Shoulder Strain

I went to orthopedic dr. I strained my anterior delt and bicep (did it during overhead press...surprise surprise).

She said that ideally I would not do chest or shoulders for 6 weeks! She said lifting was not recommended until 4 weeks AFTER I was asymptomatic. My pain level and ROM have improved significantly in 3 days.

So my question is...am I really going to have to take 6 weeks off from chest and shoulders?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Yes. Just because you feel better doesn't mean you've healed completely.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Yep. I damaged my shoulder and lost my range of motion. Imagine not being able to pull up your pants on one side. It sucks. Listen to your doctor. Seriously.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    I had to take 7 months off of deadlifting and squatting. 6 weeks will go by before you know. Take it off. Seriously.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I know it sucks but definitely follow the recommendations.. otherwise 6 weeks can become 6 months or even 6 years.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    That's up to you ultimately.

You could always get a second opinion from a doctor that fully understands the benefits of barbell training.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I know it sucks but definitely follow the recommendations.. otherwise 6 weeks can become 6 months or even 6 years.

Yup, I'm going on 7 months of no pressing for the most part. But you can ask about doing other things that indirectly train those muscles. Can you still pull? Pulling exercises are good if it won't aggravate it. Train L-sit for those few weeks as an alternative too.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I have a pinched nerve in my elbow. I was told to avoid everything the aggravates it. It will be hard but do it! Take the time off!!!! or it could be worse in the long run
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    So now my follow up question is...how much detail about soft tissue would an MRI show?

I had an xray to check the bone stucture (fine). Dr said that if there is a rupture that there is a visual deformity. I might follow up in less than 6 weeks if I'm feeling great.

I could tell that the dr could tell that I wasn't intending on waiting 6 weeks...
  • L1zardQueen
    MRIs show detail of soft tissue. I had a torn ligament.
  • L1zardQueen
    The body is designed to health itself you just have to give it time to do so. I say listen to the doc and your body and ease back into lifting. I say take what the doc said as a minimum then really really listen to your body when you start lifting again. Maybe this is your bodies way of telling you its time to change your routine up as well. Plyometric workouts might be very beneficial as you ease back into it. Best wishes on a healthy recovery!

You have no idea what you are talking about.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Possibly. I strained my shoulder back in the fall and it still hurts.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Might want to talk to your doctor about a referral to Physical Therapy.