80% vs 20% ???

Options
I heard someone say today that loosing weight is 80% about diet and 20% exercise.
I have been doing the complete opposite. I work out like crazy - close to 10 hours a week, but my eating is far from perfect.
Just curious if you have found this statement to be true in your own weight loss journey??
Thanks!!

Replies

• angelarozmyn
    Options
    VERY true. Played varsity softball in college (so like 40 hours/week) and ate like crap, and it showed :)
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's true. When you stop focusing on cardio cardio cardio and dial in your diet you will find that your physique will be leaner and you will lose weight without killing yourself. Have you heard people say "Abs are made in the kitchen?"
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I agree. You do need the exercise to tone up and shape up though, so make sure that is still part of your routine.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    yep, with all the exercise I do I would be skinny if I could eat right! :noway:
  • msage38
    msage38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes that is correct. The food you fuel your body will kick-start the weightloss. When you eat better you will feel so much better and start seeing the weight fall off. The exercise will speed up the process and tone, but only if you are eating right will you see the results.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    It is def more about what you are eating! They also say to eat protein after a workout to give your muscles something to build with too. The more lean muscle you have the more you burn(true fact). It sucks I know cause I still sometimes kill myself to do a hard workout and then hope to see results faster!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Although I'm doing both diet and exercise now, I have lost many, many pounds in the past by changing my diet, but rarely have I lost pounds from exercise alone. (And I've tried.)
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Scroll down and look at my before and after pictures. Same weight in both of them, but the first one(2007) was with lots of cardio... the 2nd (2010)was clean diet and lifting.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/fargy317/
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was the same...for 2 years I focused on exercise because I didnt think I ate that bad. While I did lose inches and some weight...about 15 lbs....I plateaued for a long time....about a year. Finally when I buckled down on my diet by joining mfp the lbs started melting off. I do still cheat one or 2 meals a week and dont feel deprived. I am very close to my goal weight now... in 3 months time!!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I visited with a nutritionist who told me about MFP. She prioritized my nutrition plan with #1 Exercise and #2 Eating Better. Couldn't tell you why she ranked them in that importance, but I just know that I'm doing pretty well with the 'eating better', and not so good at the exercising!!!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Scroll down and look at my before and after pictures. Same weight in both of them, but the first one(2007) was with lots of cardio... the 2nd (2010)was clean diet and lifting.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/fargy317/

WOW thats awesome...makes me glad I made lifting a priority 2 years ago. Now that I have my diet under control I am hoping the rest of the fat will come off leaving muscles to be shown!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Primarily it's all about a calorie deficit which CAN be created with exercise. But exercise also makes us hungry. So if you just exercise and don't pay attention to your diet you tend to just eat everything you've burned and maybe then some.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    umm. TRUST ME ON THIS.

I was an athlete throughout high school doing gymnastic, then switching to competetive dance then comp cheer. I used to workout like a CRAZY person over 25 hours a week easily, and I had a membership to a gym that I went to to run on top of all that!
    BUUUUT--- I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I'd hit up taco bell, mcdonalds, DQ, WHEREVER with my teammates (order pizza, eat huge amounts of ice cream) I actually remmeber one night at Nationals I ordered this huge 5 pound thing of ice cream with 3 other girls on the team, and I ate over half of it... kinda messed up.
    Anyways, I ate well over 4,000 calories at least on a daily basis.

After this routine, the weight SLOWLY crept on. I went from being 5'8" 120 pounds to 5'8" 158 pounds from my freshmen to senior year, but I was constatly telling myself it was "muscle" I was gaining... NOPE-- it was fat due to my poor diet.

I started losing weight when I went to college, and I was stuck eating the salad bar on my meal plan, and I was too broke to eat fast food, then I began MFP in hoped of losing some more weight, and I am down to about 130...

I think it's more like 1% exercise 99% nutrition.. Seriously.

and that is comming from a girl who currently runs cross country for her college... Diet is SOOOO important.... here are even my before and afters...

ME AT 158 EATING THE WHOLLLLE THING OF CINASTIXS FROM DOMINOS BY MYSELF!!! =]

PC200077-1.jpg

HERE IS ME AFTER FIRST SEMESTER OF COLLEGE-- 145 BEFORE MFP

DSCF0974-1.jpg

This is me 14 weeks into MFP and 15 pounds thinner at 130...
    Photoon2011-07-27at20025.jpg
    Photoon2011-07-27at2001.jpg
  • Trig0r
    Trig0r Posts: 47
    Options
    The weight I have lost and the 4 inches off my waist have been not by dieting per say but just watching how much I eat, I still eat takeout's (chinese, indian, KFC, MaccyD's) but stop when I am no longer hungry as opposed to full, so smaller portions etc..

Now to the excersise part...
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this! The rare time I have been at a normal weight without trying, it was because life circumstances just made me eat healthily. All the exercise in the world is not going to make a body fueled by Snickers Bars and French fries look good (DARN!!!).
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    All I know for sure is, for me, when I eat unhealthy foods, I have no motivation to work out. I feel sluggish, tired, just very lethargic and lazy in general. If I eat healthy foods, I feel much better, WAY more energy, and I want to work out, because...well, I have energy to expend. :tongue: For me, healthy eating and exercise go hand in hand.
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm going to say obviously since I've been at this since the first of May not lost a pound- in fact I've gained 6. I exercise and strength train like a crazy woman and THOUGHT I ate pretty okay... guess not. Here's to a big change starting today.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Definitely. A minute on the lips is an hour on the treadmill