Beyond Meat?

Options
Anyone tried the "Bleeding" Veggie Burger?

Any reviews?

I'm just curious with the new partnership with Sysco and how it's now going to be distributed in schools and chain restaurants what the hype is all about.

Or if anyone has tried the slightly more upscale "Impossible Burger?"

I dunno. Food science is kind of strange, but totally awesome.

-M.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The Beyond Burger doesn't really "bleed," but it's the closest thing I've had to meat since going vegan. The texture and taste are really, really close to a regular hamburger.

I would love to try the Impossible Burger, but they aren't in my state yet.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love the Beyond Burger. I am not vegetarian but wanted to try it to reduce red meat in my diet. I thought it was really very good, but must be cooked properly and exactly as stated on the package.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The Beyond burger doesn't, as janejellyroll said, really bleed. It is really good and very close to meat.

I won't be able to eat Impossible Burgers (they have gluten and I have celiac disease), so I won't be doing any comparisons.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i've only tried the beast burger by them, and it's pretty good, i would love to try the beyond burger because it's the only thing that looks like it may be shaped and grill like a regular burger. most veggie burgers, including the beast, are just so thin and sad looking on a grill. and i've tried just about all of them. costco USED to have these amazing mushroom burgers that were awesome on a grill but i haven't seen them in years. anyone else remember those?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The Beyond Burger doesn't really "bleed," but it's the closest thing I've had to meat since going vegan. The texture and taste are really, really close to a regular hamburger.

Fun trivia fact: That red juice you see coming from burgers (and other meat) isn't blood at all. It's myoglobin, a combination of proteins and water.

I had no idea, thanks for sharing.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I love the Beyond Meat products. I have tried the burger which was very good, but I prefer the ground crumbles which I use regularly in place of ground beef for tacos and spaghetti sauce. Even my picky kids and husband love it.
  • mariahdoesthis
    mariahdoesthis Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Fun trivia fact: That red juice you see coming from burgers (and other meat) isn't blood at all. It's myoglobin, a combination of proteins and water.

Huh. Cool.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Yep.

I was scrolling through to check and see if someone had pointed out that fact.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I want to try one out in a restaurant before I buy it at home. Nobody around here is using them yet though, and grocery stores only recently started stocking the beast Burgers or monster burgers or whatever they're called.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I want to try one out in a restaurant before I buy it at home. Nobody around here is using them yet though, and grocery stores only recently started stocking the beast Burgers or monster burgers or whatever they're called.

Just to make sure you're aware the Beast Burger and the Beyond Burger are two different products. I like the Beast Burger, but it's not as realistic as the Beyond Burger.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine wanting my veggie burger to bleed.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can't imagine wanting my veggie burger to bleed.

It doesn't. And blasphemy, I cooked mine longer than they recommended. It came out fine. It's still tasty.

My husband is an omnivore, and he liked it too. He generally likes all the Beyond Meat products, thankfully. It makes cooking a lot easier sometimes. I can't eat the Beyond Chicken since I'm soy intolerant, but my daughter is veggie and she likes it. Thankfully, both my husband and son like it too.

I just cook that up for them and eat something else for myself on those nights (usually cottage cheese or protein ice cream!)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    A coworker mentioned a restaurant near us was offering the "impossible burger". We're thinking of setting up a blind taste test.
  • mullintj
    mullintj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Beyond Meat! The news about the Beyond Burger coming to TGI Fridays is awesome. I usually give Beyond Meat stuff to omnivores I need to impress.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try it, but it has 5 times the sodium as beef and I watch my sodium.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have never really cared much for the Beyond Meat products, but I've been dying to try the Beyond Burger. It is always sold out at the one grocery store that carries it in my town. I typically buy the Gardein grillers.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    A&W has one now. I tried it today and was disappointed (especially at $7 a piece). Not much different from a typical veggie burger. First and last.
  • ChelleTrell
    ChelleTrell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The Beyond Burger is my favorite veggie burger. I actually cook them a little longer than the package recommends.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The Beyond Burger is very, very close to meat in texture, which is where most veggie burgers fall short. The taste is, imo, not quite there, but in a bun with mustard, ketchup, pickles,, and onions, it's pretty hard to tell. If I wasn't told otherwise I would believe it was beef.

It actually irked me that I had to scrub my pan afterwards due to the "bleeding" effect. I've been spoiled by other veggie burgers that don't do that!