Easy Pear Recipes Please 🍐 🍐 🍐

NunyaWest
NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
I have a bunch of pears from a tree in the yard but I don’t know what to make with them. Some internet recipes look interesting but I fear hidden complexity..(they make cooking look so easy) ... so if anyone has any suggestions please post.

Replies

• layanqui
    layanqui Posts: 13 Member
    You can make pearsauce (like applesauce but with pears!). Follow this recipe, substituting pears for apples.

Sliced pears are good in salads like this one.

You could also try this grilled cheese with sliced pears on it. Yum!

If you eat oatmeal, you can chop them up and add them to it with some cinnamon and nuts. Happy cooking!
  • NunyaWest
    Cinnamon and nuts with the pears in some oatmeal sounds exciting. Thanks @layanqui
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    At one time I had a juicer, and I would make this drink often during the summer, it is GREAT.
    Juice of one pair, juice of one apple (mac), and juice of Β½ a lemon.

Try a Waldorf salad with pears instead of apples and yogurt instead of mayo.
    6 Tbsp plain/vanilla yogurt
    2 pears chopped
    1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half or 1/4 cup of raisins.
    1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
    1/2 cut mini marshmallows (optional)
    1 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Wine pears with gorgonzola

Serves 4 people
    4 pears
    200g gorgonzola (any aged/tasty cheese goes that melts well)
    2 cups red wine
    Water
    1 tbs honey
    Spices (whatever you like. From personal experience: bay leaves, pepper, nutmeg or rosemary work pretty well)
    Salt

Peel pears, slice in half and remove cores
    In a pan: bring the 2 cups red wine, 2 cups water and honey boil.
    Add the prepared pears.
    Cook the pear halves until just done (that point where they don't fall apart just yet)

Place cooked pear halves in an oven-safe dish, cut-side up. On each pear, add a slice of gorgonzola (about 25 g)

Pre-heat oven to 200Β°C (390Β°F?)
    Place tray in oven. In my oven, it takes about 10 minutes for the gorgonzola to start blubbering. The first time, just keep checking in 1 minute increments to know how long it'll take with your oven (I had to lower the time when I got a new oven as it was somehow more efficient than the 20 year old I had before).

Serve with your choice of a side (my dad loves a good pork chop with those. Me, I'm a pasta kinda girl. Mom prefers a lovely summer salad.)

Jared pears
    You can also preserve the pears in mason jars.

For example: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/preserved_pears/
    (she uses Bartlett pears, but pretty much all types of pears can be preserved using this or a similar method)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    I like slicing them in salads contrasted with a salty cheese such as crumbled gorgonola or feta or shavings of parmesan. You either have them raw or griddled.
  • acpgee
    In hot weather a salad of chilled cubed and peeled pears with a crumble of feta, a generous scatter of mint leaves, a squeeze of lemon, and a good grind of black pepper would be nice. Optional drizzle of olive oil.
  • acpgee
    Pear tarte tatin. (Upside down pie)

Peel and slice 3 pears. Have some store bought frozen puff pastry defrosted and on hand. Use a frying pan with a metal handle that can go in the oven, or use a screwdriver to remove a plastic handle. On the stove melt a tablespoon of butter and add two or three tablespoons of sugar. Put in the pears and stir them around in the sugar for a few minutes. Then cover the pears with puff pastry turning the pastry under around the edges of the pan. Cut several slits into the pastry so that steam can escape from the pears whiie the tart bakes. Bake according to instructions on the puff pastry packet. To serve put a large plate on top of the frying pan and quickly invert. Then lift off the pan.
  • NunyaWest
    Wow
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I make a pear and chicken one-pan dish. Chicken thighs with some seasoning, cut up pears into fourths, put all on a pan with some chopped red onion and cook in the oven. Everything comes out yummy and all the flavors mix together. That sandwich above looks divine too :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,126 Member
    What a fun problem to have! I made this recipe (used Cinnamon Pear Balsamic Vinegar) and it turned out so good both warm when first served and cold when I ate the leftovers. It's like having dessert for dinner!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252485/pear-quinoa-salad/
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Poach them (peeled, cored and sliced in half lengthwise) in some dry white wine, a little sugar, and your choice of spices (I like snapped cinnamon stick, ground ginger, black pepper, cardamom or allspice).

(I like to similarly poach the peels separately to make pear-flavored drink).
  • NunyaWest
    I make a pear and chicken one-pan dish. Chicken thighs with some seasoning, cut up pears into fourths, put all on a pan with some chopped red onion and cook in the oven.
    @amgreenwell are you saying basically just throw a few cut up pears in when we bake some chicken? Kind of like pineapple on ham?

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I make a pear and chicken one-pan dish. Chicken thighs with some seasoning, cut up pears into fourths, put all on a pan with some chopped red onion and cook in the oven.
    @amgreenwell are you saying basically just throw a few cut up pears in when we bake some chicken? Kind of like pineapple on ham?

Yes sir. My 76 year old dad was like, "wow! never would have thought of this"...as he ate like 1/2 the pan
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I make a salad with bibb lettuce, sliced pears, blue cheese, pecans and diced avocado. I make the dressing with EVOO, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, honey (or sugar), salt and pepper. Its so delicious!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas!!!!!
  • acpgee
    Replace cherries with roughly chopped pears in a clafoutis recipe, such as this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/aug/29/how-to-cook-perfect-cherry-clafoutis
  • NunyaWest
    What I ended up doing with all the pears is dicing them up and putting them in a sugar water solution in the refrigerator. I enjoyed eating them with my oatmeal in the morning. They lasted a few weeks.... much better than canned pears.