Plantar Fasciitis, but want love treadmill

Options
I thought my plantar fasciitis was gone, but after my one hour on the treadmill, including day 1 of c25k aggravated it so bad. Normally my heel and arch would only ache upon waking and last a few minutes. Not last night! I was hobbling, grabbing into furniture to move around my house (today it’s not so bad). I’m a heel striker when I run. I’m not comfortable using weights, but maybe would try kettlebells until my heel mends. I feel dumb trying weights at the gym because I’m clueless. Anyone else been through this? I heard rest, ice, and Advil are the only treatments. I’m angry because I have my motivation back and jogging/walking were my thing....it’s how I lost all the weight before. I loved running.

Replies

• jpcofone
    jpcofone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the website heelthatpain.com. They have some good products to help with plantar fasciitis. I had the same issue back in early May. I found I was able to do the elliptical machine, rowing machine, and stationary bikes with little to no pain. I would avoid lifting weights that require you to use your feet as a base of support. Last thing you want is mid lift have your foot go out on you. Stretching, ice, and a good anti-inflammatory are going to be your best friends over the next few weeks. Just take it slow even after you feel relief in your foot. No need to rush back into full speed runs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My husband has terrible foot pain and refuses to use our treadmill. He bought himself a rower. You should also check and make sure you do not need new shoes or inserts.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    How much time had you taken off before doing an hour on the treadmill? IMHO, that’s overdoing it for just having recovered from PF.
    Careful with heel striking. Oftentimes it means you’re overstriding, which can also lead to injury.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Usually the stretches etc mentioned above are enough to get rid of pf.

However my podiatrist mentioned there is a shot for extreme cases. I didn't end up needing it so can't vouch. But it might be worth a doctor's visit.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My PF didn’t go away until I focused on stretching my hamstrings and lower back.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have started walking, and noticed it when my walks started hitting the 2 mile mark, and I have been pushing to walk at 3.5 mph. Which for me has been pushing it. So I googled to see what could help.
    • I did try this and it has helped freeze a water bottle and roll it back and forth on bottom of foot from toes down to heel.
    • Sit on floor with your feet up against wall and stretch your toes toward you, so the bottom of your sole is being stretched. The suggestion was to do as a rep of 10, and do 4 times per day. I have started on this and am getting some relief.
    • And this has helped the most, using foam roller, work hamstrings and IT Band. Because most often the PF really comes about, because some other muscles are really tight, or not aligned correctly and before you know it. You end up with PF. This started up a week ago for me. And I have been doing all three plus taking advil when really bad and it seems to help some overall.
    • Good Luck
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Stop putting weight on your foot. I had PF nearly 20 years ago. I was able to stay off it for most of the day (not working at the time). Then it flared up again about 4 years ago. FF to a full time job, full time mom, etc. The BEST thing you can do is rest it. Then you need to do additional therapy like rolling it on a lacrosse or golf ball, heel raises, stretches, etc. I wore a boot to sleep in at night. I stopped running and started doing aqua fitness classes and swimming laps. Finally I ended up at the podiatrist for shots so that I could do a planned mountain climb with my family. That took care of it, but I have continued to do all of the therapy, and only run two days a week. Swimming is my new thing. PF doesn't go away on its own, and it will come back with very little encouragement. Read up on it and follow the advice.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Pain is the precursor to change. Time to change everything up and let your foot heal. I learned how to tape my own feet, did that for a year. Go to an ortho/podi.