Options
2»

Replies

• gsnapmccool
    gsnapmccool Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat Johnsonville breakfast sausage from time to time...it's like 13 grams of fat per serving. What are your fat targets that one serving of sausage is destroying your fat targets?

My fat target is 55g but one sausage patty is 20g. In my mind, that destroys my target because how am I supposed to only get 35g of fat in the entire rest of the day when one little sausage patty is 20g...does that make sense? It just seems like such an unattainable goal.

Look at your fat goal (along with protein and fiber) as a minimum. Or you can change your macros to add more to your fat goal.

A minimum seems much more logical for it to be that low.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I eat Johnsonville breakfast sausage from time to time...it's like 13 grams of fat per serving. What are your fat targets that one serving of sausage is destroying your fat targets?

My fat target is 55g but one sausage patty is 20g. In my mind, that destroys my target because how am I supposed to only get 35g of fat in the entire rest of the day when one little sausage patty is 20g...does that make sense? It just seems like such an unattainable goal.

It depends what else you eat. Do you eat a lot of fat-heavy foods? I actually struggle to hit the MFP default fat goal, I just naturally eat lower fat. A sausage is one of the few fat-forward things I eat.

Track for a few days and see what happens, that's the beauty of consistent logging :smiley: . And it's no big deal really if you go over on fat, unless you have a medical condition and a doctor has advised otherwise.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

what kind of sausage patty is that? is that what the label says or what MFP says? (since there are wrong entries on the site)

It’s a Great Value sausage patty. That’s what the label says. I even scanned the barcode.

Yeah, I've seen that one as well and it is 20g. There are many other choices with lower grams of fat. Like a user above, I use Johnsonville and it's 10 grams of fat per patty. Just shop around and see what others they have or go over on fat. It's not an issue unless it's putting you over on calories or crowding out protein.

*as a side note, scanning the bar code still only pulls up user-created entries so you still need to double check the information. Sometimes it pulls up a different product altogether.
  • gsnapmccool
    gsnapmccool Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

what kind of sausage patty is that? is that what the label says or what MFP says? (since there are wrong entries on the site)

It’s a Great Value sausage patty. That’s what the label says. I even scanned the barcode.

Yeah, I've seen that one as well and it is 20g. There are many other choices with lower grams of fat. Like a user above, I use Johnsonville and it's 10 grams of fat per patty. Just shop around and see what others they have or go over on fat. It's not an issue unless it's putting you over on calories or crowding out protein.

*as a side note, scanning the bar code still only pulls up user-created entries so you still need to double check the information. Sometimes it pulls up a different product altogether.

That is good to know! I think I noticed the other day that for a Bumblebee Tuna Snack on the Go, the crackers weren’t accounted for, so I added those to my entry for the day o:
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sausage is really just spices, salt, and preservatives. You could really just pick any ground meat, add lots of pepper, hot pepper flakes, (if you want spicy sausage) lots of salt, some crushed fennel seeds and anything else you like. Its cheaper and not full of excess preservatives to extend shelf life.