Not losing weight

I started my diet a week ago. I’m under 1500 cals and intermittent fasting (16-20 hours) I haven’t lost any weight. Usually when I start dieting, I lose an initial 5lbs the first week. The only difference is I’m on medication(accutane) this time. I don’t know if that’s the cause or not. Advice?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    one week is really really early days. it's normal that it takes time, it took many months and years to put on.

Did you enter your stats in MFP to get to the 1500 as weight loss level of calories?

Do you properly weigh and measure everything and log them?

Are you eating back exercise calories?

Quick weight loss on the first week is often water weight which may explain the 5lbs the one week. 5lbs a week is not a normal (or generally safe) weight loss rate (unless it's the water weight).

here is a very great ressource: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Stick to the plan and be patient. :)

Grab a free weight-trending app like HappyScale or Libra and chart your daily/weekly weigh-ins. Then take a look at your trend line at the end of the month to see how you're progressing. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    You can't lose 5 pounds of fat in a week. In a week, you can lose up to 2 pounds of fat, depending on how much you have to lose. Any changes beyond that in such a short time, is water and digesting food.

I suggest setting an appropriate calorie goal for your height, weight and sex, and eat whenever suits you. And be patient.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Tjs8819 wrote: »
    I started my diet a week ago. I’m under 1500 cals and intermittent fasting (16-20 hours) I haven’t lost any weight. Usually when I start dieting, I lose an initial 5lbs the first week. The only difference is I’m on medication(accutane) this time. I don’t know if that’s the cause or not. Advice?

If you usually lose 5 lbs right away, it's water weight. It's possible your medication is affecting how much water you are holding onto, so perhaps that's your answer. Regardless, there's nothing to do about it, as water weight will come and go naturally due to all sorts of things.

Lasting weight loss takes time, so if you can be more patient, hopefully this will be the last time you need to "go on a diet". I just want to add as a caution since your profile doesn't tell your gender - if you are male, you should not be eating under 1500 cals. If not, then feel free to ignore that :drinker:
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Accutane does not affect fat loss or appetite. I was on it 5 times btw.