Food tracking problems

Options
mjrc2
mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
I am a from scratch/eyeball cook and I never really use recipes. I cook for just me and honestly, I eat some weird stuff. I just bought a food scale so that food tracking would be easier... Is there a way to just type in everything, hit enter once and be done??? For example, I just made a quick pasta/veggie/sardine one serving meal. I used 45 g of regular white pasta, 35 g of carrot, 5 g of garlic, 80 g of red cabbage, 80 g of sardines, one teas. of tamarind concentrate, theres more, but you get the idea...you get the idea. There has got to be a fast way to enter this stuff into my food tracker!!! I tried to enter in the "recipe" section, but it still led me to the super clunky food search function. HELP!

Replies

• mjrc2
    Options
    Seriously folks, it took me longer to type in my dinner than it did to cook the darned thing. THere's got to be a faster way-or maybe a better site that I do not know about!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i set up recipes then log 1 serving
  • wolvertontraci4095
    wolvertontraci4095 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. I chose this app thinking it would simplfy tracking everthing I eat and support my goal.
    It has been way to confussing and time consumming.
    very dissappointed! looking for another App or website?
  • mjrc2
    Options
    There was a great website (free) by the USDA, it even tracked how much from each food group, but it shut down June 30th of this year. If I find a more efficient one, I will be sure to share!
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    i set up recipes then log 1 serving

I do the same. OP - Once you enter the recipe it is saved so you don't have to go through that long process again.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The bar code scanner on the phone app can also be a time saver.
  • Laces918
    Laces918 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat something out of the frozen section... jk jk
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I cook meals from scratch using lots of ingredients and dont find it time consuming - I eat a lot of the same ingredients regularly so it's not hard to find them on my list. Once you've been doing it a while you should have a decent list of foods and not have to search for new entries a lot.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are frustrated currently, but the members above have posted good advice to lessen your laundry list of individual items to record.

There's no easy button in life and occasionally apps too! Just remember, with most things, it takes time and effort to start up and get going, but once you've gotten into the routine of doing things - they become easier over time and even second nature. Don't give up on the app just yet, even though it may be frustrating to begin with.

The time will be worth the reward in the long run. :) Good luck!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Once I got going it was not bad at all, and I am also a cook at home person. Under Food, check out My Foods (add an ingredient not in the database), My Meals (put together standard combinations you use all the time), and Recipes (which will let you enter each recipe manually or even import one from a URL). And when you use the Food Diary, things you eat all the time show up there. Most people only eat about 20 or fewer fairly standard meals, so this gets easier and easier over time.
  • savkey
    savkey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do I see my previous days food logs? Thanks
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    For some recipes that I only do occasionally I don't use the recipe builder. Say I make a rice dish. I know I'll be using 100gr pork mince (it's already portioned and put into freezer). So I log 100gr of this type of mince. I know I need about 5gr of cooking oil, and that the veggies and sauces I'll use will be about 120kcal.

If my dinner will be between 500-600kcal then I now know how much rice I can cook. I measure it and put in cooker. Then prepare the vegetables, weigh them when cut, log and put into wok.

While they are cooking I prepare for example garlic, spring onion and sensame seed and log. Take veggies out of wok when ready and put mince, garlic, spring onion and sesame seed into wok and cook until crispy. Then add soy sauce and something fermented, and I usually end up at the calories I wanted.

Thing is: once I have the protein logged and know how much starch to use the cooking doesn't really take that much more time. It's just a few seconds from chopping board to scale (and log) and to pan. As I often use the same veggies they come up on the app first, thus after verifying them once I can quickly log them.
  • Loopygigglelips1968
    Loopygigglelips1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do all my cooking from scratch, through the week it's just me at home so I add the recipes as I'm eating rather than as I'm cooking - takes the boredom of eating alone away a bit
  • mjrc2
    Options
    Some things that make logging easier:

- Typing in all ingredients in one list: use the recipe function and pick "add recipe manually". You still have to make sure ingredients are matching correctly, but you'll need to do less manual searching. Make sure to set the number of servings to 1.
    I tried that and it did not work.
    I'm sorry you are frustrated currently, but the members above have posted good advice to lessen your laundry list of individual items to record.

There's no easy button in life and occasionally apps too! Just remember, with most things, it takes time and effort to start up and get going, but once you've gotten into the routine of doing things - they become easier over time and even second nature. Don't give up on the app just yet, even though it may be frustrating to begin with.

While I completely understand what you're saying RnnerGrl, I work full time, attend school full time, and I live alone--everything that gets done has to be done by me. I like most of the features on this site, but if I find something more efficient, I would rather go that route. The USDA app worked and was efficient, so I know it's possible.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Is the recipe function not working for you? Here is how it works using the web version
    pepcgpmndbni.png

c571padvo2y2.png

04vfl6hhylv1.png
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mjrc2 wrote: »
    Some things that make logging easier:

- Typing in all ingredients in one list: use the recipe function and pick "add recipe manually". You still have to make sure ingredients are matching correctly, but you'll need to do less manual searching. Make sure to set the number of servings to 1.
    I tried that and it did not work.

While I completely understand what you're saying RnnerGrl, I work full time, attend school full time, and I live alone--everything that gets done has to be done by me. I like most of the features on this site, but if I find something more efficient, I would rather go that route. The USDA app worked and was efficient, so I know it's possible.

All fair points made. I'm sorry I am unable to help provide a solution to aid you in your quest for a more efficient way to log your food, but I certainly hope there is one out there for you! Obviously, we all want more efficient ways of doing things; time savers are huge when it seems there aren't enough hours in the day with all the crazy!

• mjrc2
    Options
    Thanks @amusedmonkey, I will certainly try it again tonight. Maybe I just didn't scroll down?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    probably wouldn't even build a recipe for a one serving thing - i would just log the ingredients in my dinner section (this is what i do when i'm just making a one serving meal)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just quit cooking every day. I meal prep two entrees and a snack on Sundays that cover my daytime meals for the week. Dinner is either out or I have a protein shake or some cereal or something. Having to only cook and track one day a week has been SO incredibly good for managing my weight AND my temper--I don't hate having to come home anymore!