Groceries!!

Options
Alright! I am needing some ideas/help on what to get for the month that will continue to help me lose the weight. Since I live out in the country I go grocery shopping at least every other 3 weeks. So I buy enough to hold me 3 weeks. Ok so please give me ideas on what to get! Read. Set. Go! 😊

Replies

• presidentcarter
    presidentcarter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One thing I would get is eggs. they have many good benefits like protein and would probably last too
  • countryflames
    countryflames Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One thing I would get is eggs. they have many good benefits like protein and would probably last too

For sure. I always get eggs, no matter what.
  • momrosado
    momrosado Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Silk almond milk will last a month. cereal, cheerios is a good snack, tuna fish in can. bread you can freeze
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, and canned vegetables. Can you grow your own little vegetable garden?
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Kale keeps better than many leafy greens and cabbage, carrots, and onions both will keep for a while. Can you freeze some of what you buy? I would buy bananas, berries and anything else on sale and freeze them I would buy large cuts/whole chickens and make bone broths. Lots of eggs, dried beans, rice and salsa.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Any foods that help you achieve a calorie deficit will help you lose weight. If you’re only shopping every few weeks, Stock up on frozen fruits and veggies to supplement after you deplete any fresh produce. Meal prep on the first weekend and freeze items to help supplement your rotation for the month. Buy meat in bulk and either cook it (ground beef/turkey or grilled chicken) and then portion or in smaller quantities for other meals (1 lb cooked and drained ground beef makes an easy addition to spaghetti or chili on a week night)
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How much do you like to cook and what do you like to eat? I can tell you what I go through in 3 weeks but if you don't cook or like that kind of food it won't do you any good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I never let myself run out of eggs, oatmeal, flour, powdered milk, and the basics of baking (baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt). I choose my big meats at the store depending on what is on sale.

Sturdy fresh vegetables include potatoes, carrots, cabbage and onions.

Soy sauce is an indispensable condiment. Get low salt if you are watching that.

With the above basics I can make; cookies, waffles, pancakes, muffins (including carrot muffins), overnight oats, oatmeal, biscuits, pasta (If I am so inclined; it it time intensive), soups, stews, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, and stir fries.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I forgot all the egg based dishes. Omelets, egg muffins, quiche, and custards.
  • countryflames
    Options

katphi1618 wrote: »
    How much do you like to cook and what do you like to eat? I can tell you what I go through in 3 weeks but if you don't cook or like that kind of food it won't do you any good.

Please do tell! I love cooking.

• countryflames
    Options
    Dried beans, rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, and canned vegetables. Can you grow your own little vegetable garden?

Indeed! I’m already doing that. Got tomatoes going, zucchini, squash, onions, and Anaheim’s.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Indeed! I’m already doing that. Got tomatoes going, zucchini, squash, onions, and Anaheim’s.

Have you tried canning those vegetables you grow? It is so much fun.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about having a calorie deficit not type of food so you can eat whatever fits your goals. You don't have to totally change your diet to lose weight.

Bulking out meals with lower calorie vegetables and fruits helps some people.
    Since you are shopping for several weeks frozen or canned vegetables/fruits are a good option as well as vegetables/fruits with a longer storage time. Cabbage, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, onions, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, cauliflower, apples, oranges for example. https://food.unl.edu/food-storage-chart-cupboardpantry-refrigerator-and-freezer
    Whole head lettuces seem to last a lot longer than packaged salad greens. Kale or spinach seem to last longer than lettuce for me but I don't like kale.

Protein, fats and fiber tend to help people feel more satisfied so you might want to make sure you are including those kinds of foods.

These are basics I usually have:
    Apples
    Oranges
    Canned peaches
    Canned tomato
    Canned tomato paste and tomato sauce
    Frozen green beans, peas, spinach, stir fry veggies, corn
    Frozen strawberries, blueberries, peaches or mango
    Vinegars
    Salad dressings- I like Newman's Own light balsamic vinaigrette and Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings
    condiments
    Salsa
    Herbs and spices
    Yogurt- can be used in cooking or in a smoothie, as a snack or a small meal
    Cottage cheese
    String cheese
    Canned tuna
    Canned soup
    Jar of pasta sauce
    Eggs
    Milk- powdered milk can be a good option if you don't use much and don't mind skim milk
    Dry beans
    Lentils
    Canned beans
    Bread- there are some lower calorie breads or whole grain breads
    Tortillas
    Cooking spray, cooking oils, butter
    Nut butters or sunflower butter
    Oatmeal
    Pasta
    Rice
    Quinoa
    Flour
    Meat- I use things like chicken thighs, ground turkey, ground beef, pork roast, turkey, chicken breast. I don't eat much fish but sometimes buy frozen fish. Sometimes things like turkey or pork sausage. I don't get bacon much.
    I almost always have pizza toppings on hand.
    Popcorn kernals
    Teas for a low/zero calorie drink when I don't want water
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Plan what meals you're going to make in that time-frame and buy ingredients for those lol. Other than things to make my dinners for the week, these items are typical on my grocery list for ME (there are plenty others for my kids and husband)

milk for my protein shakes
    eggs
    bacon
    potatoes - I always have potatoes on hand
    baking ingredients if I'm running low (flour, sugar, cornstarch etc)
    I make sure to stay stocked on all spices I use regularly. I hate it when I go to make a meal and realize I don't have any chili powder (or whatever)
    bread
    turkey
    salami
    mayo, mustard
    lots of fruit for snacking (watermelon, pineapple, blueberries - it's summer)
    frozen edamame for snacking (i'm on a kick)
    some type of packaged cookies or snacky foods like munchies (chex mix type thing) or nuts or something like that.
    this week I got cottage cheese to eat w/ my cucumber and tomatoes from my garden
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I see that several people have listed powdered milk, if you buy organic milk it will last longer (more expensive). This way you will only have to use powered towards the end of your 3 weeks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I see that several people have listed powdered milk, if you buy organic milk it will last longer (more expensive). This way you will only have to use powered towards the end of your 3 weeks.

I buy regular milk but have the powdered milk on hand for if we run out or something.
    You could freeze milk to increase the shelf life.
    From what I read it is not the organic nature of the milk that makes it last longer but being UHT treated. More organic milk is treated that way because it often has to ship farther.

Our regular gallon of the generic brand pasteurized whole milk has been fine for about 2 weeks opened and refrigerated. We have about 1/4 of the gallon left. I don't know if we'll finish it or not before it goes sour.