Is it really CICO? Calories in, calories out?

Options
mjc8080
mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
Is any “diet” succesful soley based on cico? Whether low carb, keto, weight watchers, low fat, etc? Are all calories equal then? As long as you eat below your number allowed, you will lose weight?

Trying to get all my facts before I decided myfitness pal Or Atkins? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• mjc8080
    mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    r33neh9gsfr9.jpg

That basically sums up everything I need to know!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    Or perhaps read about a different take on it...

The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity: Beyond “Calories In, Calories Out”
    David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD1; Cara B. Ebbeling, PhD1

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2686146

But all that's saying is you can cut your calories however you would like. Which means CICO. :huh:

Pending definitive studies, the principles of a low-glycemic load diet offer a practical alternative to the conventional focus on dietary fat and calorie restriction.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of confusion in the world. Yesterday, I said nothing when I overheard a teenager and his mother speaking in the snack aisle. Teen didn't understand that "sugar" is "calories". Mom insisted "sugar" is "calories".

Well, yes. Sugar, as commonly understood, is a simple carbohydrate that is quickly digested and utilized as energy measured as calories. However, recent developments in food science have given us sugar alcohols, which are complex carbohydrates that are not digested and not utilized as energy, which is still measured as calories even if the scalar value is 0.

Just don't get lost in the weeds. Eat too much = get too fat.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes. For weight loss, cico is all it takes. For your individual health, a change in diet helps.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Yep. Use more calories than you take in. To lose weight that is all that is needed. It really is that simple.
  • adomingo426
    adomingo426 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have a question about my calories in and calories out. Here’s a little back story before I begin I’ve been yo-yo dieting for a few years now I get on kicks where I wanna lose weight then I crash. In middle school I had an eating disorder and basically stopped eating I’ve come out of that and am fine now. Now I am 21 5 feet tall and 138 pounds I am putting on weight like crazy and I’ve never been really
    Consistent with my diets and that’s probably because I eat around 500 calories a day and then crash. But when I try to eat more the scale ends up going up and through research this has lead me to believe I broke or damage my
    Metabolism having me need less than 1000 calories to lose weight. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know thank you !
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Barring medical disorders, CICO is the only way to lose weight.

Even with medical issues, CICO would work to cause weight loss, but the CO can be so low that matching it with CI is likely to leave you eating so little that it's difficult or impossible to get enough nutrients.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Lost, bulked, cut, bulked, cut, maintained all by manipulating my calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!