Do You Feel Pressure

Do you feel pressure to eat foods from events but you are focusing on your weight loss goal.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    No. I stopped doing that around the time I discovered MFP. But I also stopped thinking that I can't eat what I want and manage weight at the same time.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Yes, but I need to remind myself that the only person putting pressure on me is myself.

I make sure I plan my day around the event (food wise), and if I go a little over, I try and balance it within my goals for the week.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Not so much events but eating at friends is tricky. They put in a lot of effort to cook, making huge portions and I just want a 'normal' portion.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    I will be visiting family and friends for 10 days later this month. Couple of things will be hard. First the comments, ohhh you're so skinny now... No, I'm just normal now, it seems people forget what normal used to look like.

Second is eating at family, friends. Again, I'm not in control and don't want to be rude lol. So I fill half my plate with veggies, a small portion of carbs and a normal protein portion. Makes it look like a full plate :-)

And I stick to no more than 2 snacks a day (which include alcohol). This balances out to 3 times 500 calories and 2 times 250 calories which is maintenance for me. Or so I hope.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    A little bit, in the sense that it requires more meticulous calorie planning than usual, but the food itself, no, it doesn't cause me pressure and I usually look forward to it. Pressure to eat, as in eating something I don't want to eat, no. I do my best to only eat the foods I really want. No sense in wasting calories if it doesn't taste great.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    No. I control what goes in my mouth, it's not other people in control and its definitely not food telling me to eat it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    No, people know I'm a grazer and don't eat a lot of food at any given time. So they know I don't serve myself a lot, which gives me the freedom to not overeat. But I guess, being in Europe makes things easier as huuuuuge portions are not really a thing here. On the other hand, such events are fairly rare for me anyway, thus even if I ate more on one day it would not matter.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Anna28518 wrote: »
    I will be visiting family and friends for 10 days later this month. Couple of things will be hard. First the comments, ohhh you're so skinny now... No, I'm just normal now, it seems people forget what normal used to look like.

Second is eating at family, friends. Again, I'm not in control and don't want to be rude lol. So I fill half my plate with veggies, a small portion of carbs and a normal protein portion. Makes it look like a full plate :-)

And I stick to no more than 2 snacks a day (which include alcohol). This balances out to 3 times 500 calories and 2 times 250 calories which is maintenance for me. Or so I hope.

I do this - and I eat very slowly so my plate is never empty while others plough their way through their servings. If you always having something on your plate, chatter away and finish last with a 'phew - I'm stuffed, that was delicious' and you are lucky, no one will notice you only ate a notmal portion. Nothing will irritate your hosts more than the message 'Goodness, I couldn't possible touch that - I'm watching my weight' - especially if they are a little on the large size.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Anna28518 wrote: »

I do this - and I eat very slowly so my plate is never empty while others plough their way through their servings. If you always having something on your plate, chatter away and finish last with a 'phew - I'm stuffed, that was delicious' and you are lucky, no one will notice you only ate a notmal portion. Nothing will irritate your hosts more than the message 'Goodness, I couldn't possible touch that - I'm watching my weight' - especially if they are a little on the large size.

"Not too much, I want to have room for everything" is a nice way to saying you like the food but want a small portion. This doesn't help if it's mostly one main dish like pasta and sauce. I always take care not to insult a host if I can avoid it - I don't eat mammals, but I have to be careful not to say it like that even though part of my reasoning is that they readily bond with humans and frolic/play. It's also about carbon, land and water footprint. But I say I have given up beef and pork to bring my cholesterol down; that's true, but I am trying to get LDL down to 100 from 110 and don't have heart trouble (which means 110 is actually okay).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yea sometimes.. I don't like people to know I am trying to lose so I usually indulge and try a bit of everything
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    No.
    I just make better choices, stick to (or less than) serving size, try to log as best I can and not worry about it.
    I have never had anyone comment on what I do, or don't, choose to eat at get togethers/functions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Not really. I haven't found other people to care much about my eating since I don't walk around saying I am on a diet or anything.
    I just take normal portions, eat and then don't go back for more.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I used to care in general more about what people thought about me, and assumed people were paying a lot more attention then they were to what I ate/didn't eat at social events. At a certain point I got comfortable owning who I was, and that person is "A woman who stays thin by watching what she eats really carefully." My friends all know this about me and love me anyway! :-) And if they didn't and were thinking, "Ugh, that chick is so neurotic! Eat a burrito already!" well, so what? That's their problem, not mine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    We get a lot of threads like this in the summer (and around the winter holidays) so I was thinking about this at a family gathering July 4. I got a big helping of salad and some chicken and the only one who noticed was my mother. I told her I was saving room for peach cobbler (which I was) and than was that.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I just plan around it. I'll have a light breakfast and lunch in order to save up enough Calories for the event.
    If I go over, it's no biggie. Life should be enjoyable and I won't deprive myself of treats. So I just chalk it up to a special day and get back on the horse the next day.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Do you feel pressure to eat foods from events but you are focusing on your weight loss goal.

I do me. If people are not okay with that, then too bad! It all depends on the situation and the context. If I am meeting colleagues for some event and they all know my story then I do not worry. Shoot - sometimes I even indulge and surprise the poop out of them. Other times, I just stick with my amazing food!

I am at the point in life where if you are not paying my rent, buying my clothes and putting food on my table....ask me how much I care about your opinion! :-) Stated a bit harshly, but you get the point. I have to wake up every morning (the good Lord willing) and look at myself in the mirror. Not anyone else....

The other way to look at things is - and this is likely more useful (than being a salty old man) - I tend to look at the week as the measuring unit (and not each day individually). So, if I know that there is some social event and I know that I am going to "indulge" then I can manage accordingly. I might enjoy fewer calories the day before and the day after (or, whatever might fit your plan).

I mean, shoot - we need to live! We need to enjoy life. I don't know about y'all, but I eat to fuel my body! That way I can do all of the fun and awesome things that I do. Having a six-pack is not going to change things for the better! Or, manke things worse! If some chick likes me because I have abs, well, great! And if that same chick does not like me because I do not....well, HA! I almost said it. Y'all know my reply! Kinda sorta in the "get lost" category!

If something comes uip unexpectedly, then do whatever your initial reaction is. If you hesitate - there you go. Don't do it. Otherwise, enjoy!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My mother has a bad habit of being insulted by just about anything. As such if she cooks something she watches me like a hawk to see if there is a reason to go into martyr mode. Over time this has resulted in the opposite behavior from me and now I absolutely hate eating at events/gatherings if I even think someone is paying attention. I will get a very small portion and dispatch it pretty quickly. This has nothing to do with gaining or losing since I was doing this while gaining too.
  • Nightstar76
    Nightstar76 Posts: 48 Member
    I do when i am out with friends too. Its difficult sometimes but I am hoping it gets better for both of us.