Lying to friends and family about weighing myself

Options

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I guess you could work around responding without lying ;)

You are doing what you need to do for yourself and if and when you choose to have that conversation that is what you can share with them. During the process you did what you needed for your sake and well being, no apologies necessary.

All of us have had to figure out what processes work for us . . . by the way great job!!!!
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I feel uncomfortable if someone mentions weight loss because 1. It means they've been looking at my body 2. They noticed I was less fat and therefore they thought that I had needed to lose weight I'd think in modern society that people would have learned by now that that it's not cool to comment on someone's physical appearnance beyond a "you look nice" or something equally benign.
  • ChelleTrell
    ChelleTrell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No one asks me about how I’m doing with my weight loss so I don’t have this issue. I think you’re doing the right thing. If telling them when you weigh is going to derail your hard work then they don’t need to know.
  • Silhouette199
    Silhouette199 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I think you should do whatever works for you!!! It's not the type of lie that is hurting anybody. Keep up the good work!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't lie; they just don't know I'm trying. But I've got a great out. I cannot eat sugary stuff because I've got gout.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Lie to them....none of their da** business! It's your personal voyage and they have no ticket to jump on your ride! I give you permission to lie!
    Especially if it means you are doing it without the stress of others input! Good for you!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I lie. If someone asks me if I lost weight I say “I don’t think so.” And if someone asks how much I’ve lost I say “I have no idea.” I hate talking about my weight loss and those answers pretty much shut people up.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I fully understand why you are doing this. Some people mean well but make things so much harder. I personally would not lie but make it clear that my weight and calorie intake is a conversation that is off Imits. Aside from my doctor no one needs to know.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Based on what you posted, it makes perfect sense to lie about weighing. I get wanting to be vague with people. I have learned I don't do well under pressure at all- if I'm feeling really under pressure, I feel like I have to be 100% perfect and end up binging/falling off the wagon entirely when things aren't exactly perfect.

The big thing that people notice is when I go out to eat or to happy hour or something. Unless it's a big night out I don't like to waste calories on alcohol, so if I'm counting I typically have diet coke instead which people notice right away. They also notice that I've switched to ordering the lighter stuff on the menu. I try to brush it off with, "Oh no, I'm not on a diet, just trying to not completely stuff my face." Like a pp mentioned, if people know I'm "dieting" and I've worked a higher calorie treat into my day/week I hate having to deal with the, "You can't have that can you?"
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Based on what you posted, it makes perfect sense to lie about weighing.
    That is EXACTLY what I was going to say. Looked at the thread title, and thought, "Hmmm, not sure I agree about lying", but then read the circumstances, and I think OP is completely right.

Not a fan of lying, about anything, and wondered if you could say, "I am weighing, I just don't want to tell anyone" but then I can see going down that route could just open yourself up to more judgement, criticism, advice whatever.

Keep up the good work OP!

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's nice if you are dealing with sane, rational people that behave in a mature manner. But, not everyone has that luxury.
    There are some people, that no matter how evasive your answer, will keep pushing, pushing. If you say, "Why do you ask" or, "That is a very personal question" or try to move the conversation in another direction, or try to deflect them with compliments or questions about themselves, will NEVER take the hint, and just keep verbally pushing you into a corner.
    Whether they are well meaning or toxic, the results are the same. They make you feel hunted and/or stressed, and if your journey is already on shaky ground...
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Society would fall apart if people didn't lie. Imagine if everyone told the truth all the time! Nobody would like each other. So I think lying about what's no-one else's business anyway is just fine. Doesn't hurt anyone. Its all about the context.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That’s way too much attention. Absolutely, I’d do the same and maybe give them a frank discussion about backing off and how their scrutiny makes your progress more difficult.

I had a long conversation with my mom about getting a scale in the first place (she was worried it would negatively impact my mental health, because of her dieting experiences), but I don’t tell her I weigh daily (or almost daily).

When I go into the washroom to weigh myself I turn the fan on and it just looks like I’m using the washroom normally. Definitely lying by omission there. I think it’s warranted.

We only talk about my weight loss in terms of how I look/clothes fit etc. When I dropped a size I brought up how much I’ve lost, but otherwise we don’t discuss it. And that’s Enough! I think we’ve had total 5 conversations about what I look like, that she’s proud of me, etc. and I could have done with less.

This is such an awkward topic and to be scrutinized that closely is so....inappropriate. Moms will be moms, but sometimes setting ground rules is important. And if they don’t listen, and this helps, I’d definitely stick with it. Frankly it’s just not their business!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    A few mental steps I took when I started making positive changes in my life:

1. I stopped saying things that are untrue or made me weak.
    2. I removed negative people from my life. Family we are stuck with, but I limit interactions with negative people and I became very vocal in confronting negative behavior.

Passive aggressive people thrive on silence and the politeness of others - they whither and die in sunlight. Not only is there no need to tolerate this, it is intolerable to accept this behavior.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm usually against lying, but if I were in your shoes, I would seriously lie my *kitten* off to avoid that sort of stress. I'm not telling too many people about what I'm doing. It's Winter here, and I really don't see many people at this time of year, so it's been great to just progress in peace, honestly.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have never lied about my weight loss. I do not regularly talk about it either. I do not recall being asked how much weight that I have lost until I told everyone that I had lost 100 lbs. After that, my family would periodically ask how much I have lost as they could see I was constantly losing weight. Once I passed losing 200 lbs I stopped giving the exact number, as I did not think it really mattered to others.
    Thankfully, I have had the weight off for a few years so nobody asks me anymore how much I have lost. Before starting to lose weight I was very uncomfortable talking about weight or anything diet related. I also realized recently that I used to be embarrassed to talk about eating food when I obviously was eating plenty.
    The thorn in my side is my body and talking about it. Because I have lost so much weight I have loose skin and I have lymphedema is my legs. It is not my favorite topic to discuss, but I am teaching myself that it is okay because it is my current reality. As others have said, you do what works best for you. That is most important.