1200 calorie diet

Options
Any meal prep ideas for a 1200 calorie diet ?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    First I'd like to make sure 1200 calories is appropriate for you, as for most women it is lower than necessary, which can set them up for failure. Are you both really really short and completely sedentary?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • qrcathey91
    qrcathey91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I put in my weight and job that’s the calorie amount on my daily diary unless I entered something wrong
    Based on the starting weight you provided in your other thread, are you sure 1,200 is the right goal for you?

• qrcathey91
    Options
    Yes I have a desk job
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    First I'd like to make sure 1200 calories is appropriate for you, as for most women it is lower than necessary, which can set them up for failure. Are you both really really short and completely sedentary?

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Did you pick a weekly weightloss goal safely below 1% of your weight? It's not you, it's setup that doesn't highlight this and give you 1200 calories if you're too impatient.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    qrcathey91 wrote: »
    Yes I have a desk job

I have a desk job too, but even without deliberate exercise I'm light active.

keep in mind that if you exercise, you should eat more to account for that activity.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I started out at over 200 pounds, and set a weight loss rate of 1.5 pounds per week. That put me at approx. 1200 calories per day. I found myself hungry and tired. I knew that was not sustainable. So I reduced my goal to 1 pound per week loss. I am finding this very doable. In my opinion, you should consider what will actually work for you in the real world instead of what looks good on paper.
  • qrcathey91
    Options
    39wtse09g3dr.png
    Did you pick a weekly weightloss goal safely below 1% of your weight? It's not you, it's setup that doesn't highlight this and give you 1200 calories if you're too impatient.

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Unless you REALLY need to be there, 1200 calories is going to be tough. If you picked 2lbs a week, that's likely why it gave you that. I'd recommend backing off to 1.5lbs a week or even 1lb to make it easier to adjust.

I'm right at 200lbs right now and I'd feel like I was starving trying to do 2lbs a week. I'm set for 1lb a week, but typically range a little over that. I've been sticking with my calorie goal a lot better not feeling so deprived.
  • qrcathey91
    Options
    So I had it at 1.5lbs a week because that doesn’t sound like a lot but I Changed it to 1lb and it went up to 1540 calories a day but do you all eat take bread away from you diet ?
    snemberton wrote: »
    Unless you REALLY to be there, 1200 calories is going to be tough. If you picked 2lbs a week, that's likely why it gave you that. I'd recommend backing off to 1.5lbs a week or even 1lb to make it easier to adjust.

I'm right at 200lbs right now and I'd feel like I was starving trying to do 2lbs a week. I'm set for 1lb a week, but typically range a little over that. I've been sticking with my calorie goal a lot better not feeling so deprived.
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    I started out at over 200 pounds, and set a weight loss rate of 1.5 pounds per week. That put me at appr 1200 calories per day. I found myself hungry and tired. I knew that was not sustainable. So I reduced my goal to 1 pound per week loss. I am finding this very doable. In my opinion, you should consider what will actually work for you in the real world instead of what looks good on paper.

• kshama2001
    Options
    So I had it at 1.5lbs a week because that doesn’t sound like a lot but I Changed it to 1lb and it went up to 1540 calories a day but do you all eat take bread away from you diet ?
    Unless you REALLY to be there, 1200 calories is going to be tough. If you picked 2lbs a week, that's likely why it gave you that. I'd recommend backing off to 1.5lbs a week or even 1lb to make it easier to adjust.

I started out at over 200 pounds, and set a weight loss rate of 1.5 pounds per week. That put me at appr 1200 calories per day. I found myself hungry and tired. I knew that was not sustainable. So I reduced my goal to 1 pound per week loss. I am finding this very doable. In my opinion, you should consider what will actually work for you in the real world instead of what looks good on paper.

Yeah, I started out with a weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds per week because I used to watch Biggest Loser and thought that was easily doable. I lasted less than a day on 1200 calories ;)

I personally eat less bread because I don't find it very filling and want to save the calories for something else. But if you find bread filling or just want to make it fit in your calorie budget by all means eat it.
  • qrcathey91
    Options
    I’ve heard that bread shouldn’t be eaten when losing weight so I was trying to see if I should eat it or just cut it out until I reach my goal weight

Yeah, I started out with a weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds per week because I used to watch Biggest Loser and thought that was easily doable. I lasted less than a day on 1200 calories ;)

I personally eat less bread because I don't find it very filling and want to save the calories for something else. But if you find bread filling or just want to make it fit in your calorie budget by all means eat it.

• qrcathey91
    Options
    The ladies that’s 200lbs, what’s your goal weight ? And what type of exercises do you do?
  • snemberton
    Options

I eat bread most every day. Usually two slices of whole grain wheat with ham and avocado in the mornings. I sometimes have a roll with dinner. I'm somewhat tall (5'8") so my calories are 1800 for the day, plus any I earn through exercise. I typically eat 2000-2100 each day. (I earn 250-400 calories a day from my workouts.) I'm forcing myself to be more active outside of exercise as well, even though I work a desk job.

Because I can still have a deficit and eat that much, I'm able to have things like pie, cake and ice cream (small portions). Breakfast and lunch are typically around 400 or so calories each, then dinner can be bigger and I still fit in snacks in moderation.

I have a friend with a low calorie range for herself because she's much shorter. She has to either eat less or move more to easily stay in her deficit.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    The ladies that’s 200lbs, what’s your goal weight ? And what type of exercises do you do?

Goal weights are dependent on height and frame size, so unless you are talking to people with similar stats, our goal weights aren't really relevant to you.

I lift weights, practice yoga, garden, swim, walk, and hike.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My only exercise is walking. And I walk slow - about 2.6 mph. I try to walk an hour 5 times a week. Oh, and I do a little resistance training with dumbbells.

As far as bread goes - I eat bread. I eat Nature's Own Lite which is 40 calories per slice. I like it with sugar free strawberry preserves (10 calories) with my breakfast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard that bread shouldn’t be eaten when losing weight so I was trying to see if I should eat it or just cut it out until I reach my goal weight

As long as it's fitting in your calories, you can eat bread as often as you want. I didn't eat bread daily when I was losing weight, but I usually had it 1-2 times a week. I know users who had it daily and still met their goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Eating bread or not doesn't really have anything to do with anything. Calories are overwhelmingly what matter for weight management. I personally don't eat a lot of bread because it's calorie dense and doesn't really fill me up...but I do usually have a sandwich once or twice per week and we grill burgers on the weekend and I eat that with a bun...bread on it's own I don't eat much of.
  • snemberton
    Options
    How tall you are is going to help determine your goal weight.

For me at 5'8", my first goal is 160lbs. After that, I'll be working to decide how much farther I should go. I'm guessing probably in the 145-150 range, but that all depends on how it goes with how I look then.

I have built up over for more than two months to this routine, so don't feel that you should jump right into something this level. I also designed my programs with the help of a personal trainer who knows my goals. I do 3 days a week of strength training for an hour each time. It's a circuit type workout with free weights and the rowing machine. I'm still mostly in the lighter weights (7-20lbs), but I'll move up as I'm ready. I do cardio on the off days, usually 4 days, but I'll sometimes do yoga instead on one of those days. Cardio is typically a combination of the elliptical and recumbent stationary bike for 40 minutes. If I feel I need to mix it up, I'll throw in some time on the stair climber, treadmill or rowing machine. But I rarely do more than 40 minutes. I do 20-30 minutes of stretching in the evenings while watching TV.
  • snemberton
    Options
    My only exercise is walking. And I walk slow - about 2.6 mph. I try to walk an hour 5 times a week. Oh, and I do a little resistance training with dumbbells.

As far as bread goes - I eat bread. I eat Nature's Own Lite which is 40 calories per slice. I like it with sugar free strawberry preserves (10 calories) with my breakfast.
    Wow, 40 calories a slice - here I am eating Arnolds 12 grain at 110 a slice! (Oh but I love the texture with the grains! So probably won't sacrifice those calories for something less caloric.)