HELP: I’M STUCK

Options
Sooooooo I started trying to lose weight July 11th after i weighed and realized that I had gotten up to my highest weight ever...249.6. I’m 5’7” and I have quite a bit of muscle (mainly in my legs from working them out every day in 9th/10th grade) but now that I’m 18 and out of high school I haven’t been working out at all. I’ve been counting my calories and have been drinking a gallon or more of water a day and I’ve gotten down to 238.5 as of Friday. Saturday I weighed 239.1 and I decided to wait to weigh until today and I HAVENT MOVED. I’m 239.3 today and I cried when I saw the number on that scale. I had been losing weight really quickly and I was really happy and now I’m stuck and I don’t know what to do. Any stories or motivation would be GREATLY appreciated, I need to get out of this funk. 💗

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. Weight loss isn't linear. You lost a lot of water weight in that first week, so some of it is returning.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. It will take time. Relax, and just do the mfp program. You’ll lose the weight, over time.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    OK. Rethink. Weighing daily will drive you nuts if you let it. Weight loss doesn’t happen day to day. Maybe week to week, but actually month to month is better.

Try this. Try to set up a plan to follow until October, 31st. A bit more than 3 months. Set up an official weigh in every week. Same day, time, clothes, control as many factors as you can. If you can’t stay off the scale other times, it’s just to look, it’s not official. Record your weight on a chart.

Keep counting calories and try to hit your number. When you get to the end of October, re-evaluate and make another 3 month plan. Really, you need a longer time horizon than tomorrow.
  • daveyboy35
    daveyboy35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    gracieminor1
    Do you do Intermittent fasting ? If not research everything about it and give it a try. :-)
  • robinbrooksparker
    robinbrooksparker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo I started trying to lose weight July 11th after i weighed and realized that I had gotten up to my highest weight ever...249.6. I’m 5’7” and I have quite a bit of muscle (mainly in my legs from working them out every day in 9th/10th grade) but now that I’m 18 and out of high school I haven’t been working out at all. I’ve been counting my calories and have been drinking a gallon or more of water a day and I’ve gotten down to 238.5 as of Friday. Saturday I weighed 239.1 and I decided to wait to weigh until today and I HAVENT MOVED. I’m 239.3 today and I cried when I saw the number on that scale. I had been losing weight really quickly and I was really happy and now I’m stuck and I don’t know what to do. Any stories or motivation would be GREATLY appreciated, I need to get out of this funk. 💗

I know the frustration you are feeling first hand. I started my weight loss journey back in September. The first few months I was losing as average of 2 lbs per week. Sometime around January I slowed down to about .5-1.0 per month. Then nothing for months. Now I have gained back 5 lbs. I can tell you this fact...I stopped tracking everything I ate. I wrote down the meals and snacks but then continued to eat and not keep track...it added up. I have now set myself back and will have to conquer the damage I have done. I don’t think you should fret about a lb here and there, weight will fluctuate. But if it climbs back up 5 lbs or more, reevaluate and make sure you aren’t leaving anything out
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Op hang in there. Weight loss isn't linear. There's going to be times that the scale doesn't move. Keep on trucking though.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The scale is only one facet of measurement in a weight loss journey don't put that much stock into it if you weigh yourself daily since it will fluctuate over time. Just keep an eye on long term trends like losing inches, feeling mentally and physically better, and somewhere lower on that list include weight. When I was losing weight it was about a pound or two a week but sometimes I didn't lose anything and sometimes I gained. When I started working out again at the beginning of summer I gained weight back but now it is starting to drop again plus I am getting more toned, I haven't had this type of muscle definition in decades. Sometimes our bodies retain water and that is just part of the journey. If you keep with it and give yourself the time and room to push through the weight plateaus it will happen. Take as much stress and worry as you can off your table so to speak, its amazing what that will do to your outlook on life in general and contribute to getting in shape.
  • gracieminor1
    gracieminor1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thank y’all so much, i really appreciate all the motivation and support and it’s made me feel a lot better. i think my mindset was that i was going to lose weight really quickly and i would be off my diet in a couple of months, but y’all have helped me realize that it’s a process and a journey and i just have to breathe and take it one day at a time. i think the only reason i was trying to get down so quickly is because my dad made me a bet that if i got down to 225 he would take me to see WWE on September 7th; he knows that’s my dream show to go to so it was perfect motivation 😂 but if i don’t get down that quickly, it’s okay. i’m just proud of what i’ve already lost and i’m not going to give up this diet just because i haven’t lost. thank y’all so much
    again 💗