Wow - Reality Check Today at the Gym

Options
I do personal training 3 days a week (was doing 2 days a week until about 2 weeks ago and decided to step it up). After I was finished, my trainer told me to jump on the treadmill and do a half mile as fast as I could, trying for 4 minutes. I did it in 4.5, and I was dying, lol :)

So I get on the TM and enter in my weight and speed to start at. Then a woman next to me got on and entered in her weight, and she weighed 105 pounds. Oh. My. God. I grew up as a small girl, and here I am, at age 42, weighing 70 pounds MORE than the woman on the treadmill next to me. I couldn't believe that I could be so fat that I weighed 70 pounds more than ANYONE.

On top of it all, I have been doing the personal training and following my calories on this site for more than 2 months with almost no change. Today I actually came down 1.5 pounds after stagnating for almost 2 months.

I guess I have no idea how fat I really am, that I could possibly weigh 70 pounds more than another woman. It was a very, very depressing realization.

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    105 isn't a weight, it's a temperature (joan rivers)
  • francena84
    Options
    What is a 105 pound person doing at the gym in the first place??? Was she short??
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Its a daily battle. But we are here and we are working for our goals. Thats all we can do. And stay positive. I know its hard, and people can tell you over and over again, but it really takes alot of work to not beat your self up. Just know that you are trying and that it will come eventually!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    ever think that she was lying about her weight?
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do you weight and measure your food?
  • harm_ny
    harm_ny Posts: 21
    Options
    Everyone is built differently, everyone has a different muscle to mass ratio. Just because you weigh more than someone doesn't mean you aren't a healthy and beautiful individual!
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Inside all she really wants is a cupcake. Truly.
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    105 pounds is very small - depending on how tall she was of course. I wouldn't worry about it - you will come down and hey at least you are doing something about it which is more than what 95% of people do. Just be honest in your diaries and stick to your workouts (hopefully you are doing some type of exercise - at least walking - daily on top of your PT sessions). It will happen - just look at the success stories part of this site, that will be you if you are consistent and honest.
  • ahalla
    ahalla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love it. I would have to agree with you, I am with you completely...however, I would have probably gotten off and found a new TM, LOL. Not really, but I do tend to get discouraged when "my dream body" walks next to me...I want to just scream. We will do it and one day we will be the skinny folks on the tm and another women will look at us and think...why are they at the gym?!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    don't compare yourself to anyone else. you are a unique individual. unless she was really short, 105lbs sounds really tiny anyways.

congrats on the loss. i know how you have been feeling, i have been on a plateau for at least 2 months, if not more, and btw...i am 100lbs heavier than you :P so you will always be heavier than than some people, and others will always be heavier than you. what is healthy for you is all that matters, weight is just a number after all.
  • llaco4life
    Options
    Don't feel bad. A lot of us are on here for the same reason. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Good luck on your journey!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I do personal training 3 days a week (was doing 2 days a week until about 2 weeks ago and decided to step it up). After I was finished, my trainer told me to jump on the treadmill and do a half mile as fast as I could, trying for 4 minutes. I did it in 4.5, and I was dying, lol :)

So I get on the TM and enter in my weight and speed to start at. Then a woman next to me got on and entered in her weight, and she weighed 105 pounds. Oh. My. God. I grew up as a small girl, and here I am, at age 42, weighing 70 pounds MORE than the woman on the treadmill next to me. I couldn't believe that I could be so fat that I weighed 70 pounds more than ANYONE.

On top of it all, I have been doing the personal training and following my calories on this site for more than 2 months with almost no change. Today I actually came down 1.5 pounds after stagnating for almost 2 months.

I guess I have no idea how fat I really am, that I could possibly weigh 70 pounds more than another woman. It was a very, very depressing realization.

Honey, are you for real? I'm almost 6 feet tall. I could never weigh 105 lbs. And if I did, I would damn near be death! We all have different bodies. You can't compare yours to another. BUT, if you keep persevering, then someday you WILL have a body you can be comfortable and happy with. Don't worry about others. Focus on yourself. That is what is most important. Good luck and stay motivated. We can get there together.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    What is a 105 pound person doing at the gym in the first place??? Was she short??

To be fit. The gym isn't "just" for weight loss.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    Was she the same height and build as you? Because I would be clinically dead at 105 pounds. I'm too skinny if I go below 140 pounds. You have to look at all the factors before you start comparing yourself to anyone else. You probably have more muscle than her since you've been doing so much training. Don't be so hard on yourself, weight is just a number. You'll find your beautiful number that works for you and your body. Just know it's NOT 105. <3
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Do you weight and measure your food?

Yes. In fact, I was looking today on Amazon for a digital scale, I have a non-digital but wanted to splurge. And I decided today after reading something on here that I am quitting diet soda. I saw that you can gain a lot of belly fat, which is really what I have at this point (my legs are actually in great shape).

And to the poster that questioned whether she was entering her real weight, LMFAO, I do think she was, but I guess it is possible she was lying to herself :laugh:
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I really don't pay attention to other people's weight at the gym, but I do pay attention to the speed they use on the treadmill. I got a great piece of advise from my brother (Moefitt. He's on here to help others if you're interested). He told me to slow down my speed on the treadmill and that would increase my endurance. Know what? It worked! Now I can run sometimes 2 miles at a time at 4.5 rather than stopping at .60 mile at 5.5. The burn is fantastic!
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You are on your own journey, not hers. Her dog probably doesn't like her, or some other thing she has to deal with.

You can succeed. Plug in here on MFP, there is ample proof positive you can succeed.

Change things, re-evaluate what you are and aren't able to do, get some peer support from
    other here. Do something calming and de-stressing (I recommend yoga)

If you want to, and even more importantly if you can commit to doing what it takes, you'll succeed.
    Hang in there.
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    Don't compare yourself! That's a very, very bad road to put yourself on. Remember, the only reason why you should be ashamed of yourself is if you are NOT trying to do anything about it. Because you are doing something, that sets you above the average people.

Plus, all people will weigh differently. At my smallest (118 lb) I was still considered chubby. I only got down to that weight by making myself sick and over-exercising, but now I realize it's not the number on the scales that really matters. It's being healthy.

Hang in there. You are doing your very best, and that's all that matters.
  • jazzmaniac
    Options
    You can't compare yourself to other people at the gym. You can only compare yourself to yourself, really. As long as you're making consistent, steady progress, you have reason for joy. Don't get discouraged and keep training!
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    need a self esteem boost? I'll come stand beside you on the other treadmill. LOL Seriously... there is much to be said about perspective. Although you would really like to be in her shoes... there are many that would like to be in yours.