Surgery and weight loss

Options
I've just started trying to lose weight a few weeks ago by logging my food and working out, running and strength training, but instead of losing weight I've gained two pounds. I know this is probably water weight from staring something new but I had surgery today on my arm that will prevent me from being able to workout for the next two weeks. What can I do to still lose weight without being able to workout? Since the number on the scale has still been going up while I've been working out I'm afraid of what will happen now that I have to stop.

Replies

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You do not need to work out to lose weight - simply eat to the calorie goal MFP gave you. Use a food scale to be accurate.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If the weight is from starting new activity then it should go away if you stop. Exercise is not needed for weight loss, just a calorie deficit.

Frankly, I think people should eat at maintenance during illness or recovering from surgery. Your body gets stressed enough trying to heal and it needs energy to do it. I get that it's tough to do...been there...but it's a good thing to do for your body.

Edited for grammar/spelling.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    +1 for eating at maintenance.

This is also a good time to get the basics down pat like logging accurately and some of the basic concepts of weight loss. This thread has some useful links in it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Also, it's very common to add water weight during recovery from surgery (inflammation and the healing process), so don't let additional weight gains freak you out. And I second the advice to eat at maintenance, if not a little above, during recovery from surgery.