Question about brisk walking

Options
Hello Members,

Is brisk walking a good exercise to lose weight? Is it an effective exercise if you want to lose about 20kg of your weight?

Also, are there any apps which help to monitor your walking speed so that you can ensure that you are walking fast enough?

Thank you.

Replies

• meepmya
    meepmya Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think walking is probably one of the best exercises there is. It’s free, less impact on knees, I can do it whenever I want, and get to explore different areas I’ve never been to. I started out just walking, no gym and managed to loose ~30lbs just doing this form of exercise.
    Map my walk is an ok app. If you have access to a treadmill you can check roughly how fast your walking speed is on one of those. I prefer to walk outside, fresh morning air, clears my mind, good for mental wellbeing and physical. 🙂
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how much you want to lose. I started off 114 lbs away from goal and walking 25 minutes at roughly 3 mph. Now I'm 20lbs or so from goal and walking 2 hours at 3.5.

It's the calorie deficit that helps you lose weight, whether it comes from diet, exercise, or a combination.

I use mapmywalk every so often, plugging in my routes and how long it takes me to walk them. Then it tells me how far I went and how fast.
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    meepmya wrote: »
    I think walking is probably one of the best exercises there is. It’s free, less impact on knees, I can do it whenever I want, and get to explore different areas I’ve never been to. I started out just walking, no gym and managed to loose ~30lbs just doing this form of exercise.
    Map my walk is an ok app. If you have access to a treadmill you can check roughly how fast your walking speed is on one of those. I prefer to walk outside, fresh morning air, clears my mind, good for mental wellbeing and physical. 🙂

Thanks for your reply meepmya :) I feel inspired to start doing brisk walking too. :)
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how much you want to lose. I started off 114 lbs away from goal and walking 25 minutes at roughly 3 mph. Now I'm 20lbs or so from goal and walking 2 hours at 3.5.

It's the calorie deficit that helps you lose weight, whether it comes from diet, exercise, or a combination.

I use mapmywalk every so often, plugging in my routes and how long it takes me to walk them. Then it tells me how far I went and how fast.

Thanks for youre reply estherdragonbat :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking is goid exercise, but losing weight is all about your calorie deficit
  • jennifertreloar1
    jennifertreloar1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Along with a calorie deficit , I lost 17 kg in 6 months walking 2-3 times per week. I googled how to walk properly, how to increase speed etc. I use an app called Strava, to monitor my walks. I have also added lots of hill climbs, hikes as I got fitter, as I like to vary my scenery. My own neighborhood got boring quickly.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    meepmya wrote: »
    I prefer to walk outside, fresh morning air, clears my mind, good for mental wellbeing and physical. 🙂
    Perfect. Walking doesn't have to be boring; it can be very mentally fun. I walk different paths depending on my mood/location. I take time to look for and listen to the wildlife, look up at the stars (I love astronomy), and and let my imagination be my entertainment ("what if the zombie apocalypse happened ... right here, right now?" I've been on space ships, and into medieval dungeons in my mind too many times to count, all while getting my steps).