How do I log fitness with my job?

Options
My job as a grocery delivery driver is quite strenuous. Lots of lifting, bending, twisting, walking, stairs, etc. Lots of sweating. How can I count that as exercise?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bump up your activity level.

Logging everyday tasks as exercise can lead to double counting.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You don't. It's in your activity level.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing-I do heavy lifting at work on certain days, so should I just edit my activity level on those days and switch back on normal light activity days?
  • dianne_demars
    dianne_demars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay so I actually tested out this idea the last 2 weeks. I have been curious if I could keep my activity level at moderate and then just add in the 3 hour long burst of strenuous tasks such as "costco with 2 kids" or "heavy yard work" I used the logging option of "heavy house cleaning" and " yard work" I was using honest time approximations of what "exercise" I was doing.. but.... I gained 9 pounds in 2 week! 9 pounds!!! from my "aerobic house cleaning" thus I have learned... don't trust those calorie aproximations bump up your activity level by all means but leave the activity logging alone. Especially if you are like me and are only shooting for .5 lbs a week. I could see there being a little more room for error if you were at the 2lbs per week mode. However, It really is totally variable unless you have an actual fit bit or are using apple health or something to actually approximate how many calories you burned it is really a total variable and I don't trust it at all now that I have actually used this feature.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Okay so I actually tested out this idea the last 2 weeks. I have been curious if I could keep my activity level at moderate and then just add in the 3 hour long burst of strenuous tasks such as "costco with 2 kids" or "heavy yard work" I used the logging option of "heavy house cleaning" and " yard work" I was using honest time approximations of what "exercise" I was doing.. but.... I gained 9 pounds in 2 week! 9 pounds!!! from my "aerobic house cleaning" thus I have learned... don't trust those calorie aproximations bump up your activity level by all means but leave the activity logging alone. Especially if you are like me and are only shooting for .5 lbs a week. I could see there being a little more room for error if you were at the 2lbs per week mode. However, It really is totally variable unless you have an actual fit bit or are using apple health or something to actually approximate how many calories you burned it is really a total variable and I don't trust it at all now that I have actually used this feature.

Probably not 9lbs of fat over 2 weeks, that would be a ridiculous number of extra calories to eat. That being said, I have gone to Costco many times and would certainly not consider that strenuous. It's part of your daily activity levels, not intentional exercise.
  • Sandie020
    Sandie020 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i always wear my fit bit at work as I have a very active job then add the calories burnt to my exercise list as cleaning as well as adding my calories lost for that day from my workout at the gym, Having said that I do not eat the extra calories I am allowed as this would be pointless so stick within my daily food allowance calories :smiley:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sandie020 wrote: »
    i always wear my fit bit at work as I have a very active job then add the calories burnt to my exercise list as cleaning as well as adding my calories lost for that day from my workout at the gym, Having said that I do not eat the extra calories I am allowed as this would be pointless so stick within my daily food allowance calories :smiley:

It isn't pointless, it's how MFP is set up. You're already at a deficit, so by not eating your Fitbit adjustment back you risk problems that can come from having too high of a deficit.