Strengthening Lower Abs

Options
dmsl977
dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
I have started taking boot camp style classes. On cardio/ab days, there are several lower ab-centric exercises like flutter kicks, in-and-outs, leg raises... My lower abs are extremely weak. I guess having 3 kids had an impact. I can barely do any of most of these. What are some things that I can do to strengthen this muscle group so that I can perform these exercises? I know that I will progressively get stronger, but if I can't do one, I have to work up to it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do those exercises more?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    That's more than I would do and expect results. Personally I would just do a standing or kneeling ab wheel with a 6 minute timer the 2-3 days if I was in your shoes.
  • dmsl977
    Options
    Do those exercises more?

That's my issue. If I can't do 1, how do I do more? What can I do to strengthen my core enough to do them at all?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What modifiers does your instructor suggest? When did you have your last baby?
  • dmsl977
    Options
    What modifiers does your instructor suggest? When did you have your last baby?

My last baby was quite a while ago, but I haven't tried getting my abs in shape since. I did ask the instructor, and she said that I can only focus on lower, and keep the upper still (for things such as in and outs and bicycles); however, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other moves that can strengthen that area. Planks? etc. I have always had a lower belly pooch, and I would love to see it go down. (Yes, I know you cannot spot reduce, it's about CICO, and losing fat overall. I just want to have a strong core instead of the weak, flabby one I currently have.)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Planks are good because you don't need to lift or move anything. Even if you can only do a few seconds, then do a few seconds. Take a break, then do a few more seconds. Just keep building up time.

If you cant do full legs lifts either, try doing knee lifts. You can sit on the edge of a chair or bench, lean back (keep your hands holding to the underside of the bench) and bring your knees up toward your chest. Then extend them back out and repeat. There are tons of ab/core exercises and modifications out there. Good luck!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    And don't forget your lower back is part of your core as well. Try to add exercises to work it anytime you work your abs for a solid core.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    While I’ve never given birth, I know several people who had an abdominal tear that severely weakens your core strength. There was an interesting article about it: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/07/541204499/flattening-the-mummy-tummy-with-1-exercise-10-minutes-a-day
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Get checked to see if you have Diastasis Recti. If you do have your PCP refer you to a PT that knows how to treat it.

There are a lot of ab exercises that should be avoided if you have it.

Cheers, h.
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Planks.
    Planks.
    Planks.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Planks.
    Planks.
    Planks.

Repeat, planks, planks, planks!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Your lower abs are the same muscle as your upper abs.

jt6lkyuTYizDZFWnsiHpng_Musculus_rectus_abdominis_01.png.jpeg

Train your abs, you'll eventually be able to do those exercises too. Start with the ones you can do and improve.

Guy knows what he is talking about. Compound lifts indirectly help as well
    Lower abs can not be truly targeted/isolated.
  • spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest planks, also try some yoga, yoga can be amazing for strengthening your core.