2lbs a week?

Options
I’m 5’6 159lbs. I want to get down to 140lbs. So I have 19lbs to lose. Is 2lbs a week a good goal or should I be set to 1lb a week?
People on here say the closer you are to your goal you should change your settings, but how close? I’ve lost 25 lbs so far.
Thanks!

Replies

• reposadojo
    reposadojo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After reading this I feel like I might have been too aggressive with my weight loss,, oops
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    reposadojo wrote: »
    After reading this I feel like I might have been too aggressive with my weight loss,, oops

Let me back up a little and rephrase my first post to say that "Two pounds is really for women who are heavily overweight/obese." It could be different for men; I don't really pay attention since that doesn't apply to me.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

If you were successful it's not really that big of a deal. The 1% limit is usually what's cited as the maximum rate to lose without losing too much muscle, though there have been studies on bodybuilding prep showing up to 1.3% loss /week without negative effect. For most users it's about setting attainable goals and expectations that best help them succeed. This also isn't adequately explained through guided setup which leads to a litany of new users coming in, setting their loss rate at 2lb/week with not that much weight to lose, getting target of 1200 calories that might not even achieve the requisite 1000 cal/day deficit, and result the user feeling deprived, frustrated with unmet expectations, and prone to binge cycles.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

If you were successful it's not really that big of a deal. The 1% limit is usually what's cited as the maximum rate to lose without losing too much muscle, though there have been studies on bodybuilding prep showing up to 1.3% loss /week without negative effect. For most users it's about setting attainable goals and expectations that best help them succeed. This also isn't adequately explained through guided setup which leads to a litany of new users coming in, setting their loss rate at 2lb/week with not that much weight to lose, getting target of 1200 calories that might not even achieve the requisite 1000 cal/day deficit, and result the user feeling deprived, frustrated with unmet expectations, and prone to binge cycles.

I do wish there was a function to warn users when they choose a rate of loss too aggressive for the 1200-1500 floor that their goal is unsuitable and can't be accomplished while eating the minimum required calories.

But this would probably just lead to more people thinking they need to under-eat so nevermind...
  • reposadojo
    Options
    Well.. I have lost 42pounds in roughly 3months.. But I'm not struggling and have been quite happy with the food intake and eating around 1200 plus calories daily. Just another 14 to 21pounds to go now..
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have been able to keep my muscle mass and I'm not the tallest guy either. I eat my protein goal every day too. And play football, soccer competitive too.. I just seem to loose weight quickly.. And at weekends I eat out and eat waffles and syrup and other treats.

So you eat 1200 during the week and don't count on weekends?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I have been able to keep my muscle mass and I'm not the tallest guy either. I eat my protein goal every day too. And play football, soccer competitive too.. I just seem to loose weight quickly.. And at weekends I eat out and eat waffles and syrup and other treats.

Eating at 1200cal a day, yeah you would lose weight quickly. That's not always a good thing. There's a reason for the minimum recommendations, and unless you're getting a reliable body scan you honestly can't be sure that you're not losing any muscle mass. It's not always immediately noticeable.
  • reposadojo
    Options
    Just to put it out there as people keep quoting.. Originally I posted I eat minimum 1200plus. Not just a flat 1200.
    I can't be hundred percent I havnt lost any muscle mass but most of the weight loss I can see is from my stomach. My arms shoulders. Legs still look good muscle wise and they still look defined. And to answer another question.. Yes I don't really count on a weekend. I eat what I want but I don't go crazy.. But I eat out and, eat waffles and such... Tgi friday's. I just mainly diet Monday to Friday.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    When people warn against losing too much muscle it isn’t because they’re concerned about your biceps.

Lol... I want to save that and use it whenever someone has a "but my muscles look good" excuse for pursuing an overly-aggressive calorie deficit. Which sadly would be a lot :(
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Just to put it out there as people keep quoting.. Originally I posted I eat minimum 1200plus. Not just a flat 1200.
    I can't be hundred percent I havnt lost any muscle mass but most of the weight loss I can see is from my stomach. My arms shoulders. Legs still look good muscle wise and they still look defined. And to answer another question.. Yes I don't really count on a weekend. I eat what I want but I don't go crazy.. But I eat out and, eat waffles and such... Tgi friday's. I just mainly diet Monday to Friday.

Doesn't matter. Your weight loss bears out that you have lost at a rate of 3.5 lbs/week, which means you are in an average deficit of 1750 calories a day. That's healthy and appropriate if you are 300+ lbs... not so much if you are 20 lbs from goal. That was your choice, but others need to know it's unwise.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    1-2lbs a week is generally accepted as a healthy weight gain/loss target.