I Don't Get It?

Options
btltez
btltez Posts: 3 Member
Hi. I'm new. I've been using Fat Secret and wanted to try MFP. I'm a nearly 60 year old man and need to lose about 60 pounds. I have been riding my bike/swimming/kettlebells at least once a day some days twice a day. I bought a Nutri Bullet and am making all kinds of smoothies. There lies the problem. How do I count the calories? Or should I just put ''smoothie" ? I use a scoop of Whey Protein, usually a greek lite yogurt, some almond milk in almost all of them. Then I will just add a bunch of greens and fruits/berries. Sometimes I will use granola/peanut butter/seeds. So, some are more calories than others, all are healthy. How do I record / add the calories? Thanks so much.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    To log your smoothie - weigh each ingredient, find an accurate database entry for each ingredient and log the amount you put in.

Don't just use a random "smoothie" entry - you have no idea what someone else put in their smoothie.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Weigh out the ingredients as you add them. If you use the same base you could make a recipe for that in the recipe tab and then just add the variable ingredients separately.

Do you like having a lot of smoothies? Adding peanut butter, etc. can add a lot of calories. I like having a smoothie on occasion (during this heat, sometimes for dinner) but I stay a lot fuller actually eating my food.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Use measuring cups or a scale and measure and log each item, with the powder and almond milk. Everything.
    If you have a favorite smoothie you drink a lot, you can make an recipe under the food section that way you can just log a serving of your recipe when you make it. But you still have to measure the amounts when you create a recipe.
  • btltez
    Options
    Thanks all who replied. Guess I have to try to measure it all. Yes I like smoothies as it helps me get the veggies and fruits all in one go. I'm not/wasn't a healthy eater. But I like the smoothies. The PB/Granola ones I use as a meal replacement when I don't feel like making lunch or dinner etc. They keep me full for sure.
  • btltez
    Options
    btw I've lost 7 pounds since June 1. I'm gaining muscle though so not sure if 7 is accurate or not. Or if it's good or bad as in should I have lost more? I'm not obsessing over the scale though. I can see my belly is going down. Thanks
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    btltez wrote: »
    btw I've lost 7 pounds since June 1. I'm gaining muscle though so not sure if 7 is accurate or not. Or if it's good or bad as in should I have lost more? I'm not obsessing over the scale though. I can see my belly is going down. Thanks

How are you determining that you're gaining muscle?

1lb a week sounds like a great loss for someone not tracking intake... There's no harm in going steady with your loss.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Rainwa beat me so now it looks like I copied her Lol Awkward. Please note they were sent in the same minute haha

OP: As long as you are trending downward I's be proud. Slower weight loss is more maintainable.