Supersets

Options
What's the goal: strength building or fat-burning? Or something else. I did 3 sets of these following a workout video for upper body. I used the weight I would normally use during my lifting sessions and wow--too much. On one exercise I couldn't do all of the reps. So I should aim for all of the reps at a lower weight, yes? Slower or faster pace? What's the difference? My goal is fat loss. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What's the goal: strength building or fat-burning? Or something else. I did 3 sets of these following a workout video for upper body. I used the weight I would normally use during my lifting sessions and wow--too much. On one exercise I couldn't do all of the reps. So I should aim for all of the reps at a lower weight, yes? Slower or faster pace? What's the difference? My goal is fat loss. Thanks in advance.

Mostly to save time... at least true supersets that work antagonist muscles. Some people think that it's also beneficial for hypertrophy work. They are not great if your primary goal is strength/power. You do need the rest and recovery between sets when lifting heavy and on the big compounds, imo. I do superset my isolation lifts more than occasionally when I'm working biceps and tri's on the cable machine.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like to use supersets for abs and glute activation exercises. Ie. Bench superset with mountain climbers, squat superset with band kickbacks. Unless your doing the two exercises with the same equipment or one bodyweight movement, don't hog more than one piece of equipment for supersets. I would say for fat loss, getting your heart rate up between sets by superstring with something like jumping jacks or squat jumps or step ups might be beneficial.

Also.. antagonistic: means two opposing body parts (ie hamstrings and quads, etc.)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Efficiency & intensity; save on time, keep heart rate elevated over a longer duration of time. Help burn slightly more kcals keeping HR up (marginal for weight lifting vs. cardio in terms of sheer kcals burnt). More reps/more sets in a shorter duration of time = greater intensity (can be used to assess progressive overload).

Takes a bit of thought & strategizing to go about wisely; agreed antagonist muscle groups are great to pair. Going balls to the wall (i.e. squats supersetted with hack squats) is going to compromise performance. Some fatloss techniques with superset include supersetting compound lifts (bench press <-> squat, OHP <-> deadlift, etc.) for a more total body workout (trying to superset a variety of muscle group movements, still pretty tough/demanding).
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all very helpful.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I thought the goal was just to save time.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Try them with compound exercises, like supersetting squats and pullups. Keeps your heart rate up over 140 the whole time if fat loss while making gains is your goal.

No. If you're doing heavy weighted squats. You should not do a pre exhaustion movement. Especially for a main stabilizer such as the lats. "Hey, let's pre fatigue a major stabilizer before loading my back with significant weight and then drop followed by trying to stand back up." That's setting someone up to get hurt.

Also.. what does having your heart rate above 140 have to do with fat loss?

Also. Losing fat and gaining significant muscle simultaneously. Doesn't work that way.

It's like "why wont my gas gauge go up the more I rev my engine"

Yeah, heavy compound ANYTHING superset with another compound movement is just setting yourself up for failure. Moderate-High reps (10-15), light weight compounded supersets is quite doable on the other hand (given not doing movements with ridiculous overlap...benchpress <-> OHP, hacksquat <-> back squat)
  • MadGainzBruh
    MadGainzBruh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Try them with compound exercises, like supersetting squats and pullups. Keeps your heart rate up over 140 the whole time if fat loss while making gains is your goal.

No. If you're doing heavy weighted squats. You should not do a pre exhaustion movement. Especially for a main stabilizer such as the lats. "Hey, let's pre fatigue a major stabilizer before loading my back with significant weight and then drop followed by trying to stand back up." That's setting someone up to get hurt.

Also.. what does having your heart rate above 140 have to do with fat loss?

Also. Losing fat and gaining significant muscle simultaneously. Doesn't work that way.

It's like "why wont my gas gauge go up the more I rev my engine"

Wasn't suggesting "heavy." I should have specified.

140+ heart rate (generally for 20min+) will increase cardio vascular endurance and thus, fat burning, as was poster's goal, hence, the compound movements. Obviously this would be Ill advised for a 300lb bodybuilder, but should be fine for the vast majority of non-professional workout enthusiasts.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I thought the goal was just to save time.

yeah. I superset because my time in the morning before work is way too valuable to stand there staring at gym equipment for 3 minutes per set. I normally do leg/pull/abs (3x); push/glutes/glute accessory (3x); arm iso (1 set only).
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just like that it gives me a good burn much more quickly.
  • thaichilies
    thaichilies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looking for muscle gainer friends to add as well!