenager. I dieted on and off for decades, adult and child. I gave up on dieting and determined to just be happy with my body and enjoy life despite it. It helped my mental health issues, but the world wasn’t going to let me forget; at times I avoided going out because of the abuse I would get just for existing.

One day, at 39 years old, I couldn’t take the world’s hatred anymore. I thought everyone would be happier if I just ceased to exist. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and do it by starving myself. Either I’d end up dead, or I’d end up thin, and either of those alternatives seemed OK to me.

Unsurprisingly, the next few weeks involved highly disordered eating pattens! But I learned from them. I learned that my desperate emotional state could kill my appetite; and I started to wonder what other, more healthy, thoughts might have the same effect. I did lose weight, which told me it could be done if I was willing to try hard enough. I learned to get a kick from successful self-discipline that was better than the kick from doughnuts. I learned about the calorie content of different foods, and in comparing that to the eating patterns I’d been given by dieting organisations in the past I began to understand how I’d always stayed fat before - and how I might not stay fat now.

I started to take very short walks, within the limits of my damaged ankles, multiple times a day. Gradually they grew longer. Gradually my motivation changed from hatred of what I was to love of what I was becoming.

And this is what I have become:
epbihpa7r0xq.jpeg
h5m260r8ezxi.jpeg

I am 41 years old and 11 st 5 (160 lb, 73 kg), BMI 25. My ankle is still broken and my achilles is still dodgy, but they’re only rarely a problem now; they’re lifting so much less, and better supported by the surrounding muscles. I walk three miles every day, plus dance (badly) and enjoy half-killing myself at BodyPump and other gym classes. One of the above photos is immediately after ‘STRONG’ by Zumba.

Every time I look in the mirror (which is several times a minute!) I get a weird shock at not seeing the fat woman I expect - and also at finally, unexpectedly, seeing the slim woman a part of me has always expected.

I’m an entirely new person, and I’m having fun meeting her at last.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Truly amazing! Thank you for sharing :smiley: Congratulations on the milestone!
  • georgiamarsh17
    georgiamarsh17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! What an inspiration :)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing. Congrats. How tall are you?
  • ceiswyn
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Absolutely amazing. Congrats. How tall are you?

5’7, why?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • Debra___
    Debra___ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! ♥️ Thank you for sharing your amazing weight loss success and pics. You are my inspiration today. :)
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    BethElinor wrote: »
    Wow what a fabulous transformation. So inspiring. I have about 10st to loose and reading your story made me feel like I can do it! Congratulations, you look amazing.

Thankyou! And you absolutely CAN do it. You just have to believe it, and be willing to do what it takes.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!!!!!! Such hard work and dedication but on top of that you've found a discipline that can be applied to everything in life. Well done on graduating!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You're a rock star!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A life liver indeed! Not a someday wisher......congratulations to you! Very inspirational!
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You are a rock star! Please though--where are those frigid waters in that pic?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    amazing story!! totally inspirational!! :D:D:D:DB)B)
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wow! Such an inspiring story. I bet you feel like a completely different person. Thank-you for sharing.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You are awesome! Awe-inspiring! Congrats on how far you've come and just think of how far in life you've yet to go! What wonders you will yet see. Where your feet and determination and initiative will carry you after getting you so far. It is no less than amazing. Great job. :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!