Zero Sugar Energy Drinks

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RedPowder wrote: »
    'Bad' in what way? It's just caffeine?

Additives? Caffeine ? Why do more people not drink them if they’re just craving something sweet?

When I think 'sweet' I don't think energy drink personally... I drink them when I'm tired, not when I want to eat chocolate.

If I want chocolate, I eat chocolate.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a calorie-free energy drink that doesn't taste like blech...try the Zevia ones. They taste delicious and have 150mg of caffeine...a good jolt :)
    https://www.zevia.com/products/energy
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a calorie-free energy drink that doesn't taste like blech...try the Zevia ones. They taste delicious and have 150mg of caffeine...a good jolt :)
    https://www.zevia.com/products/energy

Are they better than the Zevia pop because most of those don't taste veey good.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "bad" at all about energy drinks, you just have to account for the calories in them. If you don't want to use your calories on energy drinks, sugar-free ones would be a good choice.

From the pic in the OP, we're talking about 400 mg of sodium per drink. Most people seem to have more than one in a day. That's great if you've been exercising in the heat and sweating a lot. But it's not so great if you have hypertension. I'm not trying to get moralistic about food and drinks, I'm suggesting another reason why some people might consider these "bad" and tell other people about their opinion. Well, that and people like talking.

To the OP, look into Nuun tablets. They're about 5 calories per serving and also high in sodium, as well as potassium and magnesium.

I don't know if OP is hypertensive or not. If he is, that's something he should take into account when planning his diet. That consuming several of them would be not good for people with certain medical conditions doesn't make them "bad." With any food or drink, the amount consumed is going to be a factor as well as an individual's lifestyle and health conditions.

Sure, but I'm not arguing that they're bad (it good). I'm trying to answer why some people are telling the OP they're unhealthy, since he asked why he keeps hearing that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "bad" at all about energy drinks, you just have to account for the calories in them. If you don't want to use your calories on energy drinks, sugar-free ones would be a good choice.

From the pic in the OP, we're talking about 400 mg of sodium per drink. Most people seem to have more than one in a day. That's great if you've been exercising in the heat and sweating a lot. But it's not so great if you have hypertension. I'm not trying to get moralistic about food and drinks, I'm suggesting another reason why some people might consider these "bad" and tell other people about their opinion. Well, that and people like talking.

To the OP, look into Nuun tablets. They're about 5 calories per serving and also high in sodium, as well as potassium and magnesium.

I don't know if OP is hypertensive or not. If he is, that's something he should take into account when planning his diet. That consuming several of them would be not good for people with certain medical conditions doesn't make them "bad." With any food or drink, the amount consumed is going to be a factor as well as an individual's lifestyle and health conditions.

Sure, but I'm not arguing that they're bad (it good). I'm trying to answer why some people are telling the OP they're unhealthy, since he asked why he keeps hearing that.

Got it, I misunderstood you. Thanks for clarifying!
  • jdlifsey
    jdlifsey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like Monster Lo Carb (blue) energy drinks. I sometimes also drink the Monster Zero Ultra (white) energy drinks. I can't drink the green Monster drinks....way too much sugar and it puts me to sleep in about 2.5 hours. If you caffeinated drinks (to keep you awake because of lower carbs)...try BANG drinks. It has double the caffeine as Monster or Red Bull....I haven't tried them yet.
  • _Fluff
    _Fluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love Bang drinks. They taste less chemical-like, and don't overdo it on sweetener. I'm always afraid they're going to get discontinued and I'll have to go back to tea-flavored Monster.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    RedPowder wrote: »
    'Bad' in what way? It's just caffeine?

Additives? Caffeine ? Why do more people not drink them if they’re just craving something sweet?

I don't drink them simply because I can't stand the taste of any of them. I've tried a bunch of different ones over the years and they all taste nasty to me. If I want something sweet to drink, I'll either have a diet soda or iced tea with artificial sweetener in it.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Monster Ultra is my treat to myself. I love coffee, but I prefer it with lots of sweeteners, and the sugar-free Monster satisfies the desire for sweet with my caffeine. (It's the only carbonated beverage I drink regularly)

I find that people - using the term generally - like to feel moralistic or like they have the high ground on something. Energy drinks have a reputation of being popular with gamers, and the stereotype they think of are people that spend all their time participating in sedentary activities, drinking sugary soda and eating snacks.

I haven't noticed that Monster really impacts my weight loss. I stopped it a few months ago to see if it was related to a sleep issue I was having and noticed no difference after 6 weeks.

So yeah, if you like the sugar free stuff, by all means! If you feel weird after drinking it, be smart and aware of your own body.
  • DanHebson
    DanHebson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to drink roughly 4-5 cans of green monster which obviously contributed to a lot of my weight gain. When i decided to lose weight i switched over to the Monster Ultra which is only 11kcal a can and still consistently lost 2lb a week for 2 years. Whether it's healthy or not is another matter, so if the only thing you care about is it impacting weight loss then have no fear and drink away my friend.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I enjoy an energy drink when I am rushed in the morning and do not have time for coffee. I like the "Bang" brand, they are 0 calories and lots of tasty flavors. I buy a case at GNC for when I need one on occasion. I also like "Amino Energy" by optimum nutrition, 5 calories and the peach lemonade flavor is quite tasty.
  • stareeeyed1
    stareeeyed1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is an addictive drug ... *sings* just like nicotine, heroine, morphine ... (ok the song's cute, but a bit overboard haha) and the human brain is geared towards sweetness affecting our pleasure centers, artificial sweetners are often technically sweeter than naturally sweetened beverages so one might extraoplate that the combination promotes obsessive (if not maybe a little bit addictive) behaviors regarding the beverage. I think anything you can't do in proper balance and moderation can be an issue long term, but if you enjoy them now and then a low cal option would cut down on the calories. I use low cal sweetners in my tea when I'm out I'm not dead yet.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I use Monster Ultra Violet on a daily basis. The biggest thing about using energy drinks on a regular basis is about the fact that the high vitamin content with caffeine can make a person more prone to developing things like kidney stones unless they make a point to drink adequate water.

If you're drinking more than one can a day, it would be prudent to drink more then 8 glasses of water a day to accommodate the higher water soluble vitamins.

I've had no relative issues myself. I have some B vitamin deficiencies, so they help me supply my supplemental dietary needs... but I also drink a LOT of water every day. I catch a lot of flak from people about my usage but really, they aren't particularly more caffeinated than sodas in general.

What I will say though is that if you are finding yourself chronically tired/fatigued and in need of an energy boost, you might try exploring the possibility of being under nourished from a vitamin perspective or dehydrated... Especially if your body seems to be addicted to these drinks. A lot of people starting out in a healthy lifestyle change are chronically dehydrated and have a misunderstanding as to what is generating their general lack of energy. Drinking a lot of caffeinated beverages without supplying good water and food balance will feed that fatigue cycle more than help it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    I use Monster Ultra Violet on a daily basis. The biggest thing about using energy drinks on a regular basis is about the fact that the high vitamin content with caffeine can make a person more prone to developing things like kidney stones unless they make a point to drink adequate water.

If you're drinking more than one can a day, it would be prudent to drink more then 8 glasses of water a day to accommodate the higher water soluble vitamins.

I've had no relative issues myself. I have some B vitamin deficiencies, so they help me supply my supplemental dietary needs... but I also drink a LOT of water every day. I catch a lot of flak from people about my usage but really, they aren't particularly more caffeinated than sodas in general.

What I will say though is that if you are finding yourself chronically tired/fatigued and in need of an energy boost, you might try exploring the possibility of being under nourished from a vitamin perspective or dehydrated... Especially if your body seems to be addicted to these drinks. A lot of people starting out in a healthy lifestyle change are chronically dehydrated and have a misunderstanding as to what is generating their general lack of energy. Drinking a lot of caffeinated beverages without supplying good water and food balance will feed that fatigue cycle more than help it.

even excessive soda intake can cause kidney stones. dr told my daughters friend to cut down on soda because it was causing her stones. she stopped and hasnt had an issue. but some people are prone to kidney stones more than others and for some it comes down to diet too.
  • RedPowder
    RedPowder Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »

Thankfully I only have maybe two a week since starting my diet so with all the responses I’ve come to the conclusion I should be alright.