What motivates you when you feel like giving up?

Options
Whenever I feel that I want to buy that candy bar, cookie, or ice cream and eat it all I think about how unhealthy that would be and how tired it would make me feel so i don't buy it. Whenever I don't want to go to the gym, i remember how refreshing it feels when you're done and how confident you feel the next day. Whenever I want to leave early from the gym, i remember how every minute counts to get that body I so desperately want. Little things matter. I am more inclined to do better if i have a friend or family member by my side motivating me. We get toned together and prepare for a beach day and it is actually really fun! What keeps you from giving up? Who or what motivates you?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed a chocolate bar today after an 8 mile run. It fit in my calories & macros? Why is that unhealthy?

It's not unhealthy, it just messes up my calorie intake for the day because of how much sugar, salt, and carbohydrates it contains. For example, a hershey's bar has around 17 grams of sugar and that is 1/3 of my sugar intake for the day. Instead, I spend those grams eating 3x of fruits and i feel more fulfilled and satisfied.

I don't track sugar, problem solved.
  • KPReady2renew
    KPReady2renew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a picture of myself from then, it motivates me like nothing else. I don't ever want to go back.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't have much motivation most days, other than wanting to age well. I rely on discipline.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Guilt. I rarely miss going to the gym - just a few days here and there and primarily only because of travel obligations or illness. I won't go if I'm sick out of courtesy to the other patrons (I'm getting a cold so no gym today) but I always feel incredibly guilty and when I look in the mirror my mind tells me I'm shrinking.

The same happens when I'm in a cutting phase (dieting). I never have cheat days because the guilt I feel isn't worth it and every "cheat" means that I'm just that much longer into the cut and that much longer before I can start growing again.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I look at the progress I've made and how much further I want to go. There are some days where I'm not feeling it.. that's ok.. I'm in no rush. For me it's about progress over time vs perfection.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest, I was dealing with an obesity-related complication (issues with lower body circulation, now under control but not reversible). When I feel like giving up, I remind myself how far I've come and what the likely consequences will be of gaining back the weight.

Plus, I see strength gains from working out with dumbbells. I see how my walking speed has increased. I'm training for a 5K and I have one session per week with a running group (plus two more as "homework" to be done before the next group session) and I'm finding myself consistently leading the pack. Part of that is a pacing issue; I have to keep reminding myself not to go all out/treat it like a sprint. But I still finish at the head of the pack; just a bit more winded than I want to be. Some days, I don't want to strength train, but if nothing else, there's that moment of relief when it's over. Other days, I'm gung-ho and love it; I'm just mentioning the times when I need to push on through the mental block. Once I'm doing it, it goes great.

That being said, I make room for treats within my calories and don't sweat it if I don't hit/overshoot certain macros or micros.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure monitor.