Eat Less Eat Often!

Options
Hello All,

Recently started my journey to a healthier lifestyle, the most important thing for me is to feel good and look better! Hence my search for the right way to stay fit and lean began!

3 things I can comment on:

1. We over order and over eat. Next time you go eat at a restaurant, ask the waiter to put half of your meal to go (place under seat when received) and bring you the other half to dine in. Eat the half, wait 20 mins. That’s how long it takes your stomach to signal your brain that you’re full. If you’re still hungry after this, eat the rest of your meal but you’ll have to pull it from under your seat and serve yourself again ;)
2. Peace Sign Food Portions: draw an imaginary peace sign on your plate, fill each section as follows: protein: 1 handful grains: 2 handfuls veggies/fruit: 2 handfuls

3. Plenty of water and excercise at least 45 mins a day.

Hope everyone has a great day, I’m open to any feedback or pointers! Let’s shed that weight baby!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I don't spend 20 minutes at the restaurant after eating. Waiters love my family. I guess that's good for the other half?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I do IF which already reduces my calorie intake without all of your steps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    They say eat less and eat often, every 2 hours! So if you try that method it may help you reduce excessive caloric intake

For some it does. I do better with three regular meals plus dessert (not to mention my job doesn't give me the chance to eat every two hours).
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I will ask for half the meal in a to-go box at restaurants where I know the portions are gigantic, like Cheesecake Factory (they have 2,000 calorie salads!) and at Chinese restaurants (who can eat six cups of fried rice in one sitting anyways?) Often, I will have to box up my own food, since many restaurants will not do this for you.

Thankfully since calorie counts are required to be listed on most chain restaurant menus now, I can order appropriately for my needs.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    If I put half the food in a box under my seat that means it is on the floor. In a restaurant. I shudder to even think about eating it after that. Guess that could mean I am eating less calories though.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I always put half my meal from a restaurant in a to go box. It used to be right away, but after a couple of years I got better at waiting till the end (and not eating all of it). It was a suggestion I got on here years ago, and is great. I don’t do anything else except count calories.
  • jgarciavalenz
    jgarciavalenz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    “They” is the Human Performance Institue. Google them :)
    What works for me is entirely different than what may work for you, genetics is the biggest factor of them all.

Just some tips I generalized for the community! More power to everyone and their opinion.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    If I put half the food in a box under my seat that means it is on the floor. In a restaurant. I shudder to even think about eating it after that. Guess that could mean I am eating less calories though.

I thought the same thing... either that or you're sitting on your food, and little styrofoam containers probably wouldn't hold up very well to butts 😆
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I seriously overate because eating small in-between snacks are supposed to stoke your metabolism. Nope, I got fat instead and stayed that way until I started using MFP correctly.

I agree. A bunch of small meals/snacks only worked to make me pile on unwanted pounds :(
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    American portions in restaurants are much bigger than in the UK. I only ever need to order a starter and dessert when in the USA.
    My best friend is a grazer and that works well for him, I couldn't eat like that, I have two good size meals which fill me up, possibly with fruit in between.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks... I love your post. I don't calorie count.. I also use rules like yours and I've lost all my weight. I eat have literally eaten my way thin. I did it by changing the rules of how I eat. I eat often ..all day..but the right things.

I don't focus or think of "deficits" "counting". and "restrictions".... food is good and so is life.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that small meals throughout the day don't work for me. Logically, it makes sense...if you're eating 5-7 times per day, how can you be hungry or have cravings? For me, the problem was the little meals/snacks didn't fill me up at all, and I was pretty much never satisfied. I'd be ravenous 30 minutes after eating and was essentially just hungry all day long. OTOH, if I eat a meal of 600-700 calories, I'm completely satisfied and don't get hungry until it's time for my next meal.