Zero Sugar Energy Drinks

Options
RedPowder
RedPowder Posts: 44 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hello everyone,

So a big part of me putting weight on was Energy drinks the other part just not eating right at all but anyways do you have any suggestions on what can give me just as much energy as a can ? Are these suger free energy drinks just as bad as the regular ones? Well besides the surgers.

Additives? Caffeine ? Why do more people not drink them if they’re just craving something sweet?

rmqq55exnzpo.jpeg
cgfmmf955m9y.jpeg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'Bad' in what way? It's just caffeine?
  • RedPowder
    Options

Additives? Caffeine ? Why do more people not drink them if they’re just craving something sweet?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "bad" at all about energy drinks, you just have to account for the calories in them. If you don't want to use your calories on energy drinks, sugar-free ones would be a good choice.
  • RedPowder
    Options
    There's nothing "bad" at all about energy drinks, you just have to account for the calories in them. If you don't want to use your calories on energy drinks, sugar-free ones would be a good choice.

See I wasn’t sure because I hear a lot of people saying their just as bad and people shouldn’t be drinking diet soda/pop or energy drinks for one reason or another.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    RedPowder wrote: »

Cost. No need/desire for or a sensitivity to the added caffeine or other ingredients (B vitamins, guarana, taurine, etc.) They taste like *kitten*. Perfectly satisfied with water. Prefer sweets in the form of chocolate. And so on :innocent:

But if you like them and want to continue drinking them, sugar free is a fine option.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »
    That's been my drug of choice, I love Monster Ultra. But some people are against sucralose(or any other no calories sweeteners) because our bodies don't see it any differently that actual sugar. No calories, obviously, but the sucralose will still cause your insulin to spike, which creates body fat and also keeps the body from burning fat. And they also can f&ck with your adrenal system if you drink them enough. That's why some people are against them.

Personally, I was drinking one a day usually during the week. After my weight loss stalled and I was feeling tired all the time, I decided to stop drinking them for a while to see what happened. I have now lost a couple more pounds and also don't feel that lack of energy. So who knows, could be a coincidence, or could be something to it.

You gotta do you.

If OP is in a calorie deficit (and his other post indicates that he is), his body won't create and store fat. It's impossible. If you're in a deficit, you're going to be burning fat. Sucralose doesn't transform your body into a machine that can run on no energy. That's nonsense.

I agree and insulin can raise with protein intake as well. a rise in insulin is a normal body response, but some spikes may not be good for those with diabetes or other issues.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    That's been my drug of choice, I love Monster Ultra. But some people are against sucralose(or any other no calories sweeteners) because our bodies don't see it any differently that actual sugar. No calories, obviously, but the sucralose will still cause your insulin to spike, which creates body fat and also keeps the body from burning fat. And they also can f&ck with your adrenal system if you drink them enough. That's why some people are against them.

Personally, I was drinking one a day usually during the week. After my weight loss stalled and I was feeling tired all the time, I decided to stop drinking them for a while to see what happened. I have now lost a couple more pounds and also don't feel that lack of energy. So who knows, could be a coincidence, or could be something to it.

You gotta do you.

If OP is in a calorie deficit (and his other post indicates that he is), his body won't create and store fat. It's impossible. If you're in a deficit, you're going to be burning fat. Sucralose doesn't transform your body into a machine that can run on no energy. That's nonsense.

I agree and insulin can raise with protein intake as well. a rise in insulin is a normal body response, but some spikes may not be good for those with diabetes or other issues.

I don't believe OP is diabetic. He was previously drinking regular energy drinks with presumably no issues (other than weight gain due to excess calories).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    RedPowder wrote: »

I drink energy (sports energy drinks such as Powerade or Lucozade) when I'm cycling and I actively want the sugary (mostly glucose) varieties because I want/need the calories.

Some people avoid the artificially sweetened varieties because of ignorant beliefs about how "bad" they are - despite being passed as safe for human consumption by every food standards agency in the world....
    Some people just dislike the taste of artificial sweeteners, or dislike sugary/sweet drinks.
    Some people just dislike the taste of some energy drinks whether they have calories or not. Red Bull and the like are revolting to me.
    Some people want to moderate their caffeine intake, some people want to boost it.

I don't have cravings for sweet tasting things though, just don't have a sweet tooth.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

You gotta do you.

if sucralose caused insulin to spike and kept fat from being burned I would have never lost weight at all. people are against them because drinking too many in a day can cause issuess for some people and those with heart issues are told to avoid them because of the caffeine and other ingredients. body fat is created from excess calories. I gained weight because I ate too much. I wasnt consumin sucralose or anything like that when I gained weight. as for adrenal system disruptors it says it can have an effect on childrens brains but otherwise https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3674721/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

From the pic in the OP, we're talking about 400 mg of sodium per drink. Most people seem to have more than one in a day. That's great if you've been exercising in the heat and sweating a lot. But it's not so great if you have hypertension. I'm not trying to get moralistic about food and drinks, I'm suggesting another reason why some people might consider these "bad" and tell other people about their opinion. Well, that and people like talking.

To the OP, look into Nuun tablets. They're about 5 calories per serving and also high in sodium, as well as potassium and magnesium.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

From the pic in the OP, we're talking about 400 mg of sodium per drink. Most people seem to have more than one in a day. That's great if you've been exercising in the heat and sweating a lot. But it's not so great if you have hypertension. I'm not trying to get moralistic about food and drinks, I'm suggesting another reason why some people might consider these "bad" and tell other people about their opinion. Well, that and people like talking.

To the OP, look into Nuun tablets. They're about 5 calories per serving and also high in sodium, as well as potassium and magnesium.

I didn't realize energy drinks had that much sodium in them! Maybe that's why so many people talk about soft drinks being high sodium.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I don't know if OP is hypertensive or not. If he is, that's something he should take into account when planning his diet. That consuming several of them would be not good for people with certain medical conditions doesn't make them "bad." With any food or drink, the amount consumed is going to be a factor as well as an individual's lifestyle and health conditions.