Getting started is HARD!

Options
I lost 30 lbs two years ago and during that time I exercised at least 3 times a week. I stopped and of course gained the weight back. I am soooo tired and don't want to do anything when I get off work! I know I have to start back but I just can't get motivated! Any tips/pointers/positive speech (lol)....anything?

Replies

• EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You are going to feel better after that FIRST workout. I promise!

It's hard to stay motivated. But it's also hard to have pretty clothes that don't fit, to look in the mirror and dislike what you see, or to not be able to live the life you want without getting out of breath. You have to choose your hard.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Start with getting your calorie counting (use a digital food scale for all foods) and nutrition in line.

Then give yourself a 250-500 cal deficit to lose 0.5-1lbs a week. A suitable goal if you only have 20-40lbs to lose.

Then look at what activities you enjoy/ tolerate best and persue them. A little cardio, walking is fine, and a little strength, bodyweight, dumbbells etc.

Pilates, yoga, aqua fit, and even gardening can be good conditioning exercises.

Eat back a reasonable amount of your exercise calories, you will have more energy for living a full life, and that is how MFP is set up.

Start slow, make changes when you are ready. All you need to lose the weight is a calorie deficit.

Cheers, h.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Get up and do your workout first thing, before anything else can get in your way. Maybe start with something short, like T25 or 30 day shred, and gradually increase time or intensity. Or go for a walk or run. Whatever you like. Getting it done will be a huge motivator.
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs two years ago and during that time I exercised at least 3 times a week. I stopped and of course gained the weight back. I am soooo tired and don't want to do anything when I get off work! I know I have to start back but I just can't get motivated! Any tips/pointers/positive speech (lol)....anything?

The hardest part, is starting!! You did it once before, you can do it again! Find your "why" believe in yourself! No amounts speeches , or motivational quotes can do it for us! The motivation starts within! You got this! I defintley would get up early, before you have a chance to change your mind, and get your workout in! That will set your time for the day!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Here is my motto: Keep your eyes on the prize!

and also: You don't get the as$ you want by sitting on it!
  • donna2712
    donna2712 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Start slow and work up. That is what I did. I joined a gym and started with 20 min, then went to 22 then 25 ... you get the picture. I now work out 60min cardio and weights on alternate days. I took me a couple of months to get the habit going. If you don't want to join a gym go for a 15 walk, or 30 or whatever your minimum is and start from there. If you don't want to do it after work, do it in the morning by getting up 5 minutes earlier each day until you have the spare 20 mins for a walk.

Good luck
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    For me, I need to make a plan - I need to know exactly what workout I will be doing each day, and exactly what time I will be doing it. Unless I schedule it in and set my alarm to wake me up at 5:30 to get it done, I know the day will take over and I won't do anything. Having a week (or longer) planned out also makes me feel like I am falling behind if I miss a workout, which means having to make it up.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Motivation for me comes after action. You'll likely feel more motivated if you just do something (even a 10 minute walk) and build a little more each day.

Exactly. To me, thinking about motivation is an exercise in time wasting. Make a decision and take action. The momentum and the reward of achievement will keep you going.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @CassieJones104 if you follow this link it will take you to a collection of very informative posts that might help guide you.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

As others have said - choose your hard
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Just do it. You just have decide what your priorities are. As someone else said, you get up every morning, you eat, you bathe, you brush your teeth, you go to work (or whatever you do I don't know) etc. Those things are priorities in your life. You can decide that your health is a priority too. And then just do it. I used to be like you. I always had excuses, I have no time, etc. but then one day I just decided exercise is important to maintain good health especially being that I sit on my kitten all day at work, so I made it a priority. I do some form of exercise almost every day. I am a busy mom who works full time and I make time for working out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Just do it. You just have decide what your priorities are. As someone else said, you get up every morning, you eat, you bathe, you brush your teeth, you go to work (or whatever you do I don't know) etc. Those things are priorities in your life. You can decide that your health is a priority too. And then just do it. I used to be like you. I always had excuses, I have no time, etc. but then one day I just decided exercise is important to maintain good health especially being that I sit on my kitten all day at work, so I made it a priority. I do some form of exercise almost every day. I am a busy mom who works full time and I make time for working out.

Yup. It's all about priorities, goals and decisions and not feels.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    It is hard, I agree. I think the "well you just have to make the decision to..." is true but also in my eyes minimizes how hard creating new, sometimes uncomfortable, habits is (I suspect no one is trying to do that mind you). The main way I am able to build new workout related habits is to essentially force myself to do it, even if I don't want to do so. That doesn't mean I exercise through injury or illness, but it does mean that there will be times when I'm tired and would like to take a nap (again, not because I'm sick but because it's been a long day) but make myself get on the bike.

Once that habit has actually formed things get much easier.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Much easier for me to hit my workouts early in the morning. After work with kids its just too crazy. I wake up at 5 work out for about an hour, make breakfast for the kids and am out at 7:45
  • sushilprad
    sushilprad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Where we want to be in life is hard work. We have to work hard dor it. If everything was simple, then everyone wpuld do it. That is how we get satisfied when we reach our goal. So if you are looking to be motivated, you have to want it bad enough to do it. If you want to loose weight or whatever your goal is, that is your motivation. I would suggest putting a picture or something that reminds you of what you want to accomplish and put it where you can see it everyday. It should help you and motivate you. As one of my favorite speaker says, there is no such thing as procastination. There is such a thing as if it is a priority to you. If something is mot a priority to you, then you will never do it or find excuses to do it
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk at lunch.
    Start walking as part of your commute.