2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My BMR thing is

Your estimated BMR is: 2,031 calories/day*

but I don't even know what that means.
    Here are some great resources on Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) or the amount of calories you would burn if you slept for 24 hours.

Some foods to consider: Protein Bar, Protein Shake (with milk), avocado, peanuts, more meats like chicken/turkey/steak. Try to get 30 g's of protein and complex carbs with each meal. This really works the metabolism and pushes for your body to stay fuller longer and have more energy.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • MICHELE0816
    Options
    I love wasabi almonds!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the calories you need to eat to survive.

Not really... you BMR is the amount of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT if you did nothing but rested and slept all day.

It does NOT include the calories you burn for your activities of daily living.
    It also does NOT include the deficit you need to lose weight.

Example:
    My start weight was 175 lbs -- My BMR was 1443 cal
    To maintain 175 lbs -- If I was sedentary 1790 cal would maintain my weight including what ever I burned during the course of my daily activities (1940 cal for lightly active, 2080 cal for active, 2230 cal for very active)

the MFP lose 1 lb per week setting takes away 500 cal from the calories I use for my daily activities 1790cal - 500cal = 1290cal

Obviously, I survived on less that 1443 calories.
    Every time I lost a pound MFP took away 10 calories. But MFP won't go below 1200 so that you get your proper nutrition, So when I my lose 1 lb a week calorie target was 1200 and stop moving I switched to lose 1/2 lb a week.

Good Luck
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I agree that the BMR isnt what I need to eat,
    because eating 2000 calories a day, is NOT going to get me on a weight loss track.
    I want to lose weight, not stay my current weight.

Im going to try adding a snack here or there.

and no, I am not starving myself, nor am I feeling hungry.

I feel that by eating what I do in a day, theres no link to starving myself at all.

I just dont need HUGE portions or meals to fill me up,
    and eating when your not hungry, and eating big portion is what got me here in the first place.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Look into the Diet Solution Plan. It sets you up.

For instance..based on their little test I am a protein type. And based on what I burn daily, I know I need to eat about 1600 calories daily. So then I just go to their little chart, look up the 1600 cal ratios for my metabolism type, and it tells me how many units of protein, carbs and fat I need at each meal/snack.

The real "secret" is to eat every 3 hours or so, and to plan. Then you'll find that you'll hit your calorie goals. After a few weeks of doing this, you won't have to "plan" because your body will tell you when it's time to eat and you'll have your ratios memorized.

God bless!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that one of my favorite snacks is apple slices coated with 2 tablespoons of raw almond butter. That right there is about 250 calories, and gives you 2 units of proteins to 1 unit of healthy carb. It's a snack that will stay with you without making you feel heavy or like you have over eaten.

God bless!
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! Add fruit and/or granola. High in protein (good) and yummy!
  • LoseItJourney
    Options
    Your BMR, also known as your Basal Metabolic Rate, is the number of calories your body burns in a single day from performing basic functions like breathing and pumping blood. Think of it as the calories you would burn if you sat on the couch all day. This is the number of calories your body needs to function.

When you create a deficit your body will turn to the in your fat stores to function properly -- burning those unwanted pounds away.

In order to lose one pound of fat, you need to create a caloric deficit of 3,500 calories. This means you need a deficit of around 500 calories per day in order to lose one pound per week.

How to Create a Calorie Deficit

Change your diet and eat fewer calories than you burn each day. If you eat 500 fewer calories than your BMR each day for a week, you'll lose about one pound of fat.

Introducing physical activity and burning more calories than you consume. If you eat enough calories to support your BMR, but exercise more, you'll create a caloric deficit simply by burning extra calories.

A combination of eating fewer calories and exercising to burn more calories. If you cut just 200 calories a day from your diet and burned just 300 extra calories a day by exercising, you'd lose about one pound per week.

A combination of diet and exercise is the easiest way to lose weight because it requires only small tweaks to your lifestyle.

That is taken right from that website liink.
    BMR is how many calories I naturally burn on average a day.
    I want to eat LESS than that, or else I wont lose any weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMR is what you burn if you stay in bed all day. As soon as you get up and start moving you are burning more than your BMR. You need to factor in your activity level and get your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure.) If you are sedentary (desk job, not highly active) then your TDEE (or maintenance calories) is 2437 (based on the BMR you posted earlier in the thread.) To lose weight, you create a deficit from there. 500 calorie deficit for 1 pound a week (1937 calories a day) or 1000 calories a day for 2 pounds a week (1437 calories a day.)

Then if you exercise on top of that, you have to add those calories in as well, as exercise calories aren't factored into your TDEE.

Also, if you're lightly active (on your feet all day,) your TDEE goes up to 2793, and the rest of the numbers adjust from there.

One of the problems I've seen that people tend to do, is when they try to cut calories, they eliminate every high calorie food from their diet, and then wonder why they don't eat enough calories, when they eat nothing but 0 calorie foods. Make sure to mix in higher calorie foods in your diet.

I don't get why so many people are restricting themselves to 1200 calories, when the majority of people should be eating much more.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    One of the problems I've seen that people tend to do, is when they try to cut calories, they eliminate every high calorie food from their diet, and then wonder why they don't eat enough calories, when they eat nothing but 0 calorie foods. Make sure to mix in higher calorie foods in your diet.

I don't get why so many people are restricting themselves to 1200 calories, when the majority of people should be eating much more.
    I agree! You need to eat more calories so you can actually lose weight. Sounds weird but it's true.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BMR is what you burn if you stay in bed all day. As soon as you get up and start moving you are burning more than your BMR. You need to factor in your activity level and get your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure.) If you are sedentary (desk job, not highly active) then your TDEE (or maintenance calories) is 2437 (based on the BMR you posted earlier in the thread.) To lose weight, you create a deficit from there. 500 calorie deficit for 1 pound a week (1937 calories a day) or 1000 calories a day for 2 pounds a week (1437 calories a day.)

Then if you exercise on top of that, you have to add those calories in as well, as exercise calories aren't factored into your TDEE.

Also, if you're lightly active (on your feet all day,) your TDEE goes up to 2793, and the rest of the numbers adjust from there.

I would like to add, the only way you shoudl really shoot for 2 lbs per week is if you are 50+ pounds over weight. 20-50 lbs, should be around 1 lb per week and less than 20 should be .5 pounds per week. This way, you reduce the chance of losing muscle.

I will note, it is easier to factor your exercise into your TDEE number and eat the same number every day, then just eat back the exercise calories. I have used that method with several MFP and myself with great success. Do me a favor and fill out the link below and post the chart results in here (don't worry, none of your stats will show; weight, height, age, etc..)

• LoseItJourney
    Options
    I eat 1200 as a goal, because I have a hard time eating more than that, so I know if I reach that Im eating enough and not badly undereating.

I have over 140 pounds to lose, so Im sure that 2-3 pounds a week is not a bad goal to lose for me right now.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I eat 1200 as a goal, because I have a hard time eating more than that, so I know if I reach that Im eating enough and not badly undereating.

I have over 140 pounds to lose, so Im sure that 2-3 pounds a week is not a bad goal to lose for me right now.

Well it is a little more acceptable for you to set your goal weight to lose 2 lbs per week, but even with that, 1200 calories is not nearly enough calories. Using the below link, if you don't exercise at all, then you should be eating around 1800 calories. And considering you are at least lightly active, you should be more like 2100 calories. Keep in mind, you are young and young people have a lot higher metabolisms than a person who is 30 or 40 so you need to feed yourself more to fuel the fire.

If you have a problem training your body to eat more, than you have to eat higher calorie foods.. Look to get a higher calorie protein shake (like muscle milk), some protein bars, peanuts, peanut butter, avocado, etc... It is critical that during your weight loss journal, that you don't lose a lot of muscle. If you lose the muscle, your metabolism slows down which burns less calories. If you realy want to stimulate fat loss and weight loss, look into a workout program like chalean extreme, turbo fire, turbo jam, p90x. All of these programs really push muscle growth, and burn fat.

I used your starting weight of 275
    GW: 140

And below is what you need to safely lose weight.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1834
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2101
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2368
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2636
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2903

• LoseItJourney
    Options
    Thanks for trying to help.
    But thats not correct for me.
    Im actually now following my doctors special orders, and a nutritionists orders.
    becuase of my body frame and such, they know what I need.

and I don't need over 2000 a day.
    1200 is what they said to eat.
    so i need to follow their orders now.

and just becuase im 18 and 275 cant have a website say what you need.
    im also 5'6 , large body frame from being dutch...

but the websites never ask for those.

so I need a different amount that someone whos 18, 275, 5'4 and small body frame.

This is why I don't trust websites for calorie intake.
    I use them for calculators and information, but never intake. I asked my doctor.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Trail mix, olive oil, hummus.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Im actually now following my doctors special orders, and a nutritionists orders.

so I need a different amount that someone whos 18, 275, 5'4 and small body frame.

I use them for calculators and information, but never intake. I asked my doctor.

If you're taller and have a large frame you should be eating MORE than someone with a smaller frame. Here's the problem with just going by a doctor, they generally have a chart that goes off BMI and toss out random numbers from there. The problem with that is BMI is not accurate for individuals. It's not usually personalized (unless your doctor did BMR & RMR testing, then it might be more accurate.) MY wife is 5'3 and 185 and she is losing about 1.5 pounds a week eating 1600 calories. I'm a 5'7, 225 pound male, losing 2 pounds a week eating about 2000 calories a day. 1200 just doesn't sound like enough at all for your size, especially if you're at all active.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I will ask you, did your nutritionist or your doctor measure your body fat (with calipers)? If not, how will the know what your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is? Did they evaluate your lifestyle (work outs and general daily exercise)? If not, how can they provide you an accurate depiction of how many calories you burn per day to be able to create a good deficit?

If you're taller and have a large frame you should be eating MORE than someone with a smaller frame. Here's the problem with just going by a doctor, they generally have a chart that goes off BMI and toss out random numbers from there. The problem with that is BMI is not accurate for individuals. It's not usually personalized (unless your doctor did BMR & RMR testing, then it might be more accurate.) MY wife is 5'3 and 185 and she is losing about 1.5 pounds a week eating 1600 calories. I'm a 5'7, 225 pound male, losing 2 pounds a week eating about 2000 calories a day. 1200 just doesn't sound like enough at all for your size, especially if you're at all active.

I completely agree.

I am not saying I am smarter than your doctor or your nutritionist, but why would you start a thread asking for advice and then just shut out anything that doesn't coorespond to what they say. In my opinion, I would go back and ask them how they came up with those numbers or why 1200 is what you should be eating. Just do a look all over this forum, and you will see that every woman (large or small) that is at a plateau, figures out they are not eating enough. 1200 calories is a minimal amount of calories for a body to survive. Below is a link with some information for your consideration. It's great stuff.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html